Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe a Failure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 04:41
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

In my humble opinion, although   ABWH ( with the  remarkable exception of "The Birg Dream" )   stayed far from my expectations ...the album have another problem ... the quality of sound is pitiful : Tony Levin / Bass and Stick is almost inaudible and Wakeman's Keyboards suffocates Howe's guitars ( it's enough  listen the first  track "Themes" ) !

True, but what really annoys me is Bruford's drum sounds. Let's just say its "of its time".
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:20
I agree with an earlier poster that this material was great live - AWBH were closer to Yes than the 90125 incarnation earlier in the decade.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:50
No.
"New" music from the "old guard" was refreshing back in '89.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 06:56
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

No.

Next question.

I'm Alive is so good---and so was the video mix of the song. 

I also like Brother of Mine, Birthright, Order of the Universe (it's a bit cheesy but a lot of fun) and Quartet (if you take out the incredibly foolish second part).

I listen to both the studio and live ABWH albums a lot, actually.  There are also a bunch of live videos on youtube, although I have to say everyone - and I do mean everyone - was obviously having a bad hair AND a bad clothes year, so be warned.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 08:00
I remember being excited about ABWH when first hearing about the project. Went out and bought it on cassette! Cool
Never could get into it. I think I, like others, thought erroneously that it would sound like early Yes. I have recently tried to get back into it and am having little success. Oh well, can't like everything I guess
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 08:14
I've always liked this album, regardless of the fact that it's always been compared to the rest of the classic yes catalog (something inevitable I guess). I love the music and the concept of reviving somehow the classic yes sound, away from the 80's Trebor Rabin's influence that yes was running on at the time.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 18:33

Edited by maryes - August 29 2016 at 18:34
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 18:37
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

In my humble opinion, although   ABWH ( with the  remarkable exception of "The Birg Dream" )   stayed far from my expectations ...the album have another problem ... the quality of sound is pitiful : Tony Levin / Bass and Stick is almost inaudible and Wakeman's Keyboards suffocates Howe's guitars ( it's enough  listen the first  track "Themes" ) !

True, but what really annoys me is Bruford's drum sounds. Let's just say its "of its time".
It's also true, I don't understand what the recording engineers thought when making this !!!
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 19:09
Wow!  People have a much higher opinion of the AWBH album than when it came out.  At the time, it was considered a travesty of near GTR proportions, another nail in the band's coffin......80s dreck dressed up as Yessongs.  I bought a one dollar copy from the bins a while back and gave it a few spins and now I'd consider it one of the better post-Drama Yes albums.  Not saying much, I know, but it's an album with a reputation that has improved over time.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 20:35
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Wow!  People have a much higher opinion of the AWBH album than when it came out.  At the time, it was considered a travesty of near GTR proportions, another nail in the band's coffin......80s dreck dressed up as Yessongs.  I bought a one dollar copy from the bins a while back and gave it a few spins and now I'd consider it one of the better post-Drama Yes albums.  Not saying much, I know, but it's an album with a reputation that has improved over time.  

Yeah, I can stomach it much better now.  At the time, the guys I know hated it....in fact it may have been one of those discs that sailed high over a local parking lot.  I can still remember one of my friends launching Oldfield's "Earth Moving" airborn with disgust.  We didn't do one star ratings then....it was more personalLOL.  Now we're a bit more diplomatic.  Big smile

Edited by Finnforest - August 29 2016 at 20:36

aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 22:56
It does seem like an album that given time would grow on you, but unfortunately for me that sort of epiphany hasn't come. I do love Brother of Mine and Birthright though. Those are on my must-listen Yes (related) list.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 00:29
It was a relatively fine offering of Prog as it existed in 1989. At the time, I was totally blown away by this album (except for Teakbois) - nowadays, I still admire it (think I'll give it a spin after The Moodies) but not as much as back then. And, get this - I enjoy Union a notch more !!! There, I said it, even with its dozen or so session keyboardists alone.
.........just spinning ABWH now. Definitely has its Pop-music elements but still sounding really good. And for those who think Levin is buried in the mix - he sounds in fine form - just remove the cottonwool from your ears.....
Birthright (my favourite tune from day one back in 1989) is superb. Kevin's (f**king iPod won't allow me to type Tony's surname...) Stick just growls during the intro......

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 30 2016 at 01:13
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 07:00
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Yeah, I can stomach it much better now.  At the time, the guys I know hated it....in fact it may have been one of those discs that sailed high over a local parking lot.  I can still remember one of my friends launching Oldfield's "Earth Moving" airborn with disgust.  We didn't do one star ratings then....it was more personalLOL.  Now we're a bit more diplomatic.  Big smile

the old way of reviewing albums sounds like more fun
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 08:26
It certainly did afford a degree of cleansing release that clicking a star does not...

We didn't do it all that often, usually we just sold the stuff we didn't like.  But I can recall a few times when more drastic measures were employed.  Evil Smile

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 08:50
Sounds like micky's CD toss out the car window subsequently reviewed by the tires of multiple trucks and cars. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 08:55
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Sounds like micky's CD toss out the car window subsequently reviewed by the tires of multiple trucks and cars. 

Did that once or twice with CDs and cassettes, but it lacks the wondrous sound of satisfaction that only vinyl splattering on asphalt can provide. 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 08:56
I am kind of imagining a session of skeet shooting.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 09:47
I really liked the album when it came out - haven't listened to it in years - the one thing I remember is that I used to wish that the "long lost - brother of mine" chorus was in 15 - one measure of 8 and one measure of 7 - just take out that one beat and it could have been pop-prog genius!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:40

Tormato suffered that fate at my hands the day it came out. By the time AWBH came out I was more or less immured. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:43
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Tormato suffered that fate at my hands the day it came out. By the time AWBH came out I was more or less immured. 

It's fun, isn't it?  Did you get it up there pretty high?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>