Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Marillion album recomendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Marillion album recomendations
    Posted: August 29 2016 at 16:31
Hi folks, this is my first post.
I'd like to not waste my money so I thought I'd ask the forum here.  I'd like to add two or three more Marillion albums to my collection.  I have eight.  I'll show you the albums in order of my favorites being at the top.  Based on this list, can someone recommend a couple more Marillion albums they think I might like?

Here goes in order of preference:

1.  Clutching At Straws -  I LOVE this album and it's my favorite Marillion recording.
2.  Misplaced Childhood -  I love this almost as much as Clutching At Straws. Love the guitar sounds.
3.  Script For A Jesters Tear -  So unique and a gangbuster debut album.
4.  Seasons End - I was surprised how good this was. LOVED "Easter".  The guitar solo rips my heart out and makes me want to cry.  Didn't care for "Hooks in You".
5.  Brave -  Didn't like it that much at first, but I really like it now. Really good album.
6.  Fugazi -  A good continuation of Script.
7.  Marbles - I don't love the whole thing, but more than half of this CD is awesome! Glad I have it.
8.  Afraid of Sunlight - I like most of this album.

I've heard a portion of the song from the new album FEAR.  I didn't care for the F word over and over, but I understand why it's being used.  In the promo video, some of the music from the new album is playing and it sounds pretty good to me (but that was only little bits here and there).  For more information, I really like Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Echolyn, Kate Bush (especially Never Forever, and The Dreaming), Kevin Gilbert, Richard Thompson, Dream Theater, & Big Big Train, among others.

Let me know, thanks!

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 21:16
I guess you know more Marillion than I do, even though I have liked what I have heard very much. The only album I have from the "H" era is "Sounds that can't be made", but I really liked that one a lot. Still, you should check it first, it's much more relaxed than the Fish albums. Also, you might want to check out the Edison's Children albums (a Pete Trewavas side-project). I have the second one, "Final Breath before November", and I love it (though it's very ambient and depressing). I understand the first one has almost the whole Marillion line-up, actually, though I still have to get that one.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2016 at 22:30
Marillion - This Strange Engine (strong one), Recital of the Script (awesome live)

Fish - Vigil in a Wilderness of Mirrors (must have) & Sunsets on Empires
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 07:56
Try Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors the Fish solo album. And Sounds That Can't Be Made.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 08:04
I guess you have the most essential albums.

I can really enjoy the pop-side of Marillion: Somewhere Else, Holidays in Eden and Marillion.com

The lastest Fish album: Feast of Consequences is really great.

The best Fish-era live album is (in my opinion): Live at Loreley, but Real to Reel is heavier, and is also really great.

Any Fish-album is great by the way: Sunsets on Empires and Raingods with Zippos feature Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree.
Fellini Days is a great one to, it features John Wesley (also of Porcupine Tree)
RoadLASER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 12:52
paisanojac

Nothing to add to Your collection. If You like Fish-era, I still recommend the Internal Exile

Edited by RoadLASER - October 29 2016 at 12:52
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 03:04
I guess F.E.A.R is good for you. If you like "Brave" and "Afraid of Sunlight" , You will love F.E.A.R too. As another guys said before , Fish's first solo album (Vigil ... ) is a great album IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply