8 [7.69%]
1 [0.96%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 11:05
Saw episode one of Inside No. 9's series four last night -- a clever Shakespearean tale in iambic pentameter called Zanzibar. Being into such stuff, I absolutely loved it. I'm jealous of creators/ writers/performers Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith.* I already mentioned how much I loved the recent League of Gentlemen specials, and am a big ban of their Psychoville. EDIT cause I'm a podcat and discovered Adam Buxton's podcast because of this: https://www.acast.com/adambuxton/ep.52-stevepemberton-reeceshearsmith

Although I added Black Mirror as a bit of a joke to the list despite its sometime dramedy (comedy drama) elements, I did like having it on the list as something of an accessory to Inside No. 9 (the two anthology series are often compared). Mentioned in another thread, but I love Black Mirror's USS Callister from the latest series (Trek fans should watch it) and the episode Hang the DJ was quite comedic (at times that one reminded me of one of my favourite modern films, The Lobster, which in turn reminded me somewhat of another favourite film of mine called The Bothersome Man, which in turn was somewhat reminiscent to me of another fave, Amelie and other Jeunet et Caro films etc.)

Don't know if I mentioned it already, but another dark comedic anthology series worth mentioning when talking Inside No. 9 is Steve Coogan's comedy-horror Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible (created by Graham Duff). I didn't know it when I made the list, otherwise it would have been included (think I'll do another for anthology series, a more classic one I adored was Michael Palin and Terry Jones's Ripping Yarns). Fans of ones such as Garth Merenghi's Darkplace may also like Dr. Terrible's House of Horror (I saw it on dailymotion and have recommended it to Netflix here since it's not readily available).

*I had wanted to write comedy (more dramedy) for a living when I was young (of the dark and sad comedic variety), but my failure is a sort of tragicomedy of its own. At least I get some pleasure from rambling here.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 11:39
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:38
Logan - I thought 'Zanzibar' was a great take on 'A Comedy of Errors' and built-up very well as it progressed. Some of my favourite actors in one hallway! I hope Steve and Reece continue their rich seam of fine comedy writing in the weeks to come. Great to see 'Black Mirror' back. Loved the first one - as I was a second generation Star Trek fan in the 70s. I loved the way you sympathised with the guy initially, but then....... (spoiler alert! 😉). The next two were good, but lesser creations - looking forward to 'Hang the DJ' tomorrow. Not trying to binge this week. Just worked through Season 3 of Mr Robot - and still thinking of the hours I'll never get back again! 😂 Actually, wasn't too bad - but each season has been getting less essential!
"...and the man in the mirror has sad eyes."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Logan - I thought 'Zanzibar' was a great take on 'A Comedy of Errors' and built-up very well as it progressed. Some of my favourite actors in one hallway! I hope Steve and Reece continue their rich seam of fine comedy writing in the weeks to come. Great to see 'Black Mirror' back. Loved the first one - as I was a second generation Star Trek fan in the 70s. I loved the way you sympathised with the guy initially, but then....... (spoiler alert! 😉). The next two were good, but lesser creations - looking forward to 'Hang the DJ' tomorrow. Not trying to binge this week. Just worked through Season 3 of Mr Robot - and still thinking of the hours I'll never get back again! 😂 Actually, wasn't too bad - but each season has been getting less essential!

Agreed. And Zanzibar did Shakespeare more economically than Shakespeare did {and seeing how long this post got, that goes for what I would be capable of}. Very clever writing. Steve and Reece are a really dynamic duo for me -- tops in my list. I hope they can continue as long as possible. I would have liked a series three of Psychoville but it's great that they went on to do Inside No. 9 which is so creative and recent The League of Gentlemen specials I loved.

Feel the same about Black Mirror, except I haven't seen Crocodile yet (seen USS Callister, Arkangel, Hang the DJ, and Metalhead). USS Callister is my favourite, but a lot of people put Hang the DJ over it.

Some people especially like the more romantic BM episodes. From what I have read, the usual favourite from the last series was San Junipero, which didn't resonate with me as much as some other episodes, especially Shut Up and Dance (my other fave was Hated in the Nation from series 3). Or series 2's Be Right Back, whereas I'm more of a White Bear and Black Christmas person from that time. And most people I've read put The Entire History of You from s1 over Hated in the Nation, EDIT, I mean The National Anthem (those two titles get mixed up in my head) and Fifteen Million Merits, unlike me, so don't know how much my tastes correspond with others. Sorry, I'm rambling, but....

I still really like Black Mirror, but I feel in moving to Netflix it's often become a little too Americanized and Netflix series often feel test-marketed to me. Love the show, and glad it's continuing. USS Callister is one of my favourites from Black Mirror, though. Great way to start the series. And when I say too Americanized, I love plenty of US shows, but I love British qualities that you find in shows such as Inside No. 9 (which I would say was always more quintessentially British than Black Mirror and would not fare well if adapted for American audiences in particular, other than some PBS viewers).

I'm going to watch Crocodile tonight. I enjoyed Metalhead a lot, but it's more for the aesthetic than the story (I will avoid spoilers).

Good to see another person into Mr. Robot, I only recently started on the show. Really liking it. Side-note that will be of no interest to anyone but myself: I checked it out because of a podcast I listen to with two rather vulgar American Professors who make up Very Bad Wizards

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 16:47
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:24
Just pushed ahead with Hang the DJ tonight after your prompt and although it took me time to get into it, it was a really nice feel-good one - in a similar vein to San Junipero - my favourite from the last season. However, still think USS Callister has the edge overall, so we are in agreement there! Happy viewing (although maybe not an appropriate word for Crocodile)
"...and the man in the mirror has sad eyes."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic