FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew iPhone 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New iPhone 7
    Posted: September 07 2016 at 23:42
Ive had 3 generations of iPhones in my time and find them very reliable.

It's often been a concern specially with storage.  Both the iPads and iPhones start off with limited storage... Finally the new iPhone 7 starts off with 32GB instead of 16GB...  But extra storage will cripple you on the new phone if you want more.

Another stupid invention is to do away with the headphone socket.  Now you guys will have to buy headphones that work on Bluetooth...

I'm starting to hate Apple products even more now, except the computer.

Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 23:46
Yeah I've been using a Galaxy for the past few years and recently became intrigued at how the other side lives, but as someone who listens to music I'm... not impressed. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 06:57
Well, for every other phone you have to specifically buy headphones with a headphone jack. So what's the problem? Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 07:03
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Well, for every other phone you have to specifically buy headphones with a headphone jack. So what's the problem? Smile

Because if you currently have a nice set of headphones with a standard cable - you won't be able to use them with the new iPhone.
And if they're as hard to connect as my laptop and Bluetooth speaker then they'll be a pain in the arse (although to be fair that's the fault of Windows 10 and it's flippin' Anniversary update).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 07:14
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Because if you currently have a nice set of headphones with a standard cable - you won't be able to use them with the new iPhone.
And if they're as hard to connect as my laptop and Bluetooth speaker then they'll be a pain in the arse (although to be fair that's the fault of Windows 10 and it's flippin' Anniversary update).

Happy Anniversary! Hug
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 07:15
I believe it will be shipped with a lightning to 3.5mm jack adaptor and no doubt sometime in the future they'll produce yet another adaptor (for $50) that has a through-port so it can be recharged while using tethered listening devices.

The lack of a slot for memory expansion has always been a bug-bear for me. I haven't bought into the idea of storing my private data on a remote computer owned by Apple (aka the iCloud) nor will I ever. Again you can buy adaptors to enable external memory cards to be connected by the lightning connector for $20 but frankly, that's a pretty poor compromise - if they have a port to plug-in a nano-SIM (because they must or the iPhone would be only be useful as an expensive paperweight) then they can do the same for a microSD card. Of course if they did that then they couldn't charge an extra $150 for the 128Gb iPhone7 when you can buy a 128Gb microSD from Amazon for a fifth of that price.

They can do all these things because we will blindly buy their latest and greatest products even though there was nothing wrong with the old one. If you buy an iPhone7 then you are giving tacit agreement that $200 AirPods (crap name btw) are the best idea since sliced bread, which of course they're not.

Phones (and tablets & media players) without user replaceable batteries are something else we've bought into without being given a choice, which deems them to be a disposable item when it truth they should never be. 

Apple make nice products but their philosophy pongs.

What?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 07:28
Also by making the battery inconvenient to remove they prevent you from turning your phone off so the NSA can monitor you all the time.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 09:25
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

They can do all these things because we will blindly buy their latest and greatest products even though there was nothing wrong with the old one.

I won't - I'm quite happy with my cheap and nasty Android phone. It gives me hours of fun when people visit my house and they first thing they ask is "have you got an iPhone charger" and I say "no" and they don't understand why. LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 10:19
......and people complain about multiple album reissues.......sheesh!

I have never owned an iPhone, never will.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 10:57
I have owned all iPhones since the 3GS. This is the first one I'm going to skip. I don't like the jack removal. Next year's 8 will be different enough to warrant that sacrifice, but not this year's. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 11:27
Shocked 

... Okay, who the hell are you and what have you done with Teo?  Angry
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 11:42
I get mine as a company perk.

Can't argue with free.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 12:16
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

I get mine as a company perk.

Can't argue with free.
Same here - this time around we were given the choice of a new iPhone6s or Samsung S7 Edge, however iChose to stick with my old iPhone5somethingorother simply because iT iSn't broken and iPrefer the smaller size of the iPhone5somethingorother. Free or not, iGo for what suits me rather than the latest and greatest.

My pleasure here iS not as an Apple user even though iHave an iPhone and an iPad, nothing makes me smile more than seeing Appleists iN a flat-spin so the temptation to taunt them further iS iMpossible to resist. Evil Smile

So, as iSaid, iHave an iPhone5somethingorother - iCan't say iLike iT and iCan't say iDon't, iT's just a tool iUse that will never replace my computer, camera, sat-nav or media-player because despite of all those smart Application things that iT iS capable of doing, iTs only really practical reason for being iS as a ruddy telephone. Let's get real here, headphone jack or not (and that's something my Philips C12 telephone never had anyway so why iS everyone getting bent out of shape because the iPhone7 doesn't have one?), iT's just a ruddy phone and iF iT didn't work as a phone you probably wouldn't buy one. iCan't recall the last time iPlugged anything iNto the 3.5mm jack on any telephone, even when iOwned a Nokia 5800music that was supposed to be purposely designed to be a media-player.

What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 15:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Shocked 

... Okay, who the hell are you and what have you done with Teo?  Angry

I did with him what Apple did with the headphone jack in their iPhones.... Evil Smile

Oh by the way, it's called "courage". Dead
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 16:57
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Oh by the way, it's called "courage". Dead
Yeah, I saw that and thought it quite amusing. 

If everything goes according to plan the iPhone8 will be screenless with all screen functions being transferred over to the iWatch (which will be improved by having a much larger screen so that the hipster-pro version will now sport a 135mm screen and a unique double strap that some media pundits are predicting will be called the iGauntlet while others believe it will be called the iSleeve). Then it is believed that the lightning connector will be dropped on the iPhone 9 in favour of a permanently tethered curly lead because the battery drain due to all the bluetooth and other wireless connections will be so high it has to be continuously on charge. Finally Apple have got this great idea for entering numbers called aDial that will be introduced on the next model and for convenience the aDial will be located in the charger-base, this new model will of course be called the iPhoneX as Apple have an aversion to the number 10 and it is expected that this will retail for something in the region of $999. This will be superseded six months later by a newer model which won't look any different to the iPhoneX and won't have any more (or surprisingly any fewer) features but will be made of a special material that Apple are working on that is made from laminations of compressed paper bonded with melamine so that it resembles natural mica, Apple will be dubbing this wonder material "4mica". Due to how this material is made initial iPhoneY models will only be available in one colour that they are calling oNaturel.

Here is a sneak peek artists representation of what the iPhoneY may look-like :
(curly lead not show for clarity and it was quite hard to draw so the artist decided not to bother trying, he also couldn't count so the iPhoneY can only dial numbers that contain the digits 0 to 5 - to facilitate this all western numbers will be renumbered to contain only those digits and all numbers containing digits 6 to 9 will be transferred over to China and Northern England, who will clone their own version of the iPhoneY called the Y-uPhone and the Y-iPhoneU respectively)
What?
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 20:38
I have never owned a mobile phone.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 00:09
I never seen the Sound of Music
What?
Luna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 00:17
Have you heard it?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 01:27
Sadly, yes, which is one of the reasons why I've never seen it.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 08:09
This thread ties neatly into the pre-agricultural days one ... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>