Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo later mediocre albums diminish better ones?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 20:51
Enjoy the good, forget the bad
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 06:56
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

It has zero effect on me as well!  The music is always 'as it is'!  

This . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 08:02
No effect on me at all. I listen to the good and ignore the bad.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 08:28

...or took a punt on a Brand X album...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 09:50

It has zero effect on me as well!  The music is always 'as it is'!  
Exactly the way l feel.
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:03
It has a very big effect on me. Because I always follow the latest releases by artists. Specifically, I follow the latest releases that come out in 2016.

When your 2016 new release impresses me, I'm in a good mood and I grab the earlier releases as well.

When your 2016 new release doesn't do much for me, there's no way I'm grabbing your earlier releases. So it diminishes the earlier ones.

But all of this has one precondition: I haven't actually heard the earlier releases. If I've heard Close to the Edge and already know it's good, obviously this won't have any effect.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:13
I don't ever make a general judgment about an artist based on just one release (well, at least not when they have multiple releases). I'll check out other stuff they did, too, and I'll research whether they had different stylistic periods to make sure I'm not only checking stuff out from a minority of their different phases.
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 10:53

Indeed, it makes me wonder how those Phil Collins fans in the 80s reacted when they decided to explore his stuff with early Genesis or took a punt on a Brand X album...

Back in school days (yes 80's), I was an avid Phil/Genesis and Phil-solo fan - the Genesis self-titled and Hello I Must Be Going were my bread and butter. My travels backward through time (and the record bin) took me next to W&W and Trick Of The Tail, both of which sounded great to me, even on first listen.

Peter Gabriel and his work with Genesis were a little more difficult for a young and naive American to absorb. (Uniquely British in a way I'd never experienced...)  But I triumphed over my bias, and of course Gabriel/Genesis became my next obsession.

Edited by CapnBearbossa - September 01 2016 at 10:53
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 11:09
A lot of times when a band releases a "stinker" it was because they were trying to expand their horizons and try something new creatively. Even if I don't like the album, I can appreciate the effort involved. This in no way would diminish the glory of a masterpiece.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 11:44
They don't diminish better ones at all. Can't expect any band to be firing on all six cylinders all the time. It doesn't ruin previous greatness.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 01:39
If mediocre or bad albums don't diminish the good ones, it can, albeit, lead the listeners to wonder what happened between each record: were the good albums some lucky accidents? Did an outsider write the good material for the band?
If these considerations won't make someone loathe the early records, it still could make reconsider the attachment to said band.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 02:34
Good example - PhilCo would never had made millions in 1983 by playing drums in 11/8................
Survival is the key............still don't hate on someone who is capable and has 'proven' themselves.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 02:43
I must add, that I find that a lot of album-reviewers diminish or bash albums released in the 80's.
Sometimes without even listening to them.

Apparently the 80's has left people with a sour taste in their mouth, and can't listen to albums released from 1977 up till (at least) 1991 without bias.

I know it's not really on-topic, but it's something I noticed througout the w-w-web.

"Oh, this album by my favourite seventies band is released in 1984? Then it must be crap"

Pity....
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 02:48
Also, sometimes when I 'discover' a band, and I stumble upon a bad or mediocre release, I lose interest in discovering more of that band.

But that's not good. That way I don't give a band the chance to wow me or win me over.

Examples: Supertramp, Genesis, Tool, Radiohead, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin etc.
They are all bands, that I discovered via bad songs (not in my taste), and I cast them aside. Later in my life, I found out that they indeed put out some excellent songs/albums.

Well, never too late, to (re-)discover bands and music.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 03:05
Through the years, I've come to accept the 'shortcomings' of the 80's era music. I recall at the time, say, Invisible Touch, sounded pristine and up-to-date in pure fidelity. Now it sounds like crap. But I still love Genesis. And I love 'The Way We Walk - Vol. 2 The Longs' coz they can still play perfect Prog.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 03:11
Some bands failed miserably in the 80's, but some excelled in the 80's.

I prefer 80's Rush to 70's Rush any time of the day.
Also bands like Saga, Marillion, It Bites sounded better and fresher during the 80's.

I love how the 80's sound is re-emerging. Casting the grungy/alternative sound of the 90's aside.

But hey, every era has it's flaws and it's pros. I love early seventies hammonds and mono-recordings aswell.

Another band I cast aside because of hitsingles I didn't like is Muse.
Never gave them a proper chance.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 03:26
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

It has a very big effect on me. Because I always follow the latest releases by artists. Specifically, I follow the latest releases that come out in 2016.

When your 2016 new release impresses me, I'm in a good mood and I grab the earlier releases as well.

When your 2016 new release doesn't do much for me, there's no way I'm grabbing your earlier releases. So it diminishes the earlier ones.

But all of this has one precondition: I haven't actually heard the earlier releases. If I've heard Close to the Edge and already know it's good, obviously this won't have any effect.

Each to their own I guess, although I think your logic is back to front.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 06:34
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Through the years, I've come to accept the 'shortcomings' of the 80's era music. I recall at the time, say, Invisible Touch, sounded pristine and up-to-date in pure fidelity. Now it sounds like crap. But I still love Genesis. And I love 'The Way We Walk - Vol. 2 The Longs' coz they can still play perfect Prog.

Having lived through my teenage years in the early 80s I'll always love and be biased in favour of the music of this era, but the thing is that Prog in the 80s certainly wasn't the place where the new fresh exciting things in music were going on (good late 70s and early 80s bands that made it into Progarchives like Talking Heads and This Heat were progressive but certainly didn't set out to fit into the existing Prog genre).

Genesis at the time were not progressing music in the least, even where they still sounded "proggy" to some extent; some other prog artists such as Fripp/King Crimson actually did something new and fresh and I appreciate this much more (which makes some criticise the Discipline era rather ridiculously for "sounding like the Talking Heads").

Of course knowing 80s Genesis will not diminish my pleasure when listening to "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" - but still when thinking about how much I appreciate bands and artists overall, this makes Genesis rank much lower for me than for example Fripp/KC or Hammill.

Edited by Lewian - September 02 2016 at 06:34
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 06:49
Actually, I can think of a good example of this happening, but it's not prog. (The purists can now stop reading this post). I was a huge U2 fan in the mid 80s to mid 90s, even though I thought the band themselves were, shall we say, a bit burdened by excessive self-regard. I was able to forgive that because they seemed so obviously sincere, particularly in their political beliefs. In the early 90s, they released a couple of albums which even showed some signs of irony, which I thought was a good sign because it might leaven their sense of self-importance.

The in the late 90s, U2 released an album called Pop which was the most coldly calculating pseudo-hipsterish piece of trash I ever heard, and it really spoiled listening to the earlier albums for a long time. Although I listen to them again now, I haven't really bothered to hear any of their new stuff for 20 years. I was just appalled that they sold out so thoroughly in an attempt to gain some kind of imaginary hipster rep.

OTOH, I never had any issue with reconciling prog-Genesis with pop-Genesis. First, they were essentially two different bands (albeit with some members in common) and second, I like clever pop music and that's what pop-Genesis was all about.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2016 at 07:37
well, later cruddy albums don't affect the way I look at the early masterpieces, but it certainly affects my view about the reasons and ethics of the surviving band members keeping the band going well pas its prime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>