Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWould you fight for your country..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: If you were ordered to by a draft
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.78%]
4 [11.11%]
7 [19.44%]
13 [36.11%]
2 [5.56%]
9 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 04:53
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I never served a day of my life in the military...damn straight I would fight for my country.
I'd fight for your country too, just not for mine.........
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 07:25
There'd have to be a really good reason. Short of militants actively storming the country, there's not much I'd be willing to pick up a gun for. 
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 06:38
One scenario:

"Them maniacs have shot up my major city! Well I'm going to sign up and fight them!"
*Signs up
"Hey wait! Why are you sending me to the Russian border? I want to fight the maniacs!"
"Ours is not to question why..."

Careful what you wish for!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 00:51
No.

While I am a coward, totally sincere, and would say I'm generally a pacifist, I went with other...because I have problems with strong nationalism. It's funny since I'm somewhat an  "economic nationalist" but really I'm not very nationalist in the "America f**k yeah!" style It's....where I was bornLOL That simple and I had no say in the matter, so I wouldnt risk my life and more so take other lives for simply being born here. 

Also ya know, stuff like how (sorry if this is controversial, I dont think it'll be here) fighting for the country in reality is being shipped off to kill others. Sadly, the people who die often do so not really protecting our freedom or lives, I feel.

Anyway, in a legitimate situation, let's say WWII, I am still not very sure I would volunteer to do it, and let's say we were invaded...a foreign force has landed here and is actively taking over my home town...a truly sincere "defending myself and my people" situation, I am still not sure I would fight. 
 That is the situation though I could ever imagine myself possibly doing it, an honest to god invasion of our country and need to defend those I love. Note: This is more about those I personally love and am close to. Not so much "my country"

Though if possible to hunker down and defend, or better yet flee....I'd take it. Like I said, I fully admit I am a cowardLOL

Edited by JJLehto - August 26 2016 at 00:57
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 02:54
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Anyway, in a legitimate situation, let's say WWII, I am still not very sure I would volunteer to do it, and let's say we were invaded...a foreign force has landed here and is actively taking over my home town...a truly sincere "defending myself and my people" situation, I am still not sure I would fight. 
 That is the situation though I could ever imagine myself possibly doing it, an honest to god invasion of our country and need to defend those I love. Note: This is more about those I personally love and am close to. Not so much "my country"
America has been involved in 94 wars since it became a nation but only one of them involved foreign forces actually 'invading' (though technically those 'invaders' were former landlords stepping in to stop America invading its neighbour in the North) because basically from an invasion perspective America is an island, (albeit an effing big one), with 5000 miles of water on either side that makes it quite hard to attack as long as they keep their nextdoor neighbours sweet. America learnt one thing from that 1814/15 invasion: to defend a big island you need big ships, which is why the US Navy has big ships (well, they also learnt that rockets have a red glare but the significance of that didn't occur to them until 150 years later). The much later attack on Pearl Harbour (which wasn't a 'boots on the ground' invasion) gave two more big ship lessons - if foreigners also have big ships America needs even bigger ships and it would be really good if foreigners don't have big ships at all. All of which means that a military invasion of the American mainland by foreigners is highly unlikely. The biggest threat America faces is itself and at present y'all seem quite content to do nothing about that because of a piece of paper written over 200 years ago. 

Edited by Dean - August 26 2016 at 02:59
What?
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:50
No, I'm a coward and would plead insanity..............

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 03 2016 at 01:51
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 02:00
With full globalization not too far in the future, the question will be more like 'would you fight for the world against those of its own making--?'

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 15:19
I'm kinda scrawny, short, have bad eyes and don't take well to being told what to do and not question it. Also a firm believer in keeping my and other peoples' insides inside.

EDIT: That does not coumt medical experts who are trained in taking people apart and putting them back together again.

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - October 03 2016 at 15:20
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 15:34
also various erotic prolapses
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 00:48
No, I hate borders.

I work for the central bureau for refugees. And I love my job, but would rather that my job was not necessary.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 01:31
Peace and love Man no wars dude

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 05:31
The concept of borders and nationality is completely strange to me, I identify with Culture and Thinking not with a flag and a hymn (sounds much presumptious but it's as sincere as I can be).
Anyway, if my country were involved in  a good cause (or against a bad one) I don't know as I would respond.
 I guess one  can't  really  anticipate how will react in a limit situation, can we?
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 05:54
Well, what does my country do for me ? I'm in the UK. We have a collapsing national health system, stagnant wages, not many workers' right as compared to Europe, Victorian sewage systems, permanently late and overpriced trains, a collapsing infrastructure, rip off shop prices, the lowest pensions of any major European nation, rampant house inflation, and oh yes, we're the richest of the G7 Nations. 

Have your gun back. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 15:51
Do you think it'd be ok to instead of Fighting just do F**king for your country........ both start with F? You could be Captain F**k!

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 10 2016 at 15:52
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 15:59
I wouldn't grab them by the pussy for my country 

Edited by The T - October 10 2016 at 16:00
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 16:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

America has been involved in 94 wars since it became a nation but only one of them involved foreign forces actually 'invading' (though technically those 'invaders' were former landlords stepping in to stop America invading its neighbour in the North) because basically from an invasion perspective America is an island<span style="line-height: 18.2px;">, (albeit an effing big one), </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">with 5000 miles of water on either side that makes it quite hard to attack as long as they keep their nextdoor neighbours sweet. America learnt one thing from that 1814/15 invasion: to defend a big island you need big ships, </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">which is why the US Navy has big ships </span><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">(well, they also learnt that rockets have a red glare but the significance of that didn't occur to them until 150 years later). The much later attack on </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">Pearl Harbour (which wasn't a 'boots on the ground' invasion) gave two more big ship lessons - if foreigners also have big ships America needs even bigger ships and it would be really good if foreigners don't have big ships at all. All of which means that a military invasion of the American mainland by foreigners is highly unlikely. The biggest threat America faces is itself and at present y'all seem quite content to do nothing about that because of a piece of paper written over 200 years ago. </span>

Hmm... Are you referring here to the right to bear arms in the Constitution?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2016 at 17:18
There was a time when I would (and did) but not now.
I will defend myself and my family regardless of who or what the threat is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123