Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow important is originality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How important is originality?
    Posted: August 21 2016 at 05:07
Angry One of the things I hear about frequently and disagree with the most, is that "progressive rock (or any type of music for that matter) is better if it's original". This is just wrong. Of course it's a subjective matter and everyone can have their opinion. But, the thing is, I have never heard anyone say "originality doesn't mean anything". It's like being original is always a good thing, which is just not true at all. So I feel that somebody needs to say it.

Here's my argument.

1. How the hell do you know if it's original in the first place?  I've heard people say that In the Court of the Crimson King is an original album that "came out of nowhere in 1969" (see the first review on this page). Really? Have you heard every album and every music work before 1969? If you haven't, how do you know if another band didn't record a similar album and possibly even inspired King Crimson? For the record I'm not saying that such a band existed, I'm just saying, it's impossible to know.

It's not even likely that anyone here has heard all 100 albums on the PA Top 100. There are simply too many albums to listen to. If you think something is original based on what you have heard in your life, then there's a good chance that it's not original at all. Therefore it's laughable to judge a new album based on "originality".

2. Consistency is also a highly valuable quality that no one seems to talk much about. When I buy an Opeth album, I expect to hear the exact same genre, same style, same guitar, drums and growling vocals that I heard on Still Life, Blackwater Park, etc.. I expect the album to be 0% original, and 100% staying true to the classic Opeth sound. If the album sounds original, I'm disappointed because that's not what I spent money to hear.

3. It doesn't affect the enjoyment! Would In the Court of the Crimson King have been any less enjoyable to listen to, if there had been 10 similar albums before it? Most likely not! It's good music on its own merit. 

On the other hand, imagine Wish You Were Here and Selling England by the Pound were debut albums and they were original. Would that make them better albums? I seriously doubt it.

So simply put, "originality" is a quality that is neither good nor bad. It is what it is, but it isn't what everyone believes it is.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 05:23
This will be an interesting discussion, and I'll jot down my thoughts later today.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:03
Depends on what is meant by originality in the first place.  I will give you an example.  Recently, somebody blew off cricket writer Ed Smith's cover, revealing that he borrowed pretty generously from an article appearing in The Economist to write one of his own.  He did change a few words here and there but it was more of a clever precis than an article borne out of his own thoughts.  I THINK that is what people have in mind when they talk about originality.  The source material is the same for all and there is nothing new under the sun but the presentation has to be your own. If it's too much like somebody else's style, you are not speaking in your own voice.  It is extremely subjective, of course, but I also don't see anything wrong if listeners/critics decide to opine on it.  (a)They have a right to and (b) In any case, nearly everything that pertains to music is subjective so in that case we might as well not discuss anything at all.  A conclusion that some people do arrive at but not me; I think we just have to retain some measure of curiosity, open mindedness and a thick skin to get through such discussions.  It is really not as hard to just talk about music as people sometimes make it out to be and besides if you never talk and more importantly never listen to another perspective on music, how do you hope to ever get to learn of something different from what you are exposed to?  And I hope that that is an exciting rather than an irritating prospect? 

Edited by rogerthat - August 21 2016 at 06:03
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:07
Good topic! I'd distinguish qualities that make an album great for me personally from qualities that I'd say make an album great so that I'd appreciate it as a reviewer. I can take more individual points of view or points of view that seem to be more "general" to me, where I try to appreciate qualities that can be explained and discussed in a way that may appeal and be informative to others. I could call this a more "objective" point of view, but I'm aware that I can't be really objective (and nobody can) even when trying to take a more "general" point of view. Still, it's at least an attempt to get closer to the essentially unreachable "objectivity" ideal. (Actually taking this point of view and also reading/hearing what others write about music helps my individual emotional taste, too, because it makes me see qualities at times that I would've missed otherwise.)

Now when it comes to originality, something fresh appeals to me generally, something that makes me see things from a different angle, something that opens a new world of listening to me. This also works in a direct emotional way. But you're obviously right about the fact that there's a difference between what seems to me original because I hadn't heard anything like this before, and what is really original because indeed there was absolutely nothing like this before.

Still, if the crowd intelligence of lots of people on the internet tells me that ITCOTKC was really original and this resonates with my personal impression, I'm prepared to believe it, whereas I know very well that Manfred Mann's Earth Band's Watch is not terribly original despite being my first prog experience and therefore sounding pretty much like the most original album I've ever heard. I know that I have a tendency to appreciate most the first album(s) of a band that I've heard (be them the first or most generally appreciated of the band or not) because these sounded most original to me, but I can take the more generalist point of view and see that I'm biased there.

In any case, originality "feels" like a good quality to me (unless of course I come across something original that doesn't sound good to me).
And then this doesn't mean I can't value consistency, and also it's still original enough and certainly worthwhile to put some effort into letting a good original idea grow and mature, rather than chunking out something totally new all the time. David Bowie's Low is undoubtedly very original, but I'd think that had he developed this kind of stuff over four albums, I'd have liked the end result more.

A further aspect is that some people may have ideas that others had before but they weren't aware of that, and the freshness quality of originality of those who came first and those who did something similar later that was totally new for themselves could still be the same.

I think Karl Kraus once said "It's not important who had an idea first, it's important who has it best."

And then:
"On the other hand, imagine Wish You Were Here and Selling England by the Pound were debut albums and they were original. Would that make them better albums? I seriously doubt it."
But every album has a story behind it and doesn't appear out of nowhere. These two albums were not debut albums and behind them is the whole earlier history of the bands that made them get there. They couldn't have been debut albums in this world, only in a world turned upside down, and nobody knows what rules would hold in that world.

mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:50
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Here's my argument.

1. How the hell do you know if it's original in the first place?  I've heard people say that In the Court of the Crimson King is an original album that "came out of nowhere in 1969" (see the first review on this page). Really? Have you heard every album and every music work before 1969? If you haven't, how do you know if another band didn't record a similar album and possibly even inspired King Crimson? For the record I'm not saying that such a band existed, I'm just saying, it's impossible to know.

It's not even likely that anyone here has heard all 100 albums on the PA Top 100. There are simply too many albums to listen to. If you think something is original based on what you have heard in your life, then there's a good chance that it's not original at all. Therefore it's laughable to judge a new album based on "originality".

2. Consistency is also a highly valuable quality that no one seems to talk much about. When I buy an Opeth album, I expect to hear the exact same genre, same style, same guitar, drums and growling vocals that I heard on Still Life, Blackwater Park, etc.. I expect the album to be 0% original, and 100% staying true to the classic Opeth sound. If the album sounds original, I'm disappointed because that's not what I spent money to hear.

3. It doesn't affect the enjoyment! Would In the Court of the Crimson King have been any less enjoyable to listen to, if there had been 10 similar albums before it? Most likely not! It's good music on its own merit. 

On the other hand, imagine Wish You Were Here and Selling England by the Pound were debut albums and they were original. Would that make them better albums? I seriously doubt it.

So simply put, "originality" is a quality that is neither good nor bad. It is what it is, but it isn't what everyone believes it is.

I think I disagree with most of these points. No work becomes good strictly because it is original, but I have an expectation for any artist to possess a distinctive voice separable from other artists. Furthermore, each album should be reasonably distinct from another. To enter a work of art with any expectations, and to then judge the work based on similarities to those expectations, rather than actual art, disregards the will of the artist and transforms the work into nothing more than a functioning product. While there are certain genres and tones I might be personally biased to, almost all of my favorite albums are important strictly in that they presented something unexpectedly great and changed the way I thought about music. To simply say, "I want more Opeth-metal, therefore this new Opeth album must fulfill my preconceived wants of what Opeth-metal is" simply forces artificial limitations on the ambition of artists. No great artist has ever simply produced what people think they want, but rather produces what the audience may not have even realized they ever wanted before. Innovation is key.

