Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrealities, b*****s and ?????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 13:41
I don't know exactly what's going on here. All I know, it's completely chaotic - joker, hoovercrafts, Belgians, b***s.... Wow.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 07 2016 at 13:46
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 18:48
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Prog Poll: Should we move this thread to Just For Fun or not?

YES
NO

Give me your answer, plz.
Prog Poll: Should we move this post pertaining to moving a thread to Just For Fun to Just For Fun or not?

YES
NO
http://fryingpanmedia.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 22:27
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! do whatever you f***ing Like this and another topic posts of negative input was the straw which broke the camels back, which means I stop coming here. now wishing I NEVER CAME BACK!!!! so this is the final time I`ll post anything HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 22:58
I never set out to be weird, it was always other people who called me weird.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 23:18
I never set out to be weird either, I just am.

I do wish you'd reconsider, John, and I do regret the negative vibes. You have a unique style at the site, and I think that's a good thing.

I realised after posting my suggestions that that a more academic approach was probably not the way you, or me, would want to approach a Prog Blog. Traditionally blogs are informal writings, but this forum has often been used for more formal articles on prog and explorations of specific aspects of Prog. I think in your other one you were going more for generally discussing Prog's impact on your life and, in a sense, the healing power of the music, plus the general craptitude of certain things such as work. I feared this topic might not be Progcentric enough, but from a personal standpoint for a Progger, Prog and life are conjoined like Siamese twins in a used record store. Or it may be better expressed as a symbiotic relationship like our colons and good bacteria. Where life begins and prog ends is a nonsense, I mean, how long's a piece of string?

Constructive criticism is one thing, although that can be very misplaced, but I think a lot of us, have felt at times that individuals were unduly condescending and/or negative towards us; however, I think a lot of people just have an unfettered sense of fun and games here.

I do think you could make an awesome Prog Blog if you put your mind to it.

EDIT: I have moved this topic to General Discussions since it seems irretrievably off the rails. If you want me to lock it, John, just say the word. And feel free to try another Prog Blog anon.

Edited by Logan - August 07 2016 at 23:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 01:13
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 01:13
I don't believe any one of us set out to be nasty at all. At least, to me, it seemed like a 'humourous' thread
More fool me.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 05:39
I still want to know what a Lonnie tune is. Is it like "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight"?

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 09:04
A refreshing reprieve from the political threads comandeered by quasi political pundits. I do not have to understand it to like it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 09:45
STOP!

Prog Blogs are not the same as normal Forum threads, and they differ in three main respects:
  1. They have a purpose outside the Forum.
  2. They are Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members [on the subject of Progressive Rock].
  3. They are NOT "Owned" by the OP.
Bearing those three things in mind they should (and will) be treated very differently to any other thread regardless of which lounge or subforum those other threads are created in:

1 They have a purpose outside the Forum.

What do I mean by this? Unlike every other lounge or subforum threads posted in the Prog Blogs subforum appear on the main Progressive Archive website. 

For those who may have forgotten, that is the reason this site exist and what this Forum is here to support. Unlike sites like Progressive Ears, the site is not just a Forum, nor is it primarily a Forum that also does other things like publish reviews by "staff writers". It's an online Archive that documents Progressive Rock releases and publishes reviews of them, and here (again, unlike every other online Prog resources) it is also unique in that anyone can write and publish reviews and ratings with the barest minimum of fuss or interference. At the PA, the Forum was set up as a secondary function to allow "members" to talk about stuff and for "collaborators" to discuss operating and maintaining the database. 

So to re-iterate: Prog Archives is a Prog Resource and Review site, the Forum is secondary and ancillary, even if that is the only reason you come here and even if you never visit the main site, read or write reviews or access any of the data in the database.

If you are now wondering where these Prog Blogs appear on the main Progressive Archive website then I could be mean and tell you to go find out for yourself, or I could simply point at the Prog Rock Guides tab and go ta dah!

So all clues as to why (and how) Prog Blogs are not like other threads are there to see: Any Prog Blog automatically gets added to the list of Prog Rock Guides

Therefore they really really (really) ought to be a written to add to that body of work and not just some random collection of muses, unsupported opinion and ramblings.

They are the ONLY way members of this site can add non-review articles to the main Prog Archives website, and in doing that add to the wealth of informative information that users of the PA database have access to. 

In keeping with the whole non-interference ethos of the album reviews - this is with zero editorial control and with the barest barest minimum of fuss or interference. As long as the Blog or Article content fits within the implied purpose, is about Prog specifically and meets the guideline standards for forum content and behaviour then it will be allowed to remain in that area. If not it will be moved by the Admins without discussion (or malice).

They are Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members [on the subject of Progressive Rock].

Well, that's kind of obvious really but something else that people tend to forget or miss. 

The "[They] are Blogs, Editorials, Original articles posted by members" bit is in the Subforum/lounge description and really shouldn't need any further clarification. 

Similarly it should also be self-evident that since the subforum is under the Progressive Music Lounge main forum lounge then they HAVE to be about Progressive Rock, or at least on topics that are related to it. 

As I began this post by talking down to a few people who seem to have forgotten this, I shall continue by listing a few things that they are not:
  1. They are not "personal blogs" - if you want one of those go to World Press.
  2. They are not online diaries or journals.
  3. They are not for topics that have nothing to do with Progressive Rock
  4. They are not for self promotion or aggrandisement.
  5. They are not for A&R promotion or other such advertising.
  6. They are not for "street teams" or other paid/unpaid representatives of bands, artists, labels or distributors, websites or other online music resources and blogs.
  7. They are not links to other off-site Blogs, Editorials or Original articles.
  8. They are not somewhere to post cut'n'pasted articles from other sites or publications.
3 They are NOT "Owned" by the OP.

This bit is not quite as obvious or straight forward as the other two main points, but it goes along with being "one of those things that people often forget". 

No one owns any thread that anyone creates on any lounge, forum or subforum on this site. Being the OP grants no special rights, privileges or skills on the member who created the thread other than being able to edit the Opening Post (and therefore can change the thread title and alter any Poll options if necessary). Once you've started a topic you cease to be its owner.
  • There is no "My Thread" or "My Blog" on this forum - if you open a thread other members can add to it or comment on it as much as they like and how they like as long as they stick to the forum etiquette guidelines. 
  • You cannot complain to an Admin if the thread goes off in a different direction to how you intended
  • You can report a post that you feel breaks the rules but you cannot whine if the thread goes "off topic"
  • If none of this pleases you then don't open topics here, go to another forum and chance your luck there.
What this means for a thread in the Prog Blog lounge is once the Opening Post has been posted it ceases to be a personal me-me-me Blog of any kind. In that sense the "Blog" simply refers to your Opening Post and any additional or supplementary blogs, editorials or articles you post in it (In the "Please Self-Release Me" blog I started such supplementary articles are headed with an emboldened title, every other post I've made in there is simply a comment or reply to someone else's comment)

If someone decides they'll add their opinions on what you have posted, or posts their own addition to the blog-content then there is nothing you can do about it - it isn't your Blog, you don't own it and you have no editorial control over its content. You can of course continue to call it "my blog" or "my thread" since you are the OP and your name is attached to the Opening Post, but that is not a deed of ownership - I often refer to "Please Self-Release Me" as "My Blog", but I don't own it.

If you feel that the off-topic posts have distracted too much from your original Opening Post then you can politely request an Admin either moves the thread out of the Prog Blog lounge or ... and this requires a lot of justification and they can still say "no" ... you can ask them to hide the off-topic posts.

Now. Having said all that. There is an unwritten etiquette that people can chose to follow if they so desire - they can unofficially honour you with ownership of the thread and act accordingly, but they don't have to. 

Similarly the Admins can chose to move or not to move threads that aren't in the spirit (see point 2) of the Prog Blog lounge (for example: here) if they so desire. 

Conclusion and Summary

Prog Blog threads are not like other threads. Since they form part of, and add to, an online repository of information related specifically to Progressive Rock listed on the main Prog Archive website in the main they really should lean towards being factual, educational and informative, and written in an almost scholarly and publishable fashion. With that, (since the PA does not impose any editorial control over the content), they must be open to "peer review and comment" and those comments also ought to be approached with the same 'semi-professional' rigor as the Blog itself.

Treat Prog Blogs with respect, both in starting them and in commenting and contributing to them.

Edited by Dean - August 08 2016 at 10:24
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 10:00
One would think that such a post shouldn't be necessary, especially seeing as the OP actually went through all of this before with much the same result, but then again the language barrier some times messes with perception.
I'm glad you took the time out to explain things in depth, Dean.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2016 at 12:16
It might be good to include your considerably thorough explanatory post, Dean, in "Site rules and guidelines", then offering a link possibly could save some painful explaining and maybe even some tears. I would like to replace the big, red "STOP!" with the more friendly "DON'T PANIC" in large letters.

And David, love to have a beer or some such thing with you at some time in some place. Thought I might be back in Copenhagen this year, but it wasn't to be.   
Just a fanboy passin' through.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 22:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I still want to know what a Lonnie tune is. Is it like "Does your chewing gum lose its flavour on the bedpost overnight"?

its a personnel way which is how I state my own " Metal Health Issue" Ok dude... 

Music Is Live

<
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 05:11
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

its a personnel way which is how I state my own " Metal Health Issue" Ok dude... 
You mean "looney tune"?

By the way - "now wishing I NEVER CAME BACK!!!! so this is the final time I`ll post anything HERE!!!!!!!!!!! " Wink
Welcome back.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 21:44

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

You mean "looney tune"?

By the way - "now wishing I NEVER CAME BACK!!!! so this is the final time I`ll post anything HERE!!!!!!!!!!! " Wink
Welcome back.

the " Lonney Tunes " is a funny ways other persons see my own " Metal Health Issues " which isn't funny really its just that`s what it is...Wink " NEVER COMING BACK " wasn't truthful due to the facts of how much the awesome " Progressive Rock Music " means to me!!!!!!WinkLOL 

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 21:48
there`s a awesome amount of lists of "Vinyl`s, Cd`s, Magazines, Books and Dvd`s " to catch up with. there isn't much spare time to get around to all of it................ 

Music Is Live

<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 21:58
There is a f***k load of vinyl to listen to with not a lot of f'ing time left in the world to do it in...
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 01:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

There is a f***k load of vinyl to listen to with not a lot of f'ing time left in the world to do it in...

oh yes Catcher 10.................Clap

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 05:49
well more boring bits, which will enter the realm of inner madness with the metal health issues surely wouldn't, shouldn't and couldn't remove myself from myself can I...  

Music Is Live

<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12