Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBarclay James Harvest appreciation thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 17:52
Glad to see a BJH appreciation thread.  I adore Octoberon and Turn of the Tide - they are definitely both in my top 100, must-own albums list.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 02:15
Only the songs 'She Said' and 'Ra' mean anything to me. I've tried many albums of theirs over the years, but only hung on to Octoberon and Once Again. Mediocre for me.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 15:18
Has anyone heard the BJH 1972 harvest single released under the pseudonym of 'Bombadil'?? I think they were trying to re-coup some money after a tour with the orchestra nearly bankrupted them. Its an instrumental with a early 70's UK pop beat like the 'Glitter band' Hand clap/ foot stomp beat!! The 'B' side is a very nice little Woolly Wolstenholme song called 'When the city sleeps'.. I lost interest when Woolly left and re- kindled my interest an enthusiasm when he and John Lees fired up JLBJH. Woolly's sad death was a real shock and he is still very much missed by his fans.

grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 11:31
child of the universe best