12 [8.63%]
1 [0.72%]
1 [0.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some British TV comedies of last 20 years
    Posted: September 04 2016 at 01:07
So, yeah, we had a modern British sitcoms poll made a few years ago, and I've mentioned various of these in a poll or two I did, but these are some of my favourite comedies of the last twenty odd years -- some, like Misfits, are more other genres mixed with comedy, but still can be very funny, so I include it. Inside No. 9 is listed as a comedy show, or comedy drama, and can be funny or very sad. Haven't thought of Black Mirror as comedy really (one of my favourite shows), but I see it listed as a comedy drama, and the PM got bacon thing was pretty funny, so I can't resist including it.

Ran out of space for Big Babies -- a weird BBC kids show that I love. I would have sooner kicked out another, but figured I'd keep another that I don't like as much but is more likely to get votes.

Really doing this cause I finished watching two great ones fairly recently, Snuff Box (not that recently), and most recently the venerable League of Gentlemen -- better late than never. I had caught some of both before, but never finished with them until late. The League of Gentlemen series is amazing, but I didn't manage to make it all the way through the Apocalypse film -- would have loved to see them live. I had been put off a bit by the laugh tracks, and yes, they do use canned laughter in the first two series and none in the third, but as it is so genuinely funny I accept the laugh tracks.

Multiple choice enabled... Please mention any other ones you like especially of the darker variety of comedy -- if I wanted to feel good I'd have married bloody James Brown. Guess I should have included Father Ted, though some claim it's more Irish (British production company for a British channel though). Still feel weird including some of these so-called comedy dramas, but whatever.... I'm sure I've missed some of my favourites and may edit the poll later.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 02:31
I'll go for Peep Show. It's run for nine series without loss of quality (IMO)

There's some great shows on your list. The Office and Extras were genius as was Brass Eye and Spaced.

Black Mirror, althogh briliant isn't really comedy, even of the dark variety. It's more 'speculative drama' Have I just invented a genre..?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 03:21
Too hard to pick from the list, I think I need to click them all! I would like to add some from the same period that I love, like Fresh Meat, and That Mitchel & Webb Look. Also a honourable mention to The Wrong Door, which sadly balances brilliant sci-fi comedy with absolutely cringeworthy toilet humour.

Edited by Kotro - September 04 2016 at 03:22
Bigger on the inside.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 03:28
Don't know many of these, so The Detectorists will have to do.   Lovely show.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 03:35
Tough choices - went with Garth Merenghi but Toast of London, Mighty Boosh, Green Wing, Snuff Box, IT Crowd, Spaced or Black Books would have done just as well.

It's easier for me to list those I don't like: Brass Eye, The Office, Alan Partridge, Little Britain, Thick of It... all of which seem to consist of one or two mildly amusing ideas repeated ad nauseam. [the Fast Show has a lot to answer for]
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 05:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Tough choices - went with Garth Merenghi but Toast of London, Mighty Boosh, Green Wing, Snuff Box, IT Crowd, Spaced or Black Books would have done just as well.

It's easier for me to list those I don't like: Brass Eye, The Office, Alan Partridge, Little Britain, Thick of It... all of which seem to consist of one or two mildly amusing ideas repeated ad nauseam. [the Fast Show has a lot to answer for]

The ones you do like are good I agree, but I would have put most of your 'do not like' list ahead of all of those.. The Thick of It was the best policital satire since Yes Minister IMO. Loved Brass Eye, although must admit Alan Patridge was of its time, and I never liked Little Britain anyway.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 05:48
Politics has surpassed satire these days so The Thick of It is more like a documentary than a comedy.
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 17:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'll go for Peep Show. It's run for nine series without loss of quality (IMO)

There's some great shows on your list. The Office and Extras were genius as was Brass Eye and Spaced.

Black Mirror, althogh briliant isn't really comedy, even of the dark variety. It's more 'speculative drama' Have I just invented a genre..?

As I think I said, I don't consider Black Mirror comedy either (lots of shows/ films/ novels have comedic elements without being comedy), but I couldn't resist adding it as I have seen it listed here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/list/ under Comedy Drama, "speculative drama" works well as a descriptor for its brand of speculative fiction. If Black Mirror is comedy then I think I could added Brooker's Dead Set (highly recommended, by the way, especially for those who like zombie stuff).

I haven't watched a lot of the Peep Show yet -- some clips and a few episodes. Having run for so long, I found it a bit daunting, especially as I like to marathon shows (sometimes over a few days).

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Too hard to pick from the list, I think I need to click them all! I would like to add some from the same period that I love, like Fresh Meat, and That Mitchel & Webb Look. Also a honourable mention to The Wrong Door, which sadly balances brilliant sci-fi comedy with absolutely cringeworthy toilet humour.

Cool, seen a bit of Fresh Meat and That Mitchel and Web Look, but not the Wrong Door at all. Somehow that completely escaped my radar that I recall. Sci-fi comedy mixed with toilet humour sounds right up my alley, if you'll excuse the pun.

Was going to respond to all comments now, but got the runs, erm, have to run.

Edited by Logan - September 04 2016 at 17:32
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 17:44
How come , I cannot vote in polls?

Edited by noni - September 04 2016 at 17:44
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 20:05
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

How come , I cannot vote in polls?

Voting in polls is disabled until you reach 40 posts.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Don't know many of these, so The Detectorists will have to do.   Lovely show.

Yet another that has thus far been undetected by me -- see it won a BAFTA for Best Situation Comedy and critics have called it "delightful". Seems it's on Acorn, which I might try since I'm tired of Netflix Canada.

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Tough choices - went with Garth Merenghi but Toast of London, Mighty Boosh, Green Wing, Snuff Box, IT Crowd, Spaced or Black Books would have done just as well.It's easier for me to list those I don't like: Brass Eye, The Office, Alan Partridge, Little Britain, Thick of It... all of which seem to consist of one or two mildly amusing ideas repeated ad nauseam. [the Fast Show has a lot to answer for]

The ones you do like are good I agree, but I would have put most of your 'do not like' list ahead of all of those.. The Thick of It was the best policital satire since Yes Minister IMO. Loved Brass Eye, although must admit Alan Patridge was of its time, and I never liked Little Britain anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of Little Britain or Alan Partridge, though I like them, but I loved The Thick of It. I enjoyed it enough to marathon the whole series. I wouldn't put it as the best satire since Yes PM, but the best I can think of since House of Cards/ To Play the King (traditionally my fave series). The Thick of It is stellar compared to crappy quasi attempts at satire that were really lame farce such as Rideau Hall (toothless fiction about a Canadian Governor General). Disliked the film version of The Thick of It, though, but TV shows rarely translate well to film, I find (sure the Monty Python troupe made great films, but their approach was different).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 21:35
Realized I forgot another show I finished recently, Buster, which I discovered particularly due to Matthew Holness (of Garth Merenghi and Man to Man with Dean Learner) involvement (was watching Time Trumpet too, but due to its nature despite taking place in the future it's dated).

Speaking of Matthew Holness, I loved this:

EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:08
Most of these show have not aired on Oz TV, so don't know many of them so will pick
The IT Crowd for the cute chick....

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - September 29 2016 at 04:08
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 09:48
From the ones listed I'll say the IT Crowd, but for me the best British comedy in a while was Come Fly With Me.  Sure they beat a couple of jokes to death but Tommy, Fearghal and these ladies made it all worth while.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 11:47
I haven't seen much of these so I'm not gonna vote.

But I really love Garth Merenghi's Darkplace. Had a great time watching the first season of: Spaced years ago, but hated the first two episodes of the second season so much I never finished it. The Office is a classic of the genre it pretty much invented (or if not it was certainly the most influential) but Extras was more to my taste. Especially the second season. Thanks to Ashley Jensen('s character) it had a heart as well. Enjoyed the little I've seen of The League of Gentlemen and the same goes for I'm Alan Partridge. Didn't find much to laugh at in Little Britain. Not familiar with the rest.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 14:33
I'm pleased to see this revived. Haven't been watching British comedy or British shows of late as I got addicted to the US show Dexter (like various shows on this poll, Dexter certainly has its dark moments).

^^ Have seen a bit of Come Fly With Me -- great suggestion for Little Britaineers.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

...I really love Garth Merenghi's Darkplace. Had a great time watching the first season of: Spaced years ago, but hated the first two episodes of the second season so much I never finished it. The Office is a classic of the genre it pretty much invented (or if not it was certainly the most influential) but Extras was more to my taste. Especially the second season. Thanks to Ashley Jensen('s character) it had a heart as well. Enjoyed the little I've seen of The League of Gentlemen and the same goes for I'm Alan Partridge. Didn't find much to laugh at in Little Britain. Not familiar with the rest.

I would like to suggest Man to Man With Dean Learner since you love Garth Merenghi's Darkplace. It's a fake chat show in the world of Garth Merenghi... with Richard Ayoade as the titular host and Matthew Holness playing various characters including an episode as Garth Merenghi which also features Matt Berry. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Man+to+Man+with+Dean+learner+playlist
My particular favourite of the six episodes is the Randolph Caer one about the maligned star of the Garth Merenghi penned film, Bitch Killer.

I also prefer Extras to the Office. The fake documentary series People Like Us which came out before The Office is quite similar (the show was actually cancelled by BBC to make way for or in favour of The Office, which was put on air soon after the last episode of PLU aired). I actually prefer People Like Us to the Office for its subtlety.

Fans of The League of Gentlemen (of which I am disappointed that there isn't more evidence of here) who haven't seen Psychoville should really check it out, and then look into Inside No. 9.

Edited by Logan - September 29 2016 at 14:40
ColonelClaypool View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColonelClaypool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 07:08
Only seen a few of these, and for me the only option is Black Books, which is brilliant.

I've never understood why Ricky Gervais is considered a comedic genius and The Office is one of the least funny things I've ever seen. I don't find Alan Partridge all that funny, either, and Little Britain is just dreadful.
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.
Jamy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 15:50
Nobody votes for League of Gentlemen?
Disgusting.

Where is Reginal Perrin, crissakes.
Greys0n View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greys0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 10:00
Unfortunately I can't take part in the poll. But I must I love British TV. It's unavailable for my area but I read an article on this issue so no problem for now. Detectorists, by the way,  is a great tv show. 

Edited by Greys0n - November 24 2016 at 10:02
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 10:36
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 15:09
I know that Red Dwarf is still going, but I meant British comedy series that first aired within about the last 20 years. Red Dwarf first aired in February 1988. I know it well even if I haven't been regularly watching it since the 90s. It's much the same reason why Red Dwarf wasn't included in this British sitcom poll: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=93887&KW=british+sitcom&PN=6

This is a fave segment of mine from the show from the season that won me over (I wasn't a fan of the show when I started watching it in the late 80s, maybe cause I was just so into Black Adder back then):

That said, I did say "Please mention any other ones you like especially of the darker variety of comedy", but I do tend to give such suggestions/ mentions more weight if people can think of something they like from my lists. And indeed, if somebody can say, because you like this, you might like this irregardless of country of origin or vintage then I would be very grateful for the recommendation.

But, digressions are welcomed as polls are merely an accessory to discussion and a not wholly satisfory aid to revelation.

I did remember one that I forgot that does fit my parameters: The Peter Serafinowicz Show which is sketch show from 2007 and 2008.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>