Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed'Worst' track on...SEBTP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which is your LEAST fave?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.33%]
1 [1.33%]
43 [57.33%]
19 [25.33%]
3 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [6.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 20:29
Firth of Fifth
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 21:03
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Battle of Epping Forrest.... at least the other horrid song was short... Epping Forest is the Chinese Water Torture of prog. LOL

Exactly my thoughts... I was thinking how to put them to words, but you just did it anyway. Only thing is, the question is "Which one is least interesting"... in which case "More Fool Me" might actually be the one that deserves the vote. But I went with the "Worst track" for voting.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 21:08
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

Can't believe that Epping forest is currently winning the worst song contest. Its of the most entertaining Prog epics out there and one of Genesis's best tracks period. Nobody does comedy Prog like Gabrial-era Genesis does!

No weak songs on the album, but the 2008 remaster extends the length of Aisle of Plenty by cutting off the ending The Cinema Show (my no 2 Genesis song) which ticks me off, so it gets the chopping block. 

The thing is, I have never liked comedy in music, really. And Gabriel and Genesis have a way to make this "comedy" particularly annoying for me, wether it is in the music/melody itself, or on the lyrics/concepts... it just puts me off from the songs. I just don't like the images those "comical" words put in my mind. I guess the only comic part I actually enjoy (at least as far as I remember) is "Willow Farm" from "Supper's Ready"... that one really fits the flow of the music and it wouldn't work the same without it (and the live versions I have heard haven't done it justice).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2016 at 21:38
More Fool Me is the weakest track and does not fit in well with the rest of the album.  Collins lacks confidence in his voice here, it sounds so tentative.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 01:32
If I should choose one then it is More Fool Me. It foreshown how Genesis will sound without Gabriel in their pop era. I never understood hate toward Battle, it's quite good song in vein of Get 'em Out By Friday. Agreed - it's not among their best songs but why it's so unpopular is beyond me. I consider I Know What I Like worse one as the years go by... for some reason it seems to me more and more boring with poppish tendency. And in fact I didn't expect Firth Of Fifth could have any vote... it's one of their materpieces IMO - but there you are...
All in all, SEBTP in the whole is Genesis best record (with Foxtrot) for me and what I wrote above has no impact on this meaning whatsoever.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 03:35
Forest is the only fun song on the album. Full of cool melodies. Silly vocals just like Supper but better song. Fave song on album. Cinema, firth and moonlit are fairly good tracks although they have moments which spoil them a bit
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:03
More fool me. Pointless addition to the album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:14
Agree with the above!  No better live either.  At least Collins' previous outing, 'For Absent Friends' had that whimsical charm to it...

Can't believe the bile for 'Epping Forest' - I have always adored that track!  Gabriel thought it suffered from having bits added incrementally but I really don't care.  Apparently, he was also opposed to the latter half of 'Cinema Show' being on the album as well....

When I moved to London, I made sure to visit Epping Forest (apparently the inside photos from ELP's 'Trilogy' were also taken there...)  It's a nice day out but it does have a dark history...
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:25
More Fool Me...Otherwise Mindblowing
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:29
More Fool Me
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 06:15
More Fool Me.
I quite like The Battle of Epping Forest.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 07:47
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

[QUOTE=LakeGlade12]Can't believe that Epping forest is currently winning the worst song contest. Its of the most entertaining Prog epics out there and one of Genesis's best tracks period. Nobody does comedy Prog like Gabrial-era Genesis does!

Love Epping FOrest---it's funny cleaver smart meaningful---and Hackett's guitar at the end is sublime---it's a bit choppy like Suppers Ready is----but all the parts work for me as a whole.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 13:13
Effing Forest
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 17:03
When Gabriel says pretty smells on cinema I cringe. I find the start of moonlit pretty boring too
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 21:36
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

If I should choose one then it is More Fool Me. It foreshown how Genesis will sound without Gabriel in their pop era. I never understood hate toward Battle, it's quite good song in vein of Get 'em Out By Friday. Agreed - it's not among their best songs but why it's so unpopular is beyond me. I consider I Know What I Like worse one as the years go by... for some reason it seems to me more and more boring with poppish tendency. And in fact I didn't expect Firth Of Fifth could have any vote... it's one of their materpieces IMO - but there you are...
All in all, SEBTP in the whole is Genesis best record (with Foxtrot) for me and what I wrote above has no impact on this meaning whatsoever.

Yeah well, the thing is, I also rather hate "Get 'em out by Friday" too. As for the album being the band's best one, I truly agree... if only it weren't for Epping Forest I would consider it a 5 star album.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 03:06
I would agree Get 'em Out By Friday isn't by any mean stellar song (I consider it probably weakest track on Foxtrot), but even so I rather like it. It's sort of 'crazy' song Genesis has on some records  (ie. Harrold The Barrel, GeOBF, Battle, Robbery...) Ususally they are not sooo fantastic, but they aren't awful too IMO.
The point is I've never seen such averse (like there apparently exists toward the Battle) to Get 'em Out By Friday. Maybe I overlooked it...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:56
You people are crazy: More Fool Me is awesome.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 20:56
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

I would agree Get 'em Out By Friday isn't by any mean stellar song (I consider it probably weakest track on Foxtrot), but even so I rather like it. It's sort of 'crazy' song Genesis has on some records  (ie. Harrold The Barrel, GeOBF, Battle, Robbery...) Ususally they are not sooo fantastic, but they aren't awful too IMO.
The point is I've never seen such averse (like there apparently exists toward the Battle) to Get 'em Out By Friday. Maybe I overlooked it...

Yeah, it seems you just chose all the songs that I really hate from Genesis. Perhaps I could add "The Return of the Giant Hogweed", but it somehow doesn't fully fit the kind of sound... and I don't hate it so much... just a little bit. Given this logic, I guess I should also hate "The Knife", but I really do like that one a lot, specially the live version.
Terakonin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 17:44
Gotta go with the masses, More Fool Me.
You left a note in your perfect script
Stay as long as you like
I haven't left your bed since
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2016 at 08:48
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

More Fool Me...Otherwise Mindblowing

This. Replace that weak (read useless) Collins effort with a Nursery Era "Twilight Alehouse" (studio or live) and you may very get a perfect rival to the mighty "Nursery Cryme".

No more, Mr. Nice Guy you are a lousy singer. Just stay behind that drum kit.
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>