Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - favorite Genesis song containing the letter 'Q'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfavorite Genesis song containing the letter 'Q'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: favorite Genesis song containing the letter 'Q'
    Posted: August 22 2016 at 15:13

Just albums up through Duke;  want to keep this civilized.

I included some input from the general public who, fortuately, are able to use the forum
but, unfortunately, are unavailable to reach for any declinement of further comment.

From Genesis to Revelation-The Conqueror (3:40)

P.H. says, 'Is it just me or they sound like Oasis here - PG in particular?'

Nursery Cryme-Harlequin (2:55)

'a' says, 'Hermoso cuando se combinan las voces de Gabriel y Collins.'

A Trick of the Tail-Squonk (6:30)

Z.R. & his or her cat say, 'Apparantly this song (especially the drums) were inspired by Led Zeppelin's Kashmir.
When you know it you can actually hear it; the very heavy drums as opposed to Phil's usual jazziness, and the
monotonous bass' stark contrast to Mike's hands usually running all over the place.
In fact, this song is very different to everything Genesis did before, seems very much like the turning point.'

Wind & Wuthering-Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers (2:20)
Wind & Wuthering-In That Quiet Earth (4:54)

J.G. says, My favorite instrumental track. I have yet to hear anyone perform this as it was done or anywhere
close cause either the guitarist is playing too fast, there is a little too much drumming where it isn't needed,
the bassist either doesn't have the rhythm that Mike does or hasn't heard his notes and the keyboards are either
too loud or overpowering. One of the best tracks played with a Gibson Les Paul as Steve did it and with whammy bar included.

'P' says, A cool thing about the title of this song is that unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth
is the last sentence in the book "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte.

and wiki concurs,

"Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers..." and "...In That Quiet Earth" are two linked instrumental tracks.
The titles, of course, refer to the last paragraph of the novel which donated the album's title
- "Wuthering Heights", by Emily Bronte:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells,
listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine
unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I left the last grouped together as for myself, the two pieces flow together much better in an
unbroken fashion than, say, Saw VI and Saw VII.  From GtoR works well for insominia and I think
that Harlequin works much better full NC spin rather than as a stand-alone.
Latter, and lone instrumentals (W&W), are very good.  However I think my choice has to be Squonk, although
I must confess my agreement to any Kashmir similarity is not unlike my variance to comparisons that
have been made between the disdain for samsara and the pursuit of equanimity.

Enjoy the vibrations.

Edited by InstrupsychedeMental - August 22 2016 at 15:16
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 04:53
However I think my choice has to be Squonk, although
I must confess my agreement to any Kashmir similarity is not unlike my variance to comparisons that
have been made between the disdain for samsara and the pursuit of equanimity.

Interesting - apparently Collins was influenced by 'Kashmir' and tried to replicate Bonham's drum beat!!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 05:19
I'll go for the two WAW's tracks influenced by Bronte.. Genesis at their mid 70's best!

Squonk is also a fantastic tune. I still enjoy it after all these years and the studio version is by the far best version I've heard. The live versions tend to be a little funkier, and the song loses that plodding 'Kashmir' feel.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 05:26
I recall seeing Genesis on the 'Invisible Touch' tour (with some trepidation) and we were rewarded with a performance of 'In That Quiet Earth'...the highlight of the concert for me (yes, we had to endure that stupid medley in 'Turn It On Again' as an encore...so many other great tracks they could have played...)
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2016 at 16:49
Squonk. How did you guess that? Wink
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Kári View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 13:51
The two WAW tracks are both great, I love Squonk as well. I can't decide which one I like the most.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 14:11
Harlequin is actually one that I'm enjoying more and more every time I put it on, so I'd say it's my favourite of these. Love the vocal harmonies and acoustic parts; Genesis never quite had it in them to pull off anything bombastic, so it's the quieter moments on those earlier records that I've found to be where they produced their best work.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 15:48
Wind & Wuthering-Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers (2:20)
Wind & Wuthering-In That Quiet Earth (4:54)

These'ns.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 16:52
Originally posted by InstrupsychedeMental InstrupsychedeMental wrote:

Wind & Wuthering-Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers (2:20)

Wind & Wuthering-In That Quiet Earth (4:54)

J.G. says, My favorite instrumental track. I have yet to hear anyone perform this as it was done or anywhere
close cause either the guitarist is playing too fast, there is a little too much drumming where it isn't needed,
the bassist either doesn't have the rhythm that Mike does or hasn't heard his notes and the keyboards are either
too loud or overpowering. One of the best tracks played with a Gibson Les Paul as Steve did it and with whammy bar included.

'P' says, A cool thing about the title of this song is that unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth
is the last sentence in the book "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte.

and wiki concurs,

"Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers..." and "...In That Quiet Earth" are two linked instrumental tracks.
The titles, of course, refer to the last paragraph of the novel which donated the album's title
- "Wuthering Heights", by Emily Bronte:

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells,
listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine
unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

I had no idea it is until I read the novel about a year ago (I like reading 19th century literature). then I made a remark about it on this forum

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 19:15
Qupper's Qeady.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply