Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroducing prog to friends...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introducing prog to friends...?
    Posted: August 13 2016 at 18:00
What are the best albums to start with? I know that every progressive rock band has its own distinct sound. I feel like the only way is having someone watch a documentary.
A lot of times when I play it for my girlfriends, (some of my friends were always into prog by the way, just not certain friends) they say that I listen to "interesting music" and comment on how "jumbled up the sound was" (i.e. When I played Close to the Edge).
I was never really "introduced" to prog. It was one of the many music genres my parents loved, and they played it so much when I came out of the womb. (And even inside the womb)
Does anyone have experience "introducing" prog to friends?
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 18:33
Here are a couple of semi-recent threads that tread on this topic:

I've introduced prog to quite a few family and friends, and even a house full of sorority girls, and here's what I've noticed:
  • The less you hype it up, the better it is received. See: my story about the sorority house (it's in one of the above links). Essentially, I was chosen to DJ for a bunch of college-age girls who mostly listen to top 40 hits. I started out just by putting on some accessible hard rock and classic rock and of course, no one batted an eye. They went along with it. After awhile, I decided to slip on The Yes Album to see how they'd react. Sure enough, they enjoyed it, too. Not once did I ask, "wanna hear some prog?" or "you better listen closely to this because it's a prog masterpiece!". I'm sure that if I did, it would have jinxed it. As it happened, though, I gave them no expectations going into it and they took it in as they would any other music. 
  • Find prog that's similar to what they already like. This is pretty intuitive and, frankly, very effective. There's no sense in taking someone who only listens to hip hop and putting on Supper's Ready for them, or playing ELP to inspire awe into a country and western fanatic. I've noticed that people with some sort of classical background and formal musical training tend to be readily receptive of symphonic prog, so that's always a big first step. Though that doesn't restrict people who are fans of other genres. Metal head? Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Relayer are good starting points. More into folk music? Harmonium would be my first thought, but there's plenty of good folk-y prog. Blues aficionado? Early Gentle Giant or even some Pink Floyd might work for them. Basically the key is to find good "gateway" groups that bridge non-prog genres with prog rock. 
  • Use quality audio equipment. Prog can be, as your girlfriend said, "jumbled up", and playing it on laptop speakers or through cheap earbuds certainly doesn't help. Make sure that if you're going to put on some music for someone who's never heard it before (and this goes for any genre), commit to it and use the most hi-fi setup you have. When practiced alongside the other two tips above, it'll pretty much be guaranteed that they'll have a positive first impression with the music and they'll be a lot more interested in putting some on again.
I think that if you follow those three tips, you should be able to get just about anyone on the planet to enjoy at least some prog. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 21:09
I pretty much agree with what's said above. Either find something that may fit their tastes, or just turn it on and ask what they think. That's what I do, I don't bother mentioning genres often. If it sounds good, it's good. Smile

Edited by Pastmaster - August 13 2016 at 21:09
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 08:53
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I pretty much agree with what's said above. Either find something that may fit their tastes, or just turn it on and ask what they think. That's what I do, I don't bother mentioning genres often. If it sounds good, it's good. Smile
Well said. My option of choice also.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 09:33
Originally posted by Miss Soprenor Miss Soprenor wrote:

I do and have found more success in introducing them with less popular bands than mainstream ones. More progressive and ... interesting to listen to. More quality.. less ham and cheese

Hit them with the German and Italian sh*t.. not the mediocre English stuff. I expose my friends to that stuff and they eat it alive.  No matter what album ratings say here.. the english stuff isn't better.. only what most prog fans grew up listening to.. big difference between first impressions and nostalgia.  Groups like Dull, f**king Camel and Genesis suck when compared to what others did..  they are popular more for nostalgia than their actual quality LOL

hah...

Edited by micky - August 14 2016 at 09:34
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 09:45
Yeah but does it depend on age and experience Mick?

Would you make different choices to introduce prog to old rock warhorses like us, than you would to teens who have listened mostly to pop/indie and hip hop so far?  (I'm thinking of my teen nieces here versus old middle aged friends.)  Would you throw RPI at both groups right out of the gate?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 10:07
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Miss Soprenor Miss Soprenor wrote:

I do and have found more success in introducing them with less popular bands than mainstream ones. More progressive and ... interesting to listen to. More quality.. less ham and cheese

Hit them with the German and Italian sh*t.. not the mediocre English stuff. I expose my friends to that stuff and they eat it alive.  No matter what album ratings say here.. the english stuff isn't better.. only what most prog fans grew up listening to.. big difference between first impressions and nostalgia.  Groups like Dull, f**king Camel and Genesis suck when compared to what others did..  they are popular more for nostalgia than their actual quality LOL

hah...

Yep, don't be afraid to play international stuff. Just about everyone likes RPI the first time they hear it. 

Of course, even the groups that Micky doesn't like can still be effective, it just depends who you're trying to cater to. I've introduced a friend to prog via Camel. It just so happened that his favourite genre was easy listening! LOL As for Gabriel-era Genesis, it can work, you just really have to commit. And I'm talking ALL the way. As in, put on your flower costume and prance around, go for the full theatrics. 100% success rate for me so far. 

Jethro Tull on the other hand... I have yet to find any friends who like to listen exclusively to lullabies, so no luck here. Big smile

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 10:11
I guess it really doesn't matter Jim... it isn't like I am setting out to convert them... thus yes. I have my experiences with both young and old.

