Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Renewal!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Renewal!
    Posted: August 06 2016 at 07:32
 Folks, this is a thread for any Prog Artist that you used to listen to, but have neglected, and are now returning to in earnest. Something you are now realising your affinity for all over again.
          For me, lately, it has been Gentle Giant. I have all their studio albums on CD, except Civilian, and I have the live album Playing the Fool, as well. It had been ages since I really took the time to appreciate their music, but now am returning to it in a big way. They are truly an exceptional, unique, and not a run of the mill group.

Also, I am re-realising the greatness of German prog band Wallenstein. I have all of their albums up to and including Charlene. It had been quite a while since I heard any of their material, but listened to their debut album Blitzkrieg with a friend last nite, and was so impressed that I want to visit all my albums of theirs that I have. Also, not your run of the mill band; striking both emotionally and technically, I feel they were under-rated in their time.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 07:48
It's Wakeman for me, though it's unlikely I'll be getting into his entire catalogue it's been fun revisiting his albums upto White Rock and a couple of his later offerings.

On the non-Prog but some (not me) say related front, I've been getting into more Al Stewart of late.
What?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 08:04
Recently, l got back to Anthony Phillips. I always heard him from time to time, but I've been listening a lot of his music lately, quite an enjoyable experience.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 11:47
Somehow I missed out on Uriah Heep. Oh I heard several FM singles during the 70's but good stuff was hidden in the deep album cuts.  Over the last year I've been unearthing Uriah Heep artifacts and loving it!  

Recently, I've been blown away by Sly and the Family Stone's 1967 first album "A Whole New Thing".   My wife hit the nail on the head when she said, "That sounds like Frank Zappa."  

Every song sounds unique and yes one song sounds very Zappaesk.   Without hesitation I'd categorize  "A Whole New Thing" as a Proto Prog album.  Try it you like it and I bet you'll be surprised!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 12:25
Two non-prog artists.....Scorpions and Led Zeppelin. Early Scorps had some prog/kraut tendencies, they were my fav metal band as a teen. Lately been spinning more Scorpions, especially the early albums...

Zeppelin, probably like most, just get tired of hearing them. Took a long break and slowly spinning them again and really appreciating Bonham's drumming more.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 13:48
Not really prog, but Heart.  Been doing a thorough re-sweep and love it more than ever.  Even panned albums like Passionworks have great moments. 

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 14:44
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not really prog, but Heart.  Been doing a thorough re-sweep and love it more than ever.  Even panned albums like Passionworks have great moments. 

Good one.......
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 15:15
not prog but steely span/fairport convention.... 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 15:26
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Good one.......

What Finnforest and Catcher said...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 11:08
I usually put away the classics like King Crimson, Yes, Strawbs, etc. and even my favorite Porcupine Tree discs, for a couple of years (unless the urge really strikes). Have enough other music to tide me over that I need to discover/rediscover, then when I go back to my favs they hit me with close to the same impact as they did all those years ago.
I wait about 10 years (probably not so long anymore because I don't know how many more 10 years runs I have left!) between listens of "The Great Deceiver," then put it on and listen to it for a few weeks straight until the rush starts to wear off, then put it on the shelf again.
PROGMATIC
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 12:52
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Somehow I missed out on Uriah Heep. Oh I heard several FM singles during the 70's but good stuff was hidden in the deep album cuts.  Over the last year I've been unearthing Uriah Heep artifacts and loving it!  

Recently, I've been blown away by Sly and the Family Stone's 1967 first album "A Whole New Thing".   My wife hit the nail on the head when she said, "That sounds like Frank Zappa."  

Every song sounds unique and yes one song sounds very Zappaesk.   Without hesitation I'd categorize  "A Whole New Thing" as a Proto Prog album.  Try it you like it and I bet you'll be surprised!

I'm a big Sly fan and it is unbelievably cool to see him mentioned over the forum. The man, as well as the band, was at the very cusp of progressive music...be that funk or rock n soul, but he had something going for him that spurred acts on like Funkadelic, The Temptations and other such groups that suddenly became enamoured with rock and the odd experimental bits. A large part of that was down to Sly, Jimi and Miles imho.
Putting on Stand! as I write this.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 14:05
Prog-related for me....Deep Purple.  I've been getting into them a great deal lately, Gillian's vocals were probably the most powerful in rock in that era.  

Edited by cstack3 - August 12 2016 at 21:24
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 10:41
There a few, prog and not prog

Triumph
Iron Maiden
Spock's Beard
Kings X

Other than Rush, I tend to listen to bands in spurts and will usually focus on the same band. For instance, one day I grabbed an early Kings X disc and gave it a spin. Hadn't listened to any of their music in a long time. Loved it and that started me on a Kings X junket that lasted several months. 

Spock's Beard is a weird one for me. I'll go through periods where I want nothing to do with them and then will dive right back in full force when the mood strikes me. Kinda odd

Edited by Jeffro - August 09 2016 at 10:43
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 14:58
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Spock's Beard is a weird one for me. I'll go through periods where I want nothing to do with them and then will dive right back in full force when the mood strikes me. Kinda odd

That happens to me for a lot of bands. Been a huge Rush fan since teens, but right now I don't think I'd care to listen to any Rush album all the way through (except Maybe Hemispheres). I do, however, like hearing some of their songs in random music mixes as I frequently like listening to shuffled music.

As for a band I'm currently returning to, it is the Decemberists.  Got to like them sort of ok about 4-5 years ago. Listened to very the last 3 years, until I recently started re-spinning a couple of their albums (including "The Crane Wife" today) and I'm thinking I didn't really fully appreciate them before. The "Hazards of Love" is a pretty great album too.

Z
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 15:00

Early Scorps had some prog/kraut tendencies, they were my fav metal band as a teen. Lately been spinning more Scorpions, especially the early albums...

You're digging some Lonesome Crow, right?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 06:02
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Early Scorps had some prog/kraut tendencies, they were my fav metal band as a teen. Lately been spinning more Scorpions, especially the early albums...

You're digging some Lonesome Crow, right?

"Fly to the Rainbow" is actually way better, and the title cut is phenomenal, and needs to be played on a segue with Amon Duul 2's song from "Vive La Trance" (Apocalyptic Bore). Supposedly these were recorded at the same time, and one is a sort of goodbye to drugs and parties and the other ... welcome to the party and let's go! But AD2's is also a goodbye to the romanticism in the whole commune thing, I tend to think, whereas the Scorpions version is more a song for the youngsters at the time. 

I like Scorpions's first two albums and still have them, and FTTR still gets a lot of plays and LOUD, while driving, to the point that one person asked me ... who's that ... and when I told them, they did not believe me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 07:35
a lot of prog can only be properly appreciated (renewed) until after you get married.

The thing is, after you're married, you tend to get a lot more gentle (OP's example Gentle Giant is fitting).

And it's no surprise. People tend to get gentle when they can finally get laid.

I'm thinking Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden. But I wouldn't know. I haven't got married or anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply