Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedlarks tongue in aspic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: larks tongue in aspic
    Posted: August 09 2016 at 07:57
a very intriguing release listened, to on the weekend,previously owned the lp It was by all standards ,a record that I really did not enjoy ,I became a king crim fan, by listening to a young persons guide to king crimson was very enamored with the court of the king crimson ,so I was astounded that this cutting edge fusion type journey, that fripp and co was not appreciated by myself,who much preferred melody, over clashing improvisational material, but alas I had to concede this on remastered cd the vocals and percussion are now front and center ,in one word a masterwork putting European prog on the map.Few can disagree ,unless there is other BANDS that produced music, that can measure up to this ?

Edited by grantman - August 09 2016 at 08:32
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 08:24
For whatever reason, I have avoided King Crimson but I have recently decided to rectify that. Listened to a bit of Red as well as Discipline and I like what I've heard so far. Larks Tongue will be soon, very soon
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 10:05
KC took me 20yrs to appreciate enough to begin to buy all their albums. Back in the 70's had no interest in them, then in 90's began to listen to them more and began to enjoy it. I still do not like Fripp much at all, I am not a fan of bands that change line ups as the wind changes direction. I own up to Discipline and nothing after, that's where I totally lose interest.
Red is amazing as is LTIA.....
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 11:44
The Steven Wilson remix of Larks' Tongues is one of the best I've heard from him.

The SW remix of ELP's Tarkus is great sonically, but what he edited out is a crime.  I see why he doesn't like remixing ELP.  He just doesn't understand their music.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 14:16
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

The Steven Wilson remix of Larks' Tongues is one of the best I've heard from him.

The SW remix of ELP's Tarkus is great sonically, but what he edited out is a crime.  I see why he doesn't like remixing ELP.  He just doesn't understand their music.

That has truly helped me enjoy KC the past couple years even more, since I am 98% vinyl, having these new issues is pretty sweet. The remastered CDs from the 90s are pretty awful compared to these now, and my original vinyl issues are not played anymore, the veil of the 70s recordings has been lifted.

Unless I find a super cheap sale on Tarkus remix version, I will not be buying it. Side II is dreadful Dead and I have a German original pressing that is in very good shape. I can't see spending $30 for just Side I......Confused
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 14:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

That has truly helped me enjoy KC the past couple years even more, since I am 98% vinyl, having these new issues is pretty sweet. The remastered CDs from the 90s are pretty awful compared to these now, and my original vinyl issues are not played anymore, the veil of the 70s recordings has been lifted.

Unless I find a super cheap sale on Tarkus remix version, I will not be buying it. Side II is dreadful Dead and I have a German original pressing that is in very good shape. I can't see spending $30 for just Side I......Confused

Oops, I meant ELP's self titled album.  SW turns "The Three Fates" into the "The One Fate", and uses only the drum solo from "Tank".

SW's Tarkus is pretty good.

ST, Tarkus, Pictures, and Trilogy have just been reissued, and list at about $15.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 15:03
^ $15 for CD...vinyl runs about $25-30 normally.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2016 at 18:34
Absolutely no interest for these SW remixes...have already spent too much on remasters/re-issues...I'll stick with the 30th éditions, they sound great and Larks a classic, of course.

Edited by Barbu - August 09 2016 at 18:41
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 11:22
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Absolutely no interest for these SW remixes...have already spent too much on remasters/re-issues...I'll stick with the 30th éditions, they sound great and Larks a classic, of course.

Wilson's Larks' Tongues is spectacular.  Especially in 5.1
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2016 at 12:05

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Wilson's Larks' Tongues is spectacular.  Especially in 5.1

I have no doubt about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply