Topic ClosedMarillion on the radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion on the radio
    Posted: August 15 2016 at 04:46
I'm sitting at a street cafe in Bucharest and there is a radio station playing on a speaker nearby. I'm not sure what station it is but most of the songs are either Romanian/Hungarian or schmaltzy Anglo-pop like Celine Dion or Peter Cetera.

Then for whatever reason they played "Lavender" from 'Misplaced Childhood'. Yeah it's kind of poppy too but the only thing I've ever heard on the radio from that album is "Kayleigh".

Anyway, just thought that was interesting.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 08:57
Hi Bob!
I just like that you are at a street cafe in Bucharest  Tongue
Ken
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 09:08
Sometimes, out of the blue, you get to hear some nice music in similar situations, like the time I was watching some gymnastic competition, and they were playing "Thick As A Brick" on the background.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 10:08
Or that time I was having a tooth extracted and 21st Century Schizoid Man start blaring on the office speakers

... I wish. The actual background music was some of the most turgid, insipid 80s pop dreck provided by Sirius XM channel The 80s on 8.
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 11:00
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Sometimes, out of the blue, you get to hear some nice music in similar situations, like the time I was watching some gymnastic competition, and they were playing "Thick As A Brick" on the background.

Okay that's weird.  Cool, but weird.  At least it wasn't Cross-Eyed Mary LOL

Albert Camus
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 11:07
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I'm sitting at a street cafe in Bucharest and there is a radio station playing on a speaker nearby. I'm not sure what station it is but most of the songs are either Romanian/Hungarian or schmaltzy Anglo-pop like Celine Dion or Peter Cetera.

Then for whatever reason they played "Lavender" from 'Misplaced Childhood'. Yeah it's kind of poppy too but the only thing I've ever heard on the radio from that album is "Kayleigh".

I was at university in late 1985 (looking back, it was right after Marillion released Misplaced Childhood, but I didn't know about the band yet, though I was very much into early Genesis at the time) and remember Kayleigh coming on the radio.  I remember being quite struck by it, but back then the DJ's held off telling you what had been played until you had listened to a few songs.  Then, a friend gifted me the MC album at the following Christmas, and - it floored me. Like nothing I'd ever heard before.  But, I don't think I ever heard Marillion on the radio again after that. At least not in the U.S.  Sad to think so many are missing out on such high quality music...Cry
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 11:51
Originally posted by CapnBearbossa CapnBearbossa wrote:

Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I was at university in late 1985 (looking back, it was right after Marillion released Misplaced Childhood, but I didn't know about the band yet, though I was very much into early Genesis at the time) and remember Kayleigh coming on the radio.  I remember being quite struck by it, but back then the DJ's held off telling you what had been played until you had listened to a few songs.  Then, a friend gifted me the MC album at the following Christmas, and - it floored me. Like nothing I'd ever heard before.  But, I don't think I ever heard Marillion on the radio again after that. At least not in the U.S.  Sad to think so many are missing out on such high quality music...Cry

Yeah I was also in college when that album came out and it blew me away like nothing else I heard that entire decade, except maybe R.E.M.'s 'Chronic Town' and 'Murmur'.  Hard to believe Marillion didn't achieve more success in the States during the Fish years ...

Albert Camus
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 12:15

I don't know if anyone else caught this but during the broadcast of the women's gymnastics last week you could hear strands of Gilmour's guitar from "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" playing during someone's floor routine. 
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 13:20
I sometimes see Lavender when browsing Various - Greatest Hits packages; maybe it was a bigger hit then expected?

tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 13:53

Interesting you should mention that. While watching gymnastics this past week I heard WYWH in the background as music to someone's floor exercise.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2016 at 14:01
I heard that too. The most emberassing was that my sister noticed it before me (I wasn't really paying attention) and said: "hey Pascal, isn't that Dream Theater?"
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2016 at 11:44
I first heard Marillion on the radio in the early 80s.  It was on the campus radio station at the university I was attending in Northern California (Humboldt State).  They played Jigsaw from the Fugazi album.  At first I thought it was a Genesis reunion, but it did not sound quite right.  It was only after a few listens I came to know it was a new band.  I bought the album and loved it from the first listen.  To this day it is still my favorite Marillion album (but then, I only truly like the Fish era).  I heard them quoted on the same radio station that they did not intend to sound like Genesis but that since they took a very similar approach to making music there were some parallels.  They did not make a very big splash here in the U.S. even though I always saw their albums in the stores.  I think I also heard those PF samples during the Olympics.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
 Post Reply Post Reply