Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRupert Hine - Prog Related / Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rupert Hine - Prog Related / Crossover Prog
    Posted: September 02 2016 at 02:11
Hello everybody.

I would like to suggest Rupert Hine as an inclusion.
Throughout his career he produced dozens of hit-albums and even prog-artists (Saga, Rush, Camel etc.)
But he released his own albums. With Quantum Jump he tried to create a mix between funk and Canterbury-styled prog. With Thinkman he hit the synthpop-wagon big.

But his solo-records are really proggy and experimental. He released two albums in the beginning of the seventies, wich are the vein of progressive folkrock.

He then released a trilogy of more synthesizer-oriented crossover prog in the early eighties.

His last solo-album was in the nineties and had a more trip-hop/pop approach, with the aid of legendary Underworld. This one is the least prog/experimental.

I will post some YouTube links to this more prog-oriented albums.

His most prog/experimental album:

A more pop approach:

Some songs:

With Phil Palmer (guitar) and Steve Negus of Saga (drums):

Some old songs, of his seventies albums:

Here is a Wikipedia-page with more info:

I would say his style and voice are reminiscent of David Bowie, Peter Gabriel but is more unique and really worth the addition to the website, because of the experimental character.
Also musicians on his albums are prog-related (Geoff Richardson, Phil Palmer, Steve Farris, Stewart Copeland, Phil Collins, Stephen W. Tayler, Trevor Morais, Chris Thompson).

If I have to give more information, please let me know.

Edited by Kingsnake - September 09 2016 at 08:02
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 01:55
bump
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 07:59
You need to put a suggested sub genre in your topic title, otherwise it will probably attract very few comments (and no members of any evaluation team will be drawn towards it either). The only 'full' sub that this guy might fit into would be Crossover Prog, but I feel it might be touch and go as to whether he actually made it there, and the team isn't very active at the moment anyway - nor has it been for a while, sadly.

He would certainly be a strong candidate for Prog Related...IF he were better known. That category is exceedingly hard to get into these days. For any band or artist to make it there now, they firstly have to be a really well known name, secondly need to have made their mark on or have influenced the development of prog rock in some readily definable way, and thirdly need to have the support of one of our Special Collaborators, who would have to be sufficiently convinced of their merit for inclusion to prepare a case on their behalf to present to admins. Rupert has certainly influenced the development of prog rock over the years, but is he sufficiently well-known...? Ermm

More discussion regarding the guy's prog credentials can be read here: https://www.facebook.com/prog/posts/913218685384102, and there was a feature on him recently in the UK's Prog magazine, but you'll have to be a member of Teamrock (or start a free trial) to read it. Disapprove

Edited by yam yam - September 06 2016 at 08:01
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 01:24
Thanks Yam Yam.

I changed the subject title now.
Let's hope he gets through the commission.
I am sure a lot of proggers have records of Hine at home, and are waiting in anticipation to review them :D
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 01:35
*BUMP*
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 04:43
I must admit I'd never heard of him before seeing this thread.
I am however pretty glad I did as I happen to love this kind of stuff. I listened to the first album 'Immunity' and I am sure I will be aqcuiring it for myself at some point. Thanks for the heads up!
I don't hear any prog though - more like New Wave, post-punk and synth pop all mixed up nicely with a few experimental bits here and there. Reminds me of Ultravox come to think of it. Another great band...that really doesn't fit in on PA, like Hine imho.
Just my two cents.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 04:57
He's related to prog related at best, and I don't think that is enough.
What?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 05:14
Fair enough. I think we'll just forget about him, and discuss him in the forum.
Thanks for comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply