Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Song or Albums that Changed Your Life.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 16:41
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Any Devil Doll album.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 18:05
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Pink Floyd - Everything from Piper to Meddle.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 20:38
Pink Floyd
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 21:42
"Changed my life" might be a bit dramatic, but as far as what introduced me to the best of certain genres, then I'd cite Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother for prog, Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to Come for jazz, and Electric Wizard's Dopethrone for metal. My listening patterns might look quite different without those three albums. Or not... who knows?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I was not asking for a life changing event, but how music put you on to the prog track, or different prog tracks or inspired you to become a musician.

ahhhh....

whatever man....  that is not what you asked! LOL You asked what prog song or album came down from the heavens and took away one's debt after one's insurance didn't cover all the bills... made one's evil spouse this sweet and nuturing soul mate... took away the bad dreams of seeing things no one should have to see.

Talk about reading more into a statement then that's there!  Shocked  Ok, micky, if you read all that, then my only response is to emphasize that as an atheist, I do not believe in any power that can perform miracles, including prog. Which is sad because that's a religion I could really get into. For some strange reason, I feel that Jon Anderson could be prog's version of the Pope! LOL

Edited by SteveG - August 21 2016 at 06:29
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:29
I will bite.  Well, mostly, I find prog more of a technical kind of music.  I don't mean that in a bad way but it is difficult for me to feel moved by a prog track in the same way as I might when I listen to Jeff Buckley's Dream Brother to cite just one example.  All the focus on complex instrumental interplay takes away the necessary rawness/uncanny quality to provoke a more visceral response from the listener (again strictly IMO). 

One prog track that is an exception is King Crimson's Fallen Angel.  It has a lot of pain and once when I was listening to it shortly after having learnt of a relative's demise, I broke down in the middle of the guitar interlude. There are a few others maybe but not a whole lot I can think of for the reason given earlier. 

But, no, I don't believe I have had an epiphany owing to any single track or album, prog or otherwise.   Maybe the overall career of somebody but have never found one track or album THAT profound.

Edited by rogerthat - August 21 2016 at 06:30
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:33

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I was not asking for a life changing event, but how music put you on to the prog track, or different prog tracks or inspired you to become a musician.

ahhhh....

whatever man....  that is not what you asked! LOL You asked what prog song or album came down from the heavens and took away one's debt after one's insurance didn't cover all the bills... made one's evil spouse this sweet and nuturing soul mate... took away the bad dreams of seeing things no one should have to see.

Talk about reading more into a statement then that's there!  Shocked  Ok, micky, if you read all that, then my only response is to emphasize that as an atheist, I do not believe in any power that can perform miracles, including prog. Which is sad because that's a religion I could really get into. For some strange reason, I feel that Jon Anderson could be prog's version of the Pope! LOL

now you are talking to me baby...

prog rock won't save you.. music won't save you...  not even God... only Micky...

only the power and wisdom of Mick can save you all from the  powerful seductive soul eating charms of redheaded demon women LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:37

The cynicism and poor perception of Prog Archive's cup seems to have overflowed lately

Probably why the General Discussion section is often more interesting.  It SHOULDN'T be that way. 

Well, this is a much simpler question to answer and doesn't seem to relate to the title of the thread.  Anyway, at around the age of 14-15 I became deeply immersed in the music of the great Indian composer Ilayaraja (thankfully that didn't affect my performance in important high school exams!) which spoonfed complex Western concepts in the garb of accessible Indian film music.  When I first heard some of the classic prog tracks like Firth of the Fifth or Lady Fantasy, I recognised the techniques they were using as being at least similar to what he was/is doing and that is how I became interested in prog rock.  Of course, this applies mostly to 70s symph prog and some Canterbury and I would come across a lot of other prog that was a far cry from these beginnings.  But that is where the journey began.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:46
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The cynicism and poor perception of Prog Archive's cup seems to have overflowed lately

Probably why the General Discussion section is often more interesting.  It SHOULDN'T be that way. 

Yes, to be honest I should have said something like "Has prog music influenced your life", but I thought members knew me better than that, so I'll be more careful with posts in the future. Ok? Smile As for the General discussion thread, politics, at least, will never bring out the best in people at times, including me.
But it would be super boring if it didn't! Evil SmileLOL
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:47
I'd consider Anabelas by Bubu and Rayuela by Rayuela important albums in my life. Not just because they're phenomenal albums, but because they encouraged me to delve deeper into South American music and, in turn, have inspired me to one day visit Argentina!

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - August 21 2016 at 06:47
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 16:56
"Heart Of The Sunrise" changed my life in every conceivable way.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 10:42
2112 got me into prog (I grew up listening to it, but it came on Sirius sattelite radio at the perfect time to get me into prog when I was 17)
Where Dragons Dwell by Gojira - got me into heavier vocals
Quartermaster by Snarky Puppy - Snarky Puppy is awesome and following them is always exciting
Part 1 by The Fierce and the Dead - got me into Bandcamp and got to follow TFatD to the well-respected postrock band they are now.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 15:30
Going to have to be very predictable and say that it was Marillion who first got me into progressive rock, back in 1984 with the singles Assassing and Garden Party then the albums Real to Reel and then Script and Fugazi.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 16:08
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Going to have to be very predictable and say that it was Marillion who first got me into progressive rock, back in 1984 with the singles Assassing and Garden Party then the albums Real to Reel and then Script and Fugazi.

what makes you say that's predictable? Big smile
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 16:28
Yes - South Side Of The Sky
A song that showed path to something that has guided me my whole life. Before that I was listening CCR kind of stuff, but hearing this song I realised that my musical journey was just beginning ...
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 16:29
Frank Zappa- WOIIFTM
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 18:43
Back in 1987, my 15th Birthday, I got Pink Floyd's Live At Pompeii VHS (thinking it was a live version of The Wall, which I had obsessed over since 1985....) - I witnessed this AMAZING, mind-blowing music, long, meandering instrumental stretches and haunting atmospheres. Then my attention was drawn to the 'lanky' dude playing the bass. Then my Dad bought me a relatively inexpensive bass when the local music shop had an auction. That was the turning point for me...........
Afterwards, lots of drugs and the discovery of VDGG / Hammill in 1990, shaped me into the Prog nut-bag I am today
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 20:28
The first time I heard Ziggy Stardust I knew things were never going back to normal. And Misplaced Childhood marked the watershed into adulthood so that one stands out as well.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:38
Thank you for this one, SteveG. I would have to say Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water. Have been regularly drawn to it since its release in '75. A stirring piece that really gives the listener an earful, and it was nice to hear the bass utilized out front as its own separate musical entity instead of just being in the background. It's hard to put it on nowadays because of Mr. Squire's passing, but it will be out soon enough to again re-warm the cockles of my heart. Timeless.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 12:05
Pink Floyd - Echoes: my first 20+ minute song still stands as my favourite to this day. Nothing like it.
VDGG: A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers: Depressing as hell, epic, and very emotional. This song tears me to shreds every time
King Crimson - Starless: See above ^^^
Eloy - Ocean the album - One of those albums that has grown on me over the years.
Pink Floyd - DSOTM and the wall are obvious picks, they opened my eyes to the world that is prog rock.
Yes - Fragile: my first Yes album, opened my eyes to a world of prog beyond pink floyd
Moody Blues - the core 7: 7 of the greatest albums ever that personally changed the way i view the world. Days of future passed and a question of balance stand out among the 7.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>