It is just exposing them via my own preferences.  I love having music while I work for example... and it has been Battiato more than any one specific one that got my coworkers, and a good number of my customers to stop me and ask...who is that.. I LOVE that.  Give me that much.... then I am on it like stink on sh*t. I'll explain to them what it is.  20 something blacks.. 50 something housewives...  doesn't matter. Music is music...

music is music... it is about the heart not the brain....and masters of melody touches all of us. Be it Whitney...Willie ....or Franco

therein in the key... music.  No one has a grasp or ear for melody like Italians.. why is RPI so beloved.. and the Germans.. well that is bit more of stretch in terms of melody LOL but still what it may lack in basic appeal for hitting you where it counts it hits in a shear far out sense.  Most listeners have heard and can relate to great melodies that touch you... but the Germans... I've found many take to it...for they haven't heard anything like it. IN that it I've found a strong reaction to those first exposed to it. In many cases extremely positive.

and the lack of englishness to it... more a benefit than a detriment.  Again.. prog fans are a distinct minority. For most.. music is sensory.. not intellectual.  Nothing is more off putting than distracting and silly lyrics that mean nothing. For those in the gen pop that care about lyrics.. they want themes that speak DIRECTLY to them. ie Country music.. not some pseudo philosophical bullsh*t.. or too clever by half lyrics that make no sense. IN that way.. 'foreign' prog as it were.... i've found is the best to expose people to.  Where the voice is an instrument.. and the music speaks for itself.

Edited by micky - August 14 2016 at 10:13
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 10:14
I agree with that.  Just thinking of my niece.  I admit to giving her Floyd and PT (sorry MickLOL) both of which she enjoyed very much.   I never even thought of starting her out with something like Darwin.  But perhaps it is time nowEvil Smile

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 10:22
try it.. see what happens! Clap

though neice? I'd hit her with Uomo di Pezza myself. Thumbs Up
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 13:29
Something that's worked for me is looking at bands on the radio (in my case ones that are only big here in Canada) with sounds that push the boundaries of what's normally on rock radio. Then, dig into their discography a bit and find a song that's even more proggy than what they have on the radio and show it to friends. If they end up listening to whole CDs by that band, you can start throwing fully prog things at them that are somehow similar.

Example: Rush - everyone's heard A Farewell to Kings so suggest La Villa Strangiato from the same album (say something like "if you like guitar solos, check this out!") then they might go ahead themselves and listen to Xanadu. -> Then recommend Porcupine Tree maybe. They have hard rock + psychedellic tracks too.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 13:52
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Something that's worked for me is looking at bands on the radio (in my case ones that are only big here in Canada) with sounds that push the boundaries of what's normally on rock radio. Then, dig into their discography a bit and find a song that's even more proggy than what they have on the radio and show it to friends. If they end up listening to whole CDs by that band, you can start throwing fully prog things at them that are somehow similar.

Example: Rush - everyone's heard A Farewell to Kings so suggest La Villa Strangiato from the same album (say something like "if you like guitar solos, check this out!") then they might go ahead themselves and listen to Xanadu. -> Then recommend Porcupine Tree maybe. They have hard rock + psychedellic tracks too.

I think the radio technique depends strongly on the country you live in...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2016 at 18:52
I made a "Best Of Prog" mix CD for my wife who generally only likes pop stuff:

Roundabout
Carry On Wayward Son
Follow You, Follow Me
Karn Evil 9
Hocus Pocus
Tom Sawyer
Aqualung
Us And Them

(you get the point)

Worked like a charm. Now she wants to go to Cruise To The Edge. Victory is mine!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 04:23
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I made a "Best Of Prog" mix CD for my wife who generally only likes pop stuff:

Roundabout
Carry On Wayward Son
Follow You, Follow Me
Karn Evil 9
Hocus Pocus
Tom Sawyer
Aqualung
Us And Them

(you get the point)

Worked like a charm. Now she wants to go to Cruise To The Edge. Victory is mine!
Nice mix for a neophyte. Thumbs Up
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 09:12
I just simply say "Prog please meet Mr/Mrs X, Mr/Mrs X please meet prog" and then pour a few glasses of wine and let the interactin begin :)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 09:34
If they don't like what I like it's their loss.....More for me.....Get off my lawn!!
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 22:37
Some of my friends I knew from the start had rejected Prog early on.  It was really no sense in trying as they have that minimalist music mindset.   They already consider themselves musically sophisticated, more sophisticated than prog rock, but it was about style and fashion more than complexity, but I think it takes complexity to create some textures, so I always thought there was as much "style" in Prog rock. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 02:50
I don't bother trying these days. Most people I know like music which is painful to my ears, with a few exceptions. They find prog rock comical, boring or both.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 06:56
If someone asks me what music I listen to, I try not to answer to complicated. Those who have heard prog find it occasionally interesting but only to a certain level. One of my friends wrote on a birthday note to me "I like hearing your interesting music". Another friend who is very well educated already knew what prog was before I told him and he respects my music choice.
User Banned for this Post
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 07:15
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

Some of my friends I knew from the start had rejected Prog early on.  It was really no sense in trying as they have that minimalist music mindset.   They already consider themselves musically sophisticated, more sophisticated than prog rock, but it was about style and fashion more than complexity, but I think it takes complexity to create some textures, so I always thought there was as much "style" in Prog rock. 

There's plenty of minimalist prog to go around, too. Prog electronic, psychedelic/space rock, some fusion can all be quite ambient.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>