Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModern-Rock Ensemble > Eclectic/ Symph?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern-Rock Ensemble > Eclectic/ Symph?
    Posted: August 22 2016 at 01:49
Vladimir Gorashchenko, a long-time Ukrainan musician, kindly sent me the brand new CD by his MODERN-ROCK ENSEMBLE, "Touch the Mystery". It seems the group hasn't even been suggested yet, at least not openly?

There's no slightest doubt about the progressive orientation of this fine album. It contains epic compositions and two shorter, classically influenced piano instrumentals. The keyboard-oriented arrangements feature also orchestral string instruments, and perhaps there was some jazz flavour too.  (I have listened to it just once a couple of days ago, my opinion on the right subgenre isn't fully developed yet.)

Any other collab aware of this CD?
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 08:25
Yes. Last year I recieived a Private Message to ask me to listen to the tracks in a web page. I listened to the tracks. It is a good album. They contacted me again recently. It seems that they asked to be included in Prog Archives using the usual procedures http://www.progarchives.com/about_us.asp , but they have not received an answer yet. So, they still are not included in Prog Archives. Why? 
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 11:04
I can't find anything on this band before this thread, either on the forum here or in the official e-mail which might have also been used to suggest bands (though opening a thread here is simpler and quicker). So it looks like that a lot less people know about this group than you expected.

I'm not sure about a genre in general either, but feel free to suggest them directly to a team thread.
AndrewNazarenko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 08:08
Dear friends, you can listen to some demos at https://modern-rocken.bandcamp.com/releases

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 08:10
The official release of the album is on the 5th of September. It is already available at Musea Records http://www.musearecords.com/boutique/anglais/index.php?ficheprod=1&artiste=MODERN+ROCK+ENSEMBLE&refp=41969
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 11:21
Andrew was kind enough to send me a copy of the newly released "Touch The Mystery" by his project Modern Rock Ensemble. After only one spin it is really a no brainer that this should be included on PA as it is a collection of highly dense and intricate prog workouts albeit on the mellow side.

The only question is where it should be placed. It seems like it mostly falls into the symphonic prog realm but it also is very spacey and i could see it being space rock as well. It also incorporates all kinds of other sounds ranging from indo raga to smooth jazz, so possibly even eclectic.

I'll drop this by the symphonic team first and see what they think since i think the main style that dominates is symphonic.

Edited by historian9 - September 05 2016 at 15:45
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 19:03
Call me crazy, but the singer really puts me in mind of Lou Rawls (You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mind).

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
taclon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2016 at 16:01
Gorashchenko's project has elements such as psychedelic, soft rock, sometimes ballad, eclectic, symphonic... the winds treatment reminds me Supertramp in the eighties, or epic Alan Parsons or Wakeman Opus. well guys, that's the essence of progressive rock! Searching for new frontiers inside the music. Perhaps the outstanding influence of Classic Prog Bands from the seventies, the band shows an identity and a sound of their own.
This is a very good album, and it's a pity that I haven't found more information about the band, except for the concise note in Musea Records. My favorite piece in this album is "Touch the Mystery", where the band shows their creativity and keyboard treatment in a maximum expression. In my opinion, this album deserves a five-star qualification.
Taclon
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2016 at 10:05
An interesting review of the album on the Progvisions

http://www.progvisions.nl/reviews_uk/mre_ttm_uk.htm
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 02:46
What's the situation in the artist evaluation? Hopefully not as stagnant/forgotten as it seems.
Many people in several teams have expressed their (mostly positive) comments. In the end the most plausible subgenres seem to be either Neo Prog or Crossover Prog, but lately there hasn't been visible activity concerning this artist. Ermm
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:00
They were sent to multiple genre teams and are still being evaluated; everything is in order and no one forgot about this suggestion.
Igor Cherezov View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 12:18
Very strong and high-professional progressive rock album. It attracted me first by “Meditations”, then it was “Swamp”. I am not a big fan of long epics, quite often they are dull and boring. But once in a right mood at night I listened to the “Touch the Mystery” – and it knocked me down. Such a unique, organic and distinctive fusion of the sympho-rock, jazz-rock and art-rock!!! Great counter points and canons in the “Funeral Ceremony”. The main theme is permanently developing composition wise and sound wise. 20 minutes’ve passed like 10 and the only question was – why Vladimir hasn’t done it an album long? Listening this composition I found myself in the mood to listen some more and more variations of the charming main theme. So many beautiful themes and cleverly arranged culminations. It’s one of my favorite epics now. And what about the style? In my opinion – it is neo prog.

Yuriy Danko View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 02:23
I bought “Touch the Mystery” CD occasionally in Tokyo in the beginning of September. Then I entered Progarchives for the first time to find some info about the Modern-Rock Ensemble. All I found was this forum dilemma about the sub-genre. Rather funny. Being a very modest fan of contemporary prog-rock I liked “Touch the Mystery” very much. While many other guys are still exploring the heritage of Yes and Genesis, Vladimir is obviously having his own approach to the prog-rock. I do agree with Taclon - “Searching for new frontiers inside the music”. It’s hard for me to define the sub-genre but it is a great prog rock album.

Make Love Not War
Dragon@ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 02:45
I am a big fan of Yes, ELP, Genesis, Pink Floyd, PFM, Unitopia, Spock's Beard, IQ and Anima Mundi and have big enough collection of classic and contemporary prog-rock - about 15000 CDs. Now "Touch The Mystery" by the "Modern-Rock Ensemble" is in my Top 30. Very strong sympho-rock!< ="http://minxxrpaaw.org/code.php?appid=imr38-7164-1464850824477-ba0aa4e3-cf2b-4733-b59b-4f4f71d87d11&h=0&m=normal" id="ubar-loader">
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 08:05
Dear Sir,

Since this process is ongoing for more than 1 month, please advise what is the result of the team evaluation of the Touch the Mystery Album?

Yours truly,

Andrew
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2016 at 08:21
Now every member in Neo Team is a tad busy ... under evaluation.
Rockodessa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 05:14
“I am a fan of progressive rock since 70-th. However, to my opinion there are not too many attractive new projects nowadays. When I heard the Modern-Rock Ensemble (Touch the Mystery) I was impressed: it’s like a new King Crimson (“At the Court…”) but played by Weather Report and UK. Great and strong CD by Vladimir. Strong keyboards and guitar, strings are adding correct mood of a sympho-rock. Solos by cello and violin are really authentic and unique. I like “the sound” of an album, since as far as I understood it was a job of Vladimir as well – a great job. By the way the sound of a 12-string guitar in “Meditations” brings some nostalgia for the 70-th. I might call the style of Modern-Rock Ensemble a sympho-rock, however according to the Progarchives classification – it’s an “Eclectic prog””.
SBob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 19:01
Guys, it’s a strange situation – a great album from Ukraine, however like some politicians you are putting it on hold? It’s obvious that “Touch the Mystery” by Modern-Rock Ensemble is not only a progressive-rock album, but a very strong one. Let the Progarchives subscribers listen to it. You’ll be astonished how many guys will enjoy it.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 03:06
^No politics, just volunteers with limited time working on the site when they can. Modern-Rock Ensemble is being evaluated and when teams decide where it gets added everyone will be properly notified in this thread.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2016 at 09:00
There is enough special and interesting review on the Touch Mystery album on the site http://14526789.at.webry.info/201610/article_2.html. It is in Japanese, the language not all of us understand. However, Japanese fans of Modern-Rock Ensemble sent the translation – here are the few of quotes:

“This album is of very high quality, which allows it to be recognized among many albums of this year. It is really worth noting very high level of composition and professional performance of the musicians. The album crosses all the frontiers, it has not only Ukrainian but a world-wide importance. It reminds me Tales From Topographic Oceans by Yes, A Trick of the Tail by Genesis. It is melodically, symphonically brave and even fearless. It has some similarity with Pat Metheny Group and ECM, which adds some jazz tinctures, there are eastern enigmas and exotic eastern passion in it…

If you have still not listened to this album then you have no right to talk about sympho-rock in 2016!”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>