Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Finally replaced my 160GB iPod Classic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinally replaced my 160GB iPod Classic

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 5081
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finally replaced my 160GB iPod Classic
    Posted: August 31 2016 at 15:42
...which died last year.

The substitute is an iPad Pro 256GB. Got 190GB of music syncing from my laptop now, should be done in a few hours.

OK, it's bigger. But I can find one or two other uses for it too...
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1089
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 15:54
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

...which died last year.

The substitute is an iPad Pro 256GB. Got 190GB of music syncing from my laptop now, should be done in a few hours.

OK, it's bigger. But I can find one or two other uses for it too...

Was very sad apple decided to drop the iPod Classic.  Unless you load up your phone with music plus photos.  I loved the fact you could carry all your music around on a small devise. 
Back to Top
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 09 2005
Location: 1952 VBL
Status: Offline
Points: 30845
Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 22:39
My classic 120 (full/1000 albums) died a few months ago and bought a nano 16 to compensate temporarely. The beast ressurected a couple weeks later but I'm mostly using the nano now (new purchases only, rip/erase). I am a satisfied music lover.
Back to Top
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 03 2010
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 17995
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 13:51
My ipod is about 9 years old and on its deathbed, dreading the day it snuffs it because I know there's no good replacements on the market
Back to Top
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 09 2005
Location: 1952 VBL
Status: Offline
Points: 30845
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 14:19
The Touch 128 is very tempting.
Back to Top
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: February 26 2014
Location: Milky Way
Status: Offline
Points: 1185
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2016 at 14:44

The hard drives usually die on the classics.  I had a 30GB classic that failed and replaced the hard drive with a 64Gb flash drive.  Now it’s a 64Gb classic.Smile

 

You can also replace the battery if it doesn’t power up.

Back to Top
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Eclectic Prog Team

Joined: December 30 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 5081
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 07:21
It was a real shame they discontinued the Classics. But I guess there weren't enough people who appreciated what they offered.

The new iPad is now doubling as a transistor radio as I carry it around the house with me. The sound from the four little speakers is surprisingly decent and beats hell out of my old Sony laptop for casual listening.
Back to Top
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 25 2015
Location: kentucky
Status: Offline
Points: 2223
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 08:00
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

My ipod is about 9 years old and on its deathbed, dreading the day it snuffs it because I know there's no good replacements on the market
my 9 year okd 64gb iPod classic is hanging on too. I keep it in the car (90 minutes commute a day) and use an iPod touch the rest of the time. It's fine but the classic is still my favorite. I will be sad when it goes.
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: HiFi Headmania
Status: Offline
Points: 6883
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 09:48
Hello. It's real simple. Buy a DAP (digital audio player). The sound quality because of the internal amp and DAC it has far exceeds that of any apple product sound quality wise.
I recommend the AK jr. It supports high resolution music files of 24/192k and DSD.
You can also use Sandisk Micro SD cards which add on to the 64GB enternal memory.
I use 64 and 32 G SD cards. There is no limit to how much memory you can have cause most of your data can be stored on those SD cards and you can just swap them out and into the player with ease.
It's also a great player too!!

Check it out guys. The I pad and I pods have great UI but when it comes to overall sound quality for a portable device it's extremely lacking. Trust me.

Prog on. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Back to Top
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: April 03 2010
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 17995
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 11:31
lol less than half the storage space for $500 list is not a replacement
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1089
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2016 at 13:59
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hello. It's real simple. Buy a DAP (digital audio player). The sound quality because of the internal amp and DAC it has far exceeds that of any apple product sound quality wise.
I recommend the AK jr. It supports high resolution music files of 24/192k and DSD.
You can also use Sandisk Micro SD cards which add on to the 64GB enternal memory.
I use 64 and 32 G SD cards. There is no limit to how much memory you can have cause most of your data can be stored on those SD cards and you can just swap them out and into the player with ease.
It's also a great player too!!

Check it out guys. The I pad and I pods have great UI but when it comes to overall sound quality for a portable device it's extremely lacking. Trust me.

Prog on. ;)

Thanks for posting this, I've been checking DAP since you posted this..  Good option for replacing the iPod Classic..  So far my 160GB is holding up strong and fingers crossed.  I've managed to back up all my files to 2 portable hard drives so none of my music will be lost. Smile
Back to Top
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: August 11 2012
Location: Toadstool
Status: Offline
Points: 1775
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 16:28
Another family of DAPs which may be more on the economical side is the FiiO product line.  I have the entry level X1 model and have no complaints at $99 (much better sound than my iPod touch).  It has a similar wheel as the classic, uses micro SD chips up to 128GB, plays most all hi res formats (no DSD).
Back to Top
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 1089
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2016 at 16:36
How come DAP's are sized to the SD card,  surely it's according to the size of the card.  Why can't you a 256GB card  instead?
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: HiFi Headmania
Status: Offline
Points: 6883
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 20:41
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

How come DAP's are sized to the SD card,  surely it's according to the size of the card.  Why can't you a 256GB card  instead?


It's just the way it's designed. Also, DAPs are very portable and light weight, so the micro SD cards fit well with their builds. Also a lot of SQ is crammed into DAPS with the amp/DAC that are installed in them, especially for their size.
You also risk making the UI buggy if you cram anything above 128g's at a time. It lags a bit.
Just do 64g increments. It's worth it. :)

And I am also glad you are considering a DAP.
They are light years ahead of an I pod but for SQ only not functionality.
The i pod UI is still the best.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Back to Top
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 03 2011
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 705
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 12:46
I'm still enjoying my 120 Gb Classic but when it goes will be looking at one of those DAPs thanks Cool.
Back to Top
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: October 19 2007
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Points: 2962
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 15:24
I love my 160gb iPod Classic. I use it everyday and have for now many years.
Back to Top
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 28 2010
Location: Funky Town
Status: Offline
Points: 12794
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 21:47
Mine's in the process of kicking the bucket (unless a miracle occurs) so it looks like I'll have to find other options as well
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: HiFi Headmania
Status: Offline
Points: 6883
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 06:54
Well my prog acquaintances. You owe these I pod players nothing!
It is time to make the switch and refine your music experiences.
A DAP along with a decent pair of headphones can go a really long way.
If you guys decide to get a DAP there are 2 very important things that you do in order to utilize your purchase correctly. 1) your music sources. Do away with MP3 files. They are data squished tin can files. They are garbage and please trust me on that. Put nothing but ALAC FLAC or my preference WAV on your device at the very least.
2) good headphones! It's the old saying. Crap in and crap out. Please don't throw sh*tty ear buds into the headphone jack on your new device. Buy a good pair of over ear headphones.

Anyway, If these steps are met you have a pretty damn good music listening experience.
Their are lots of companies that supply great DAPS and headphones, but I will of course leave it to you to do your research and see what suits you best cause a lot of Headphones offer a variety of different sound signatures....example. Some like neutral while others like more low end punch in their sound.
As for DAPS. The amp inside the device along with the DAC chip will offer different sonic characteristics.

Anyhow. Choice is yours. You just have to ask yourself how much do I love listening to music and what do I want to get out of it? In my opinion, clarity and accuracy is a great start.

Enjoy gang. I hope to hear about the gear you all decide on some day soon.

--Nicholas
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Back to Top
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 08 2011
Location: Argentina
Status: Offline
Points: 1017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 13:06
I've had my Ipod since 2007. Still going though I had to change the battery and the headphones socket once.

It sucks they aren't making Ipod classic anymore. Ipads are too big to be carrying around elsewhere and in my phone I had plenty of photos, videos, etc. using space so less room for music too. The Ipod touch also offers less room.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Back to Top
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 26 2011
Location: Portugal
Status: Offline
Points: 3649
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 14:03
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well my prog acquaintances. You owe these I pod players nothing!
It is time to make the switch and refine your music experiences.
A DAP along with a decent pair of headphones can go a really long way.
If you guys decide to get a DAP there are 2 very important things that you do in order to utilize your purchase correctly. 1) your music sources. Do away with MP3 files. They are data squished tin can files. They are garbage and please trust me on that. Put nothing but ALAC FLAC or my preference WAV on your device at the very least.
2) good headphones! It's the old saying. Crap in and crap out. Please don't throw sh*tty ear buds into the headphone jack on your new device. Buy a good pair of over ear headphones.

Anyway, If these steps are met you have a pretty damn good music listening experience.
Their are lots of companies that supply great DAPS and headphones, but I will of course leave it to you to do your research and see what suits you best cause a lot of Headphones offer a variety of different sound signatures....example. Some like neutral while others like more low end punch in their sound.
As for DAPS. The amp inside the device along with the DAC chip will offer different sonic characteristics.

Anyhow. Choice is yours. You just have to ask yourself how much do I love listening to music and what do I want to get out of it? In my opinion, clarity and accuracy is a great start.

Enjoy gang. I hope to hear about the gear you all decide on some day soon.

--Nicholas


Nicholas, my boy, you know you are preaching on the desert, don't you ?
Although I (longtime now) went the route you recommend, FLAC and all that, I reckon people in their vast majority opt for the easy/lazy way.
 Guess Neil Young may be sorry now for being too hopeful about his HiRes movement impact, the masses seem to be content enough with their mp3 to bother (and who am I, pretending to know better?)
But I support strongly your suggestions, that our friends here can benefit from reading .
Cheers
 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 1.254 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.