Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow important is originality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 01:49
It depends on the time period.

I personally think a little originality in music nowadays won't do no harm... Stern Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 04:01
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Evidently paganinio hasn't visited since ten minutes after he started this thread.   Too bad, he'd have a satisfying read.

Who's pagininio? Oh, yeah, the OP! LOL
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 09:27
My thoughts on this (and on your post in general) are:

(1) I agree with you that no one really knows if something is original in the most literal sense of "original." Even if you could know everything released prior to something (and by the way, it's not at all difficult to have heard all top 100 albums on progarchives. Heck, I've owned over 15,000 "physical" albums in my life, and since I've switched to collecting digital files, I have a crapload more than that), anyway, even if you've heard everything released, that doesn't guarantee that what someone did is original. The artist could have lifted what they're doing from something that never got released. Maybe a friend or relative or the guy down the road had a band and the artist stole what they were doing. There's no way to know for sure that that's not the case.

(2) What I care about the most when it comes to music is two things: (I) craftsmanship, and (II) that it emotionally connects with me. Re (II), I'm primarily talking about unique aesthetic emotions, not emotions like happiness, sadness etc.

(3) (2)(I) can of course obtain even if someone is copying something note for note, so originality is irrelevant for that. Re (2)(II), however, relative novelty--relative to my experience, that is--can earn bonus points, and sometimes it's necessary if something is to connect with me emotionally at all. The reason for that necessity in those cases is that musicians can do something that I've heard so many thousands of times over the years that I'm numb to it. For example, someone playing straight-ahead, I, IV, V verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus, 4/4, pentatonic-melody rock tunes. They could do that with a tremendous amount of craftsmanship, but if there's nothing relatively novel about it to my ears, I'm almost guaranteed to not like it very much. Novelty isn't all there is to emotionally connecting with me, and it's not always necessary, but if the other elements that are necessary to connect with me are in place, novelty tends to earn bonus points. Relative novelty, of course, is different than originality.

(4) I also couldn't care less about another criterion you bring up that you say is important to you. Namely, the criterion I call "purism." What I mean by that is simply the expectation or demand that someone will produce work with particular stylistic or content features just because that's the sort of work they produced (in the same or a similar context) before. I have no requirement for that.

Edited by Terrapin Station - August 24 2016 at 09:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 09:42
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Haha, you'd think so, but just look at the sorts of reviews people give to In The Wake of Poseidon!
That's a good example for me in that I prefer In the Wake of Poseidon to In the Court of the Crimson King. In the Court is actually my least favorite King Crimson album.

Not that I wouldn't say In the Wake does nothing novel--after all, what on the first album sounds like "Cat Food"?--but I definitely agree that the first album was used more or less as a template for the second. The second just connects with me a lot more overall, it doesn't have something equivalent to the way-too-long, way-too-noodly bits of "Moonchild", etc.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2016 at 22:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally is overrated, as people are drawn to what they're familiar with. Wink

That is the fact, when it comes to popular music and top ten. But I seriously doubt that this is the reality for what we have termed as "progressive music" in the past 45 years.

I think it depends on your point of view of music, and how you see it. If we look at the many posts in this board, so many of them are "top ten" oriented, from the best of this or that, to the top albums in a given year and so forth, and sometimes, many of the albums also fit the sales discussion, and not necessarily the "progressive music" discussion.

If we expand this idea, and look at music history, do we say that it was original with Beethoven, and not Mozart, and not Bach? Simply because we have heard it enough and can not discuss it as "music" within a historical context. I think, that in many ways, a lot of rock music, does not fit the "original" ideas or concepts, because of its simplicity, when compared to an average opera with 20 or more staffs in its main work for the incredible variety of instruments, and they are not all playing the same thing ... which much of rock music is! The perfect example is the idea that the bass and drums have to set down the carpet that the guitarist and keyboard player stand on, for you and I to enjoy. Can you say that about Beethoven? Mozart? No, and you would not even consider it.

All in all, this is a good discussion, but it needs to be placed within its proper context, or its discussion becomes rather futile, and not specially worthy of a "music" discussion. And lastly, many of us, myself included, would need to listen to many other things ... so that this discussion could elevate itself into a realm that helps define "originality".

As an example, a fun movie to watch, is "Amadeus", and how Mozart is describing which notes to use to Salieri, who more than once says ... are you sure? ... because in those days (in a fun/film sort of way), music was "serious", and what Mozart was doing with the notes, was odd and not something that the academic standards (then) would have liked or appreciated.

I'm not sure that we are defining originality in music, first ... so we have an idea of how to apply the ideas to some rock music. And yes, in my book ITCOTCK is by far one of the most original albums ever, that should be on par with Sgt Pepper's and the like. AND, surprisingly enough, the KC album was not on my original list until around 1975, as I had not exactly heard it yet, though I was already slightly familiar with Robert Fripp. If his band does not, he will be remembered as one of the most original guitarists, and experimentalists, much work of which is found in his solo work and with Eno, and others. There are not many musicians that can claim that ability!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 00:59
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[
As an example, a fun movie to watch, is "Amadeus", and how Mozart is describing which notes to use to Salieri, who more than once says ... are you sure? ... because in those days (in a fun/film sort of way), music was "serious", and what Mozart was doing with the notes, was odd and not something that the academic standards (then) would have liked or appreciated.
How many times do I have to explain to you that 'Amadeus' is a fictionalised account. The film is wrong and your interpretation of it and your understanding of 18th century music is so completely wrong that wrong has now achieved hitherto unimaginable levels of total wrongness it would take the fictional computer Deep Thought seven and a half million years to calculate just how fu*king wrong it is.Angry

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 03:39
^ for the benefit of those who have not followed my five-year mission to separate Pedro's Hollywood version of history from reality, (and to boldly go boldly where no boldly man has boldly gone boldly before)...

The players:
Mozart lived from 1756 to 1791
Salieri lived from 1750 to 1825
Süssmayr lived from 1766 to 1803

The Music:
Baroque - 1600 to 1750
very complex, loads of counterpoint, shed loads of polyphony, and more notes than you can shake a stick at, chromatic. It was also very rigid and formulaic with strict rules on format and composition.
Style Galant - 1720 to 1770
(return to) simplicity, no counterpoint, monophonic (one melody), not too many notes, diatonic. This was a relaxed, freer form of music that was an advance guard ('avant garde') reaction to Baroque and was pioneered by CPE Bach et al. It was seen as revolutionary at the time.
Classical - 1730 to 1820
slightly complex, some counterpoint, mainly homophonic (use of chords), quite a few notes, increased use of harmony, mainly diatonic. A progression of Style Galant that re-introduced form and structure into music (JC Bach and others).
Romantic - 1780 to 1910
moderately complex, some counterpoint, polyphonic, quite a few notes, loads of harmony, increased use of chromatacism. It essentially added romance and emotion into Classical, it also got a hell of a lot bigger in every respect - more instruments, longer pieces, more individual movements. Where Baroque's use of chromaticism was a consequence of the scales and modes used, Romaticism used added accidentals to diatonic scales to create emotional shifts and expression in the music.

Mozart's Requiem - 1791 to 1792 to ????  (i.e., finished after Mozart's death by Süssmayr, then again by other later composers)

So as you can see there was a degree of overlap from one era to another, just as you'd expect there to be. What was popular or fashionable didn't change overnight.

Notes on terminology:
Style Galant and Classical are backward-looking terms - In the 18th century they were seen as harking-back to earlier times when everything was perceived to be much simpler. The era they were striving to recreate was a romanticised (fictionalised) view of ancient Rome and ancient Greece when everything was presumed to be simpler and more elegant. This was a reaction to how the Age of Enlightenment and Renaissance (which itself was an attempt to recreate classical Rome and Greece) had progressed through the Baroque era where it had become more complicated and structured, and to their perception, inelegant. 

Romantic, as the name suggests, is more about emotion and feeling and is also a backward-looking term that further fictionalised the perceived simpler times of the ancient world as seen against the backdrop of the Industrial Revolution that was sweeping Europe.

Therefore none of these styles can be truly regarded as original, progressive or forward-looking. [Even though they were trying to revive a style of music that probably didn't exist (or at least there is no surviving evidence or examples of even in the 18th century)]

Dispelling The Myths:
  • Salieri wasn't mediocre, he was a respected composer in his own right.
  • Salieri didn't hate Mozart, nor was he jealous of him, in Mozart's final years they were best buds: they travelled to the premier of The Magic Flute in the same carriage and after Mozart's death Salieri gave music lessons to Mozart's son. He also staged performances of Mozart's music.
  • Salieri didn't dress up as Mozart's father to commission the Requiem - Mozart knew exactly who commissioned him and had an actuary witnessed legal contract for it.
  • Mozart didn't die poor, it was common practice to be buried in a simple grave due to land shortages in Vienna at the time but it was not a pauper's grave as the film suggests. He was paid handsomely for the many works he completed in 1791 (including The Magic Flute and received an advance payment for the unfinished Requiem).
  • Mozart didn't dictate the Requiem score Salieri. Mozart may have dictated some notes to Süssmayr but many were written in his own hand.
  • Mozart's operas Marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni were not box-office flops.
  • No one ever said "Too many notes".

SO...

Mozart and Salieri were composing music at a time when Baroque music was considered to be old-fashioned, overly complex and inelegant. Being six years older than Mozart Salieri was more established but he was not "the establishment", nor did he represent it. Mozart's early letters (being critical of Salieri and his Italian contemporaries) were a frustrated tantrum against the popularity of Italian composers over German composers at the time. However, despite being Italian, Salieri's approach to music composition was seen to be closer to that of Gluck and other German and Austrian composer in style (which is why he was popular in Vienna). In Vienna he adopted the Style Galant for some of his instrumental works and was at the forefront of the new Classical Style for his operatic works as a rejection of Baroque complexity - in modern terms Salieri was a progressive. If Salieri was ever critical of Mozart's music (and this isn't certain that he was) then it would be because he saw it as being retrogressive and not modern enough: it would not have been because he didn't understand what Mozart was doing, quite the reverse in fact - he would have understood it easily and recognised it as being a return to Baroque complexity and therefore unoriginal.

Edited by Dean - August 25 2016 at 06:26
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 07:23
Really all you need to do in order to stress that Amadeus is fiction is (a) note that it's a film, and (b) note that it's not a documentary.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 07:38
^ yeah, I've tried that several time to no avail, but feel free to have a go yourself
What?
klockwerk View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 14:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

but then again the same goes for 90% of the so-called Berlin Schule connoisseurs who practically have been dishing out Rubycon/Stratosfear part 2 (more like part 24542859) the past 4 decades. 

And looking forward to buying and enjoying Rubycon/Stratosfear part 24542860.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 04:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dispelling The Myths:

• Mozart didn't die poor, it was common practice to be buried in a simple grave due to land shortages in Vienna at the time but it was not a pauper's grave as the film suggests. He was paid handsomely for the many works he completed in 1791 (including The Magic Flute and received an advance payment for the unfinished Requiem).
  • Mozart didn't dictate the Requiem score Salieri. Mozart may have dictated some notes to Süssmayr but many were written in his own hand.
  • Mozart's operas Marriage of Figaro and Don Giovanni were not box-office flops.

This is excellent bio of Mozart and Salieri , as well as the relevant music and it's characteristics. But you didn't comment on one important point: Did Mozart really like toilet humor and fart jokes? Tongue  
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 05:14
Oliver Messiaen said of Mozart's music that it smiled Big smile

Afficher limage dorigine

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 05:52

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Dispelling The Myths:

This is excellent bio of Mozart and Salieri , as well as the relevant music and it's characteristics. But you didn't comment on one important point: Did Mozart really like toilet humor and fart jokes? Tongue  
The evidence suggests that he did: 

LOL
What?
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 07:50

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Evidently paganinio hasn't visited since ten minutes after he started this thread.   Too bad, he'd have a satisfying read.

Who's pagininio? Oh, yeah, the OP! LOL

Obviously I have 1000+ posts here on this website. But my Internet access isn't what it used to be. It takes a long time to open a thread and longer (three minutes) to post a reply. I try to post as much as I can. And I will certainly read the entire thread. 

So to prove that I'm still here and I'm not stopping after 1240 posts -- 

I love fresh music. But I don't like different music. If there's a new album out in 2016, I'm most certainly gonna be listening to it. But if this new album is trying to do something different, that I have never heard this kind of music before, then I will refuse to listen to it.

It's like the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. I could watch that show every night (fresh episodes) and not get bored. I used to watch David Letterman every night and never got bored once. But it's highly unlikely that I will start watching a new TV show. Fresh vs. different.

In some of the metal sub-genres, you don't try new things. You aren't allowed to. If you try a new idea in your music, you're not True and you're not pure. "Traditional doom metal", for example, has to be traditional. If you're not making your music in the Traditional way, then obviously it can no longer be called Traditional Doom Metal. And I think this is a fairly common ideology in the metal community. Progressive metal is heavily influenced by this mindset. And you should know that I came from a metal background. The only reason I got into prog at all was metal. Many important metal bands in the 2000s were making progressive metal music, that's how I got into prog. My mindset will always be with metal, so I'm committed to one sound and that's it. No originality for me. I want my new Opeth to sound exactly like the early 2000s Opeth. That's the sound that I'm used to. That's what I already know and love. I'm committed to it.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 07:53
If you're refusing "different" without even trying it (although how would you know that it's different vs fresh without listening to it?) then you are potentially missing out on some good music.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 07:56
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

In some of the metal sub-genres, you don't try new things. You aren't allowed to. If you try a new idea in your music, you're not True and you're not pure. "Traditional doom metal", for example, has to be traditional. If you're not making your music in the Traditional way, then obviously it can no longer be called Traditional Doom Metal. And I think this is a fairly common ideology in the metal community. Progressive metal is heavily influenced by this mindset. And you should know that I came from a metal background. The only reason I got into prog at all was metal. Many important metal bands in the 2000s were making progressive metal music, that's how I got into prog. My mindset will always be with metal, so I'm committed to one sound and that's it. No originality for me. I want my new Opeth to sound exactly like the early 2000s Opeth. That's the sound that I'm used to. That's what I already know and love. I'm committed to it.

Wow, that's.........interesting. I've been accused of being a creature of habit but it sounds like you're are taking it to a whole new level. 

Edited by Jeffro - August 26 2016 at 07:56
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 09:41

I love fresh music. But I don't like different music. If there's a new album out in 2016, I'm most certainly gonna be listening to it. But if this new album is trying to do something different, that I have never heard this kind of music before, then I will refuse to listen to it.

I don't want to seem disrespectful or anything, but this is just...  immensely saddening that someone would think and operate in such a manner.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 22:35
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

I don't want to seem disrespectful or anything, but this is just...  immensely saddening that someone would think and operate in such a manner.

But not surprising coming from a tr00 metalhead. I used to be into metal music a lot but drifted out of it because I found this "never change"mindset incompatible with how I look at music and also it made for extreme repetition that got boring.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 01:53
Yeah I too have spent far too much time with metal friends of mine sporting that very same attitude towards music...and it always leaves me with a somewhat acrid taste in my mouth.
Come to think of it, I know quite a few peeps into hip hop who feel the exact same about their music. I tried getting them into Death Grips and it was like getting a child to eat olives and use cutlery at the same time: Eeeeww

I don't get it - I just really don't.
Music is the spice of life, why restrict oneself to one flavour?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2016 at 03:11
^ People often find something they're comfortable with and never look back, it's unfortunate but I suppose I understand; I don't like eating things I won't enjoy, though it is the only way to learn .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>