12 [8.63%]
1 [0.72%]
1 [0.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 11:05
Saw episode one of Inside No. 9's series four last night -- a clever Shakespearean tale in iambic pentameter called Zanzibar. Being into such stuff, I absolutely loved it. I'm jealous of creators/ writers/performers Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith.* I already mentioned how much I loved the recent League of Gentlemen specials, and am a big ban of their Psychoville. EDIT cause I'm a podcat and discovered Adam Buxton's podcast because of this: https://www.acast.com/adambuxton/ep.52-stevepemberton-reeceshearsmith

Although I added Black Mirror as a bit of a joke to the list despite its sometime dramedy (comedy drama) elements, I did like having it on the list as something of an accessory to Inside No. 9 (the two anthology series are often compared). Mentioned in another thread, but I love Black Mirror's USS Callister from the latest series (Trek fans should watch it) and the episode Hang the DJ was quite comedic (at times that one reminded me of one of my favourite modern films, The Lobster, which in turn reminded me somewhat of another favourite film of mine called The Bothersome Man, which in turn was somewhat reminiscent to me of another fave, Amelie and other Jeunet et Caro films etc.)

Don't know if I mentioned it already, but another dark comedic anthology series worth mentioning when talking Inside No. 9 is Steve Coogan's comedy-horror Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible (created by Graham Duff). I didn't know it when I made the list, otherwise it would have been included (think I'll do another for anthology series, a more classic one I adored was Michael Palin and Terry Jones's Ripping Yarns). Fans of ones such as Garth Merenghi's Darkplace may also like Dr. Terrible's House of Horror (I saw it on dailymotion and have recommended it to Netflix here since it's not readily available).

*I had wanted to write comedy (more dramedy) for a living when I was young (of the dark and sad comedic variety), but my failure is a sort of tragicomedy of its own. At least I get some pleasure from rambling here.

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 11:39
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 14:38
Logan - I thought 'Zanzibar' was a great take on 'A Comedy of Errors' and built-up very well as it progressed. Some of my favourite actors in one hallway! I hope Steve and Reece continue their rich seam of fine comedy writing in the weeks to come. Great to see 'Black Mirror' back. Loved the first one - as I was a second generation Star Trek fan in the 70s. I loved the way you sympathised with the guy initially, but then....... (spoiler alert! 😉). The next two were good, but lesser creations - looking forward to 'Hang the DJ' tomorrow. Not trying to binge this week. Just worked through Season 3 of Mr Robot - and still thinking of the hours I'll never get back again! 😂 Actually, wasn't too bad - but each season has been getting less essential!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Logan - I thought 'Zanzibar' was a great take on 'A Comedy of Errors' and built-up very well as it progressed. Some of my favourite actors in one hallway! I hope Steve and Reece continue their rich seam of fine comedy writing in the weeks to come. Great to see 'Black Mirror' back. Loved the first one - as I was a second generation Star Trek fan in the 70s. I loved the way you sympathised with the guy initially, but then....... (spoiler alert! 😉). The next two were good, but lesser creations - looking forward to 'Hang the DJ' tomorrow. Not trying to binge this week. Just worked through Season 3 of Mr Robot - and still thinking of the hours I'll never get back again! 😂 Actually, wasn't too bad - but each season has been getting less essential!

Agreed. And Zanzibar did Shakespeare more economically than Shakespeare did {and seeing how long this post got, that goes for what I would be capable of}. Very clever writing. Steve and Reece are a really dynamic duo for me -- tops in my list. I hope they can continue as long as possible. I would have liked a series three of Psychoville but it's great that they went on to do Inside No. 9 which is so creative and recent The League of Gentlemen specials I loved.

Feel the same about Black Mirror, except I haven't seen Crocodile yet (seen USS Callister, Arkangel, Hang the DJ, and Metalhead). USS Callister is my favourite, but a lot of people put Hang the DJ over it.

Some people especially like the more romantic BM episodes. From what I have read, the usual favourite from the last series was San Junipero, which didn't resonate with me as much as some other episodes, especially Shut Up and Dance (my other fave was Hated in the Nation from series 3). Or series 2's Be Right Back, whereas I'm more of a White Bear and Black Christmas person from that time. And most people I've read put The Entire History of You from s1 over Hated in the Nation, EDIT, I mean The National Anthem (those two titles get mixed up in my head) and Fifteen Million Merits, unlike me, so don't know how much my tastes correspond with others. Sorry, I'm rambling, but....

I still really like Black Mirror, but I feel in moving to Netflix it's often become a little too Americanized and Netflix series often feel test-marketed to me. Love the show, and glad it's continuing. USS Callister is one of my favourites from Black Mirror, though. Great way to start the series. And when I say too Americanized, I love plenty of US shows, but I love British qualities that you find in shows such as Inside No. 9 (which I would say was always more quintessentially British than Black Mirror and would not fare well if adapted for American audiences in particular, other than some PBS viewers).

I'm going to watch Crocodile tonight. I enjoyed Metalhead a lot, but it's more for the aesthetic than the story (I will avoid spoilers).

Good to see another person into Mr. Robot, I only recently started on the show. Really liking it. Side-note that will be of no interest to anyone but myself: I checked it out because of a podcast I listen to with two rather vulgar American Professors who make up Very Bad Wizards

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 16:47
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 16:24
Just pushed ahead with Hang the DJ tonight after your prompt and although it took me time to get into it, it was a really nice feel-good one - in a similar vein to San Junipero - my favourite from the last season. However, still think USS Callister has the edge overall, so we are in agreement there! Happy viewing (although maybe not an appropriate word for Crocodile)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2018 at 17:34
I really enjoyed 'Upstart Crow' first time around on the BBC - but watching it again on Netflix - it is really gaining in stature and Ben Elton's wordplay along with the sublime David Mitchell, the wonderful Mark Heap and the strangely seductive Lisa Tarbuck (maybe it's the brummie accent and the bodice!).....let alone Harry Enfield and Paula Wilcox - is all actually making it much very close to Black Adder in style and quality than I first thought. The satire around Shakespeare's plays, teenage culture and modern life seen through the past (the continued moaning about the coach service delays...) all hit the mark. Even a piss-take of Ricky Gervais! Highly recommended if you've ever had a brush with the bard!

Or maybe I'm just talking a load of coddlingtons....

Edited by Squonk19 - February 11 2018 at 17:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 08:04
Is this thread still going? Only now I saw it thanks to the League of Gentlemen thread. Not particularly a fan of that show (I've seen a few episodes but kind of got the impression that the way their jokes work is pretty much always the same), however I'm a massive fan of Green Wing and love quite a few others here, too, namely The Thick Of It, Brass Eye, Alan Partridge, The Office, Spaced, also Outnumbered as mentioned in the discussion.
Getting On would have deserved a spot in the poll. Oh and not to forget Sean Lock's "15 Storeys High" from around the corner of where I lived in London. I'm surprised that Extras does so well in the poll; not that it's bad, I actually enjoyed it, but for me it was always an offshoot of The Office, good but not quite at the same level.

Not sure whether the quality of Britcom has gone down a bit recently, I found it harder to find really great new shows in the last few years compared with when I came to London. 2012/W1A was great though and People Just Do Nothing has some Spaced-like charm. I have to check out a few mentioned here that I don't know.

Edited by Lewian - March 05 2019 at 08:10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 08:26
Haha, I realise I'm really a comedy oddball on this site... My vote for Green Wing was the first (unbelievable, this is so stunningly original and no show has more genuinely funny main characters) and I haven't voted for anything that had >= 10 votes before and only Alan Partridge even had more than two!
Actually I liked "People Like Us" (one of the few still without votes) more than anything that has >=10, although I enjoy some of those as well.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 10:33
^^ With The League of Gentlemen, I love the macabre/ horror aspect of it, the absurdity, the characters and atmosphere, and general ideas, more so than any particular jokes. The Beast of Royston Vasey, for instance, I found so creepy and ultimately funny. It might have helped that I'd just finished binging Psychoville, which I loved, when I finally got into watching TLoG.

By the way, I only included ones I know well that were created during the past 20 or so years of when I made the poll, and I have not seen Getting On or 15 Storeys High that I recall. Thanks, I will look out for them, as well as People Just Do Nothing (caught some of it before). I discovered quite a few good per my tastes ones since making the poll.

I loved People Like Us (more than the quite similar The Office). As for Greenwing, very good ensemble, Michelle Gomez being a particular favourite of mine on the show.

Right now I'm going through Flowers (with Olivia Colman and Julian Barratt).

Edited by Logan - March 05 2019 at 10:42
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 11:25
Michelle Gomez is genius, pure gold in Green Wing. Flowers is the last thing I still watched in London, not too bad either.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2019 at 13:45
Peep Show
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 13:44
From the list, The IT Crowd.  But the best in the time frame was As Time Goes By. Dame Judith Dench rocks at comedy as well.  

Oh, Wait... it's not that cut and dried.  There's also Doc Martin.  Yep, that's the ticket right there. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2019 at 14:08
I chose "Extras" even before I saw it in the list. Smile
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 13:37
How could you miss Friday Night Dinner? Everything with Tamsin Greig is amazing, Friday Night Dinner, Green Wing, Black Books.

Edited by LAM-SGC - February 10 2020 at 13:40
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 16:12
^ I only caught Black Books because it showed on TV and Green Wing because it was on Canada's Netflix (loved Michelle Gomez in that).   I watched all of the ones on the list through various means. This was a list of my modern faves at the time (I knew Black Mirror didn't fit well, but the pig episode needed to be represented due to it's very dark comedy aspect). While I have discovered many more since I made this poll four years ago, that is one show that I still have not seen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 16:32
At first, I couldn't think of any British TV comedies I'd watched in the last 20 years because I don't have a TV license, but then I remembered how much I enjoyed watching Ricky Gervais recently in Extras on DVD. Smile
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 06:49
Black Mirror? Not even remotely a comedy.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 10:56
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Black Mirror? Not even remotely a comedy.

It might help it you expatiate on your statement -- it helps in conversation to understand where we're both coming from. I tend to resist such absolutist statements, and am more interested in the grey areas than black-and-white, this not that, kinds of thinking, but that's my psychology.

While I have not claimed that is a comedy and I have addressed the inclusion in my opening post and in other posts, if one were to claim that it has no comedic aspect then that would seem very off to me. Is it comedy, I'd say no. Does it incorporate comedy (comedic aspects) in episodes, I'd say yes. I don't know if you've read through the thread, or even just the posts that mention Black Mirror, but I would argue that while Black Mirror is mostly a sort of dark drama, it does have dark comedy/ dramedy aspects, and to Charlie Brooker as I recall (some episodes come closer to dramedy for me than others). Charlie Brooker has said that he rather had wanted it to be a comedy, and of course he has that sort of background (Chris Morris was an influence, who he worked with on Nathan Barley). Would A Touch of Cloth, his Newswipe or Screenwipe be more relevant, yes. I would also argue that his Dead Set is a sort of dark comedy/ dramedy.

In case you missed my earlier posts on this:

From my original post:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Although I added Black Mirror as a bit of a joke to the list despite its sometime dramedy (comedy drama) elements, I did like having it on the list as something of an accessory to Inside No. 9 (the two anthology series are often compared). Mentioned in another thread, but I love Black Mirror's USS Callister from the latest series (Trek fans should watch it) and the episode Hang the DJ was quite comedic....

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'll go for Peep Show. It's run for nine series without loss of quality (IMO)

There's some great shows on your list. The Office and Extras were genius as was Brass Eye and Spaced.

Black Mirror, althogh briliant isn't really comedy, even of the dark variety. It's more 'speculative drama' Have I just invented a genre..?

As I think I said, I don't consider Black Mirror comedy either (lots of shows/ films/ novels have comedic elements without being comedy), but I couldn't resist adding it as I have seen it listed here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/list/ under Comedy Drama, "speculative drama" works well as a descriptor for its brand of speculative fiction. If Black Mirror is comedy then I think I could added Brooker's Dead Set (highly recommended, by the way, especially for those who like zombie stuff)....

Perhaps, there is some interesting discussion to be had here over whether Black Mirror is remotely a comedy (say if it has back comedy/ dramedy aspects), or if for you it ever crosses into comedy, and to find and take a deep dive into your disagreements in what I've written about it in this thread. Like with Inside No. 9, as an anthology series, it has the opportunity to be comedic. There are many episodes that I think have dark dramedy or tragicomedy aspects: The National Anthem, USS Callister, The Waldo Moment, Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too, Hang the DJ, Fifteen Million Merits and more. Heck, Crocodile was dark as hell, but the Guinea Pig aspect made me laugh like hell. Does it make it the anthology series a comedy, no, but I never claimed it was. Does it make it remotely a comedy when it comes to particular episodes, I would argue, yes. Maybe I would be more in-line with you if you spell out your argument, and your disagreement with what I have said in this thread. Disagreeing with me adding it, well, I debated doing that myself, and were I do do the poll today it would be rather different. I do think Charlie Brooker's sense of humour is clear across the series of Black Mirror (in some episodes more than others). If he does one that focuses on poo, then it will be clearer still.

By the way, since you were surprised that I didn't include Friday Night Dinner, is it something you think would fit my tastes really well? I especially like dark comedy/ dramedies and often a certain surrealism. I'm surprised in this years old multiple vote poll that Psychoville, Inside No. 9, Snuff Box, and Misfits (Misfits is more of a dramedy serial than comedy per se, and the anthology series Inside No. 9 is part comedy, but is not at all comedy).

Edited by Logan - February 11 2020 at 11:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:13
One of my all-time favourite comedy dramas is Minder, starring George Cole (Arthur Daley) and Dennis Waterman (Terry McCann). I have the entire ten season series on DVD.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:13
Black Mirror is a sci-fi thriller.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2020 at 11:33
Wow, I spend that much time writing and your response is that minimalistic and simplistic. I'm fine with that as a general descriptor for the show, but that seems overly narrow way to categorise each episode of the series. And a show could be sci-fi drama and still have comedy aspects (I never claimed it was a comedy and always try to at least read the OP before questioning things). If you've seen my sci-fi poll you will notice Black Mirror on it. I specifically referenced the initial episode, The National Anthem, in my response to you earlier.   What's so science fiction about that? There's nothing particularly sci-fi about an episode like Smithereens either -- so the CEO goes God mode on his laptop. As with many things, I think you can add many descriptor for the show's episodes. Some are more sci-fi than others, and some are more thriller. I might refer it to the show as speculative fiction. Some episodes to me are more humorous than others. Technology is key throughout, whether cell phones in The National Anthem, "cookies' in various ones, social media apps is Smithereens or Nosedive, or killer robotic bees in Hated in the Nation.

I think attempting a nuanced dialogue/ dialectic will be more work than it's worth. Kind of a downer, to be honest.

Edited by Logan - February 11 2020 at 11:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>