Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIntroducing prog to friends...?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 07:24
Well one of the hottest girls in my workplace liked it immediately when I played Porcupine Tree's "Even Less" one day.

What does this mean?  It's important to have a mainstream drum sound, a mainstream guitar sound, and basically a mainstream alternative rock sound. And it's important to have Steven Wilson's voice. Girls love that stuff.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 16:17
When I moved to this area I nowadays live, I knew nobody here. But soon, mainly through my kids soccer training, I met and made friends many nice people. When they first time visited our house and saw my record collection, they usually said something like "oh I like music too" etc.
After first collection investigation nobody was anymore interested of my albums. Yes, they still are my friends but we don't talk about music. When we listen some music, it's radio and 70's and 80's hits or something.
I'm happy with this situation. Some of my oldest friends are prog fanatics, so I'm not totally alone with prog. And my rottie Tosca, she loves everything I listen Smile

Edited by akaBona - August 26 2016 at 16:17
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 18:16
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Well one of the hottest girls in my workplace liked it immediately when I played Porcupine Tree's "Even Less" one day.

What does this mean?  It's important to have a mainstream drum sound, a mainstream guitar sound, and basically a mainstream alternative rock sound. And it's important to have Steven Wilson's voice. Girls love that stuff.
Well said! I couldn't have put better. Clap
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 03:56
Many of my friends like this album very much:

Quantum Fantay: Terragaia (Belgium-2014).
The spiritual sons of Ozric Tentacles. (18/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=44769
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjyGIgl5D5Q

paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 08:37
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Many of my friends like this album very much:

Quantum Fantay: Terragaia (Belgium-2014).
The spiritual sons of Ozric Tentacles. (18/20)
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=44769
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjyGIgl5D5Q

Well it looks like a metal album but it's under the Psychedelic/Space rock category.

Just gimme some word of mouth suggestion: do you think I will like it?  (hint: I like metal)
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 22:27
About a week and a half ago, my friend and I showed a group of our other friends all 23 minutes of Echoes by Pink Floyd. Many of them quite hated it, I kept getting them excited for the one guitar riff during the build up at the end. When it came, one of them yelled "I waited 20 minutes for THIS?" It was actually pretty funny.

But more importantly, later that day, I showed this girl So Sincere by Gentle Giant. I was almost certain she would hate it but she loved it. I showed her some other funny prog rock songs and she liked them as well. No, she wasn't too atractive, but now I can say I met a girl who likes Gentle Giant
User Banned for this Post
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 22:48
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

About a week and a half ago, my friend and I showed a group of our other friends all 23 minutes of Echoes by Pink Floyd. Many of them quite hated it, I kept getting them excited for the one guitar riff during the build up at the end. When it came, one of them yelled "I waited 20 minutes for THIS?" It was actually pretty funny.

But more importantly, later that day, I showed this girl So Sincere by Gentle Giant. I was almost certain she would hate it but she loved it. I showed her some other funny prog rock songs and she liked them as well. No, she wasn't too atractive, but now I can say I met a girl who likes Gentle Giant

You see, your fatal error there was too try to hype everyone up about the music. That's a pretty surefire way to make people disappointed in my experience. Odd that Echoes was so poorly received, though. Floyd is usually a crowd pleaser. I suppose it depends on the mood and context.

That's funny with the Gentle Giant story, though. To my surprise, I once accidentally turned a whole group of sorority girls onto Acquiring The Taste. No clue how that happened. I guess a lot of people are just naturally inclined to like ridiculous music on some fundamental level. Similarly, my buddy, who's a Justin Bieber fan of all things, was rocking out to Hocus Pocus by Focus with me the other day and loving it; he thought the song was hilarious. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 21:54
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

You see, your fatal error there was too try to hype everyone up about the music. That's a pretty surefire way to make people disappointed in my experience. Odd that Echoes was so poorly received, though. Floyd is usually a crowd pleaser. I suppose it depends on the mood and context.

That's funny with the Gentle Giant story, though. To my surprise, I once accidentally turned a whole group of sorority girls onto Acquiring The Taste. No clue how that happened. I guess a lot of people are just naturally inclined to like ridiculous music on some fundamental level. Similarly, my buddy, who's a Justin Bieber fan of all things, was rocking out to Hocus Pocus by Focus with me the other day and loving it; he thought the song was hilarious. 

Indeed I have found Echoes to be easy to love by non prog fans, at least for people who have gotten somewhat into Pink Floyd. Oh yeah, and I do love that build-up guitar... well, not just the guitar, but all of it, however, somehow they have never gotten it quiet right on live versions. And yeah, the first thing I notice was the guitar; well, I think it's a guitar, I supose there are two, first the U2-like sounding one, and then the heavier one, and that's the one I love and which is usually not as strong on the live versions. But what's even more, later on I got to notice Wright's keyboard solo on this build-up, and that's the gem of the part, perhaps the most beautiful solo from him, and it's totally absent on the live versions!!!

Edited by Dellinger - November 25 2016 at 21:58
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 03:58
I find it interesting when someone puts forth the observation that some music appeals to heart and emotion (good) but if there is an intellectual quality to it then immediate override. That intelligent music cannot have an emotional appeal is utter rubbish.

Or that music that does have a highly sophisticated component to it in developed composition is lesser than something that is immediate. Reminds me of the more annoying aspects of Rolling Stone.

I heard Topographic Oceans Side 3 when I was a kid and thought it was great.

Give me the great British bands who started the whole thing than the watered down Budweiser (when you should be drinking Czech Budvar for the real thing - flavour, body and strength) to American watered down versions like the more flaccid moments of Styx or Kansas.

And yes, the Italian bands are fine as they are coming from a classical background unlike British bands that had the challenge of abandoning the umbilicial cord of blues - before metal did and being very progressive. And kick starting the Italian scene all of whom thought Genesis nd King Crimson were the business. And who am I or anyone else to disagree with these guys?
Miss Soprenor View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 23:28
Dude....I'm a girl
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 20:00
I was never able to successfully introduce it to many people. I had one friend a long time ago who seemed rather receptive it to it but when he got a girlfriend I pretty much lost touch with him. I'm pretty sure he bought tales from topographic oceans though because of my telling him about bands like Yes(who he was already vaguely familiar with). My brother never really took to it however despite him liking Yes and also seeing them and King Crimson with me. He saw Yes with me two different times, King Crimson once and Jon Anderson solo once. He never really warmed up to prog much other than them and some early Genesis(most of which I actually bought for him because I knew he liked Peter Gabriel). 

I agree that it's definitely something you can't force on people. The more excited about it and the more you try to push it on people the more resistant they will be. Prog is one of those things that you either like it or you don't. It's kind of like wine or beer or just about any other acquired taste that way. 

Joe: Hey Dave, do you like prog?

Dave: You mean the capital of czech republic?

Joe: No, the music genre.

Dave: No, what the f**k is that?

Joe: Do you like Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson, Rush, ELP and Pink Floyd?

Dave: I sure do. Great bands.

Joe: Well, you like prog then and you didn't even know it. LOL

Unfortunately(or fortunately if you want to turn people on to great but more obscure stuff)this will often be the case. A lot of people especially "classic rock" fans like the more well known bands of the genre but have no idea of something called prog. And you can't explore something you don't know so they get stuck with lumping those great bands with all the other stuff that is maybe not as exciting or interesting.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 08 2016 at 20:00
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 21:06
If my friend is into pop: neo-prog bands, some Marillion or IQ (I hate Marillion, but it might serve as a gateway) or 80's Genesis/Yes

If my friend is into death metal: Opeth or Nocturnus

If my friend is into power/speed metal: Angra, Dream Theater, Symphony X or Spiral Architect

If my friend is into Bjork, Radiohead and indie crap: Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree...even some Jethro Tull

If my friend is into Rush, PF, Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater but doesn't know anything about prog, I go big: Yes, Genesis, ELP, Camel
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 21:29
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

If my friend is into pop: neo-prog bands, some Marillion or IQ (I hate Marillion, but it might serve as a gateway) or 80's Genesis/Yes

If my friend is into death metal: Opeth or Nocturnus

If my friend is into power/speed metal: Angra, Dream Theater, Symphony X or Spiral Architect

If my friend is into Bjork, Radiohead and indie crap: Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree...even some Jethro Tull

If my friend is into Rush, PF, Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater but doesn't know anything about prog, I go big: Yes, Genesis, ELP, Camel

Great choices! The best results always come from introducing people to stuff that's similar to what they already like. Those bands are more or less what I'd pick in those circumstances.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2017 at 19:18
Frost* is my go-to band for "introducing" prog to my friends. The new album 'Falling Satellites' seems to be particularly effective, as I've successfully converted 5 people with that album alone.

I also like to make mixed CD's with "shorter songs" for people to listen to. I actually made one last week, and it looked like this:

1. Muse - Knights of Cydonia
2. Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase
3. Frost* - Signs
4. Satellite - Why
5. Rush - Marathon
6. Flying Colors - Everything Changes
7. It Bites - Meadow and the Stream
8. School Food Punishment - Overflow (look it up, it's very good)
9. Steve Vai - Freak Show Excess
10. Yes - Into the Storm
11. Savatage - The Hourglass
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 20:17
Me: Hey do you guys like prog?

Joe: You mean the capital of Czech republic? I don't know. I've never been there.

John: I think he means prog rock

Me: Yes I do.

Joe: Don't know it

John: I like Pink Floyd. Do they count?

Me: Sure

Joe: Oh ok. I like Van Halen, Iron Maiden, The Stones and Bruce Springsteen. What do I win?

Me: Nothing because you suck. You obviously don't know what I'm talking about.

John: I do. It's pretentious garbage like Yes and early Genesis. Pass. That stuff died in the late seventies anyway.

Me: Ummmmmmm. Yeah, ok. Whatever. Confused 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 20:39
Most people don't care about having quality music taste. They just listen to the radio and follow the trends. They don't want to try to listen to quality because no one else they know listens to it.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 21:06
I can get people into prog. I like my prog to be perfect. Nice melody, good sound, good vocals etc. I don't like overdone prog. E.g. Over complex, too medieval, too jazzy, too cheesy, too folky, too old sounding. I don't listen to so called pretentious prog. Most proggers go over the top with their prog. A good example check out the rating of hoelderlins traum compared to rare birds. Rare birds smashes traums unless you're a flower power stoned hippie. But of course trauma has a stronger rating. You gotta play quality prog if you want to get people into it
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 21:20
I was just listening to Big Big Train's "English Electric" albums. I guess those might work with some people, they are definitley prog, but they don't go into wacky excess, and the melodies are beautiful, and I guess even catchy.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 01:58
What's pretentious about prog rock anyway?
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2017 at 15:52
For her: Supertramp, Blackfield (and Different light: The burden of paradise Thumbs Up)
For him: IQ
Tested and verified in France Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>