Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWould the world be better off without Banjo's?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Would the world be better off without Banjo's?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [27.50%]
29 [72.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 08:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I dislike all resonator and drone instruments, of which the banjo is the worse since it combines both in one wholly disagreeable instrument. The only thing in its favour is that most of it's combustible, which is more than can be said of its b'stard-cousin the resonator guitar. Banjos just encourage people to do that horrible nasal-twang 'singing' (I use the word under duress) and that has to be stopped. 

Our opinions differ greatly here. So, naturally, I will post a Rory Gallagher video that will surely annoy you, but which many people might consider a great use of a resonator guitar.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 08:42
...oh dear, resonator plus bottleneck... not that I'll ever be enticed to press play on that video at least I hope that Rory has spared me the accompanying nasal 'singing' that would pile insult on top of injury.  LOL
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 09:08

...oh dear, resonator plus bottleneck... not that I'll ever be enticed to press play on that video at least I hope that Rory has spared me the accompanying nasal 'singing' that would pile insult on top of injury.  LOL

If it's one thing that can't be applied to Rory, it would be "nasal singing". I don't believe that was in his repertoire. A great jam, though. You should listen, Dean, and expand your cramped horizons.Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 09:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

If it's one thing that can't be applied to Rory, it would be "nasal singing". I don't believe that was in his repertoire. A great jam, though. You should listen, Dean, and expand your cramped horizons.Wink
That's like encouraging me to broaden my already catholic tastes by listening to the sound of a metal comb being scraped across a window pane while several cats are mating in an alleyway. I can just about cope with Mr Jeffery Beck strangling a Fender with a bottleneck and get twitchy when Mr David Gilmour reaches for his lap steel guitar but I doubt my frayed nerves could endure the otherwise excellent Mr Rory Gallagher applying said implement of torture to a guitar mutation that already sets my teeth on edge (however well played). Cry

Each to his own and all, but I'll decline the invite. 

Edited by Dean - October 01 2016 at 09:38
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 09:58

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

That's like encouraging me to broaden my already catholic tastes by listening to the sound of a metal comb being scraped across a window pane while several cats are mating in an alleyway. I can just about cope with Mr Jeffery Beck strangling a Fender with a bottleneck and get twitchy when Mr David Gilmour reaches for his lap steel guitar but I doubt my frayed nerves could endure the otherwise excellent Mr Rory Gallagher applying said implement of torture to a guitar mutation that already sets my teeth on edge (however well played). Cry

Each to his own and all, but I'll decline the invite. 

Slide guitar too? No Allman Brothers or Johnny Winter? Ah well, I won't belabor the point as we are at opposite poles here.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:01
Please no more Accordions, I'm still trying to get over the last one- Unless..... you have some more mutilation of Prog Classics, which is always fun................Embarrassed

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 01 2016 at 17:03
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 02:01
Accordions are fine, too:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 05:48
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Did you check out Aqualung on Accordion a page back ......................??
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:30
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Yes, I did.

And I LOVED it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:35

Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Yes, I did.

And I LOVED it!

Glad it tickled your fancy.................

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 03 2016 at 01:37
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 12:00

Enough banjo bashing! Feel free to stomp some accordions.
Witchwood: Dave Cousins-banjo and voice, Rick Wakeman-keys, Toby Hooper-guitar, Richard Hudson-drums, John Ford -bass.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 03:46
Let's look at this from the perspective of condiments, herbs and spices. None of these are "food", they will not sustain us but they enhance the flavour of food and make it more palatable. So starting with the basic condiment of salt - everyone is born with a need for salt and as a condiment everyone is comfortable with the idea that not only is it a necessity in life, the flavour of food is enhanced by using just the right amount of it, to each of us salt tastes the same - it tastes salty - and our sense of taste is geared to determining the optimum quantity to meet our needs without spoiling the flavour of the food. So then consider chilli peppers - these affect all of us in pretty much the same way, taste-wise they all taste the same but with varying degrees of heat and people born into cultures where chillies are widely used can take more heat than those who are not, yet over time those who are not can build up a tolerance to the heat and can "learn" to like chillies - and with that we all reach our own comfort-level where we know we can go further but choose not to. Now take coriander - by comparison to salt and chilli this is an innocuous herb that does nothing but change the flavour of food and there are those who like it and those who don't, and some of those who do think there has yet to be a dish created that cannot be improved by the use of this flat leaved herb while there are some who don't who feel that one measly leaf is enough to taint an entire cooking pot. Now unlike salt and chilli, coriander tastes differently to different people - some find its flavour to be repugnant and this is not a cultural thing or an exposure thing, it's not something that they can grow to like because the taste will never change and this is a genetic trait that some people are born with. I am unable to describe the flavour of coriander in a positive way because I have no idea how it tastes to people who like it - some say it has a lemony fragrance but that's a foreign concept to me because its bitter sourness is nothing like any lemon I've ever tasted. Conversely, people who love coriander have no concept of how it tastes to those who don't.

For me the banjo, resonator geeetars, accordion, concertina, bagpipes and nasal twangery are not like salt that my music needs to enhance its flavour, nor are they like chilli that I can learn to tolerate and indeed love, they are coriander to my tastes. I grew up in a household where music made using these instruments was commonplace - from C&W to folk of all varieties including Bluegrass, Celtic and Hawaiian music. I couldn't even begin to tell you the number of hours I spent in folk clubs as a kid listening to guys with beards singing songs with their hands cupping their ears while playing folk tunes on acoustic guitars, fiddle and upright bass and I loved it, but as soon as someone stepped on stage with banjo or squeezebox my heart would sink. So no amount of exposure to these instruments will make me like them and even the sweetest piece of music played by the most expert musicians in the world will be rendered unpalatable by their use. 

Bottleneck and Slide guitar? That's chilli to me - thanks to Messrs Beck and Gilmour I have developed an appreciation level beyond which I shall not go, anything else is just a pain in the bum. Smile

Edited by Dean - October 04 2016 at 03:54
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 04:07
^So much for variety being the spice of life. Bless those with an eclectic palate, both musical and culinary.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 04:43
^ or not - the problem with analogies is they only work up to a point - and with eclectic tastes the end result can be indiscernible from having none at all. Wink

However, in the interests of harmony here's a taste of 1969 you may appreciate:

Edited by Dean - October 04 2016 at 04:46
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 08:23
Thumbs Up
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123