A great deal of music has been ruined for me by not being original. Most neo-prog suffers from simply sounding like inferior retreads of the past (no, not all new music is bad, but what music looks like decade to decade changes, and one's listening ought to reflect that). The ending to Pendragon's The Window of Life, for instance, immediately from the first listen reminded me of the ending to The Gates of Delirium. Naturally, the composition and performance is gravely inferior to that original Yes piece, so I find the that Pendragon track (and much of the album overall) stale and generic. Artists that make creative decisions based on what improves the work generally make the greater albums. Those that simply recycle what they've only heard others play before do not. 

It is not my place to make a demand as to the content of an album, except that it be worth my time. How they fill that time is their choice. This applies to any medium. No great work has ever been "more of the same."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:53
Originally is overrated, as people are drawn to what they're familiar with. Wink
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:56

Haha, you'd think so, but just look at the sorts of reviews people give to In The Wake of Poseidon!

I personally feel that originality, while not the most important consideration in an album, can still be a deciding factor in whether or not I'll buy something. I like to have variety in my music library, so I probably won't pick up 25 symphonic albums that all sound very similar; it would make things very boring when I put my library on shuffle. 

As far as a factor of enjoyment, originality doesn't play as much of a role, but it can be the difference between liking and loving an album. If an album is technically played, brimming with emotion and well-produced, but sounds very much like an earlier album (whether from the same group or otherwise), I won't like it as much as the album that's technically played, brimming with emotion and well-produced that also sounds like nothing else I've ever heard. 

Ultimately, I think that originality is becoming a more important thing to consider with modern releases. While there's a great volume of quality prog rock being produced nowadays, it's a lot more difficult to find unique albums that will stand on their own, of which there were plenty in the 70's before all the cliches had been developed and all the sonic experiments conducted. So is originality the most important thing? No. But does it matter? A little bit.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 06:58
True originality is rare and as time goes on inevitably it's going to be rarer - we're about fifty years into the history of "progressive" rock music at this point.

For me personally I'm always looking for something that sounds fresh, different from anything I've heard before - the music nerd's eternal quest!  Happily I find this doesn't require true originality, just that the band/artist has their own "voice" - they might be combining elements and influences that are more or less easily identifiable, but they're doing it in their own particular way, putting an individual stamp on it. On the other hand I don't get much out of bands that don't seem to have assimilated their influences into something personal. 

Highly subjective of course, but for example I love Island's Pictures and the Sloche albums regardless of the fact that I can easily see what ingredients went into the blender, because they've got a recipe that has its own unique flavour. But if I turn to something like Circus's Movin' On, I'm immediately thinking "bassist wants to be Chris Squire, singer wants to be Greg Lake", and I lose interest quite rapidly.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 21 2016 at 06:59
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 08:05
^Nice post there Simon and I wholly concur.
I have a hard time listening to bands that too openly embrace their icons...without putting their own stamp on the music. 
Originality in itself can be wondrous yet also completely unlistenable...it is all down to the ears of the belistener (hoho). 

For me personally it's also a question of the particular style which is being aped - or indeed whether or not it's a style that has been reproduced a thousand times over ie the ol Genesis formula: twelve string guitars, mellotron, Hackett leads and a theatrical frontman. Then I very quickly get bored, but then again the same goes for 90% of the so-called Berlin Schule connoisseurs who practically have been dishing out Rubycon/Stratosfear part 2 (more like part 24542859) the past 4 decades. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 08:13
I predict a Starcastle album will dethrone Close To The Edge as the most popular album on here any day now
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 08:59

Actually if I vice versa this entire para, it would sum up the reason why I can't be bothered collecting AC DC or Motorhead's discography even though I absolutely love the sound of these bands.  But it's the same sound on every album, so why should I collect every album to listen to the same sound over and over again?  I would rather watch them live, much more fun.  I would rather even buy live albums than studio albums in such a case.  A new studio album is equivalent to a new movie or a new novel.  The idea is that it is different at some level from the previous one by the same artist.  If it has nothing different to offer, there's no reason to buy it if I already have the previous one.  
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 09:13
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Actually if I vice versa this entire para, it would sum up the reason why I can't be bothered collecting AC DC or Motorhead's discography even though I absolutely love the sound of these bands.  But it's the same sound on every album, so why should I collect every album to listen to the same sound over and over again?  I would rather watch them live, much more fun.  I would rather even buy live albums than studio albums in such a case.  A new studio album is equivalent to a new movie or a new novel.  The idea is that it is different at some level from the previous one by the same artist.  If it has nothing different to offer, there's no reason to buy it if I already have the previous one.  
+one.
I love The Rolling Stones...up to a certain point where they just started making the same album over and over again. 
I don't like movie directors that make the same movie nor writers that continue to write the same book. 
Originality can be many different things though...but when we're talking of a particular band/artist/director/writer I do expect some freshness afoot - or else I'll just turn to the past for a kick.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 10:56
Very good discussion,  I   think which originality and virtuosity are very important, but.... the great "ingredient" is inspiration, because without inspiration is much more difficult create a good quality music !
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 12:32
Warning: this may not look like an answer directly to the points you noted in the OP, but it will probably answer your question/disagreement (partially).

I completely understand your point and I used to think a little like it as well. "Originality doesn't make the album sound better" is something which could be an obvious (but too hasty!) conclusion. 
It's namely not just the sound and notes which makes you like, love or disgust musics.

Like ALotOfBottle explained here as well and what hasn't been mentioned before (original content is important, isn't it?Tongue) is very important: it's about how you interpret music.
Why we love music is how we are trained by our culture/other people and ourselves (you can influence what about music you love a little by yourself), you are "trained" to recognise and like chords, it's not a  coincidence that everyone likes some music. (That's ALOB's post freely summarised)

It's also no coincidence everyone has different taste, most prog lovers have a true, deep interest in how music can be renewed and be different than the "average pop song". The core of progressive rock (and maybe some will argue this but I'll proceed anyway) is to make something more complex and with more creativity by not repeating what has been done to death- the verse-chorus structure, as an  important example. This requires more skill of the composer and that's a quality to appreciate, right? Now something deep inside me, which is also something which is learned to me as nurture, tells me that originality is an important skill/virtue/quality. There are many other qualities like this (perhaps more superficial and even more natural) like harmony, tone, rhythm and eclecticism as a more complicated example which make music beautiful- but they're all qualities we appreciate because we learned to appreciate it

It's maybe hard to understand why originality makes us appreciate music more, but it's something important which makes the music harder to make and is a part which does makes it truly better, I dare say so.

Conclusion: sound is a part (for the lack of a better word) which makes us love music, just like originality does. This is so because we are taught to appreciate this by other people and ourselves.

From a different perspective - let's repeat the examples above stated - sound, chords, rhythm and tone are "vertical" looking (taking a fraction of the music and analyse everything of it, visualise it via music notation if you like) at music and it's easier to explain why we love these. Things like eclecticism, form (the most clear example of horizontal) and originality is a more "horizontal" way of looking at music. It's harder to explain why we exactly love these qualities, but these are all more compositional qualities, which are harder to appreciate if you don't listen deeply (I'm not saying you're listening to music in the wrong way). But a sophisticated form is something which one can truly love about a piece, don't you adore that moment when a fragment is recapitulated in a powerful way? (The end of Starless being an excellent example)

Conclusion II: By looking to music in a more horizontal way, one can appreciate things like originality more.

I hope this clears some things up for you. Anyway it made it clearer for me  Seriously, I truly hope you do appreciate music which is very original because it's a musicians quality. 
BTW a thread you may want to check is "my" thread about the question if it is still possible to make original music: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105253

Edited by DDPascalDD - August 21 2016 at 12:42
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 12:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

+one.
I love The Rolling Stones...up to a certain point where they just started making the same album over and over again. 
I don't like movie directors that make the same movie nor writers that continue to write the same book. 
Originality can be many different things though...but when we're talking of a particular band/artist/director/writer I do expect some freshness afoot - or else I'll just turn to the past for a kick.

Absolutely.  There are bands where I want to own all the albums, bands where two or three good 'uns are enough, and bands where one representative album is all I need.  

And conversely, some of the best and most important bands are highly inconsistent. Case in point KC 1969-74. Never the same lineup for two albums, and capable of almost schizophrenic inconsistency even in the course of one album, ITCOCK for example. Apart from the (let's be honest) mis-step of ITWOP, they were always pushing towards new territory. 

Edited by Mascodagama - August 21 2016 at 12:48
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 12:55
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

For me personally it's also a question of the particular style which is being aped - or indeed whether or not it's a style that has been reproduced a thousand times over ie the ol Genesis formula: twelve string guitars, mellotron, Hackett leads and a theatrical frontman. Then I very quickly get bored, but then again the same goes for 90% of the so-called Berlin Schule connoisseurs who practically have been dishing out Rubycon/Stratosfear part 2 (more like part 24542859) the past 4 decades. 

Oh yeah - and let's be honest, half the current crop of RIO/avant bands are quite retro in their own way, they're just harking back to stuff I still can't get enough of Embarrassed  

Now, when am I going to get an Eskaton ripoff band that gigs in London, I'd so be there.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 15:56
Originality is important, but I don't consider band recycling some musical themes as being unoriginal. They usually create something rather different with them. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 16:46
I appreciate originality, but the lack of it doesn't necessarily make me enjoy an album any less.

In fact, since there won't be any more classic 70s prog albums, I wouldn't mind new bands making new albums like them. If there was a band that sounded exactly like classic King Crimson or VDGG (and actually wrote good songs, unlike most retro bands), I'd probably love them.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 16:57
Bull.   Originality is always a good thing, is what human expression is all about, and is responsible for moving art, if not man, forward.   Original does not mean wholly unique, nor does it mean "from out of nowhere".   That confuses original with alien.   Everything comes from something.   Not likely anyone has heard all Top PA 100s?   Guess again.  

Consistency?   Yeah, consistently original.

I will give you your third point about enjoyment, but your remarks about Opeth are unfortunate.   And I suspect the guys in Opeth wouldn't like it either.

I'm sorry, art (unlike love) must always move forward in order to survive.   It is the very essence of human creation.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 18:42
^ well said, Atavachron. As far as the Top 100 albums, i have heard them all and own all but two. There's probably only about 5 in the top 250, mostly newer releases that i haven't heard as well.

I agree that originality is a great thing and that always wins points for me, but it's also true that a band who is a first at some style in particular doesn't mean that they'll go down in history as doing it best. The 60s prog scene was sort of the exception to the rule where evolution just spontaneously gifted us with a big band of explosive talent but more often than not, music is like inventing a machine in which new parts are added to old systems to give it a new function.

There are many bands that are fairly unique, some i've even reviewed such as Satanique Samba Trio and Vienna Vegetable Orchestra but they are so different and weird and original that no one is paying much attentin to them and they'll probably be cited as an influence for someone more successful 20 years down the road.

Totally don't get your King Crimson comments. One person doesn't have to listen to every single album to understand music history. If something like In The Court came out before it would have been written about and word of mouth alone would have spread it like wild fire. If something was put out on a label then it got reviewed by someone. If someone made a similar album as Court in say, 1961, or something, then it never saw the light of day even if it was already created and had zero effect in the influence of something else that sounded similar. There is also such a thing called convergent evolution where several artists come to the same conclusions independently.

True originality rarely exists. If that was the case then everyone who wanted to be totally original would have to a) create totally new instruments b) create a unique language for lyrics and c) create a whole new system of musical relationships via chords, scales, tones etc. Highly unlikely until the grey aliens finally reveal themselves Clown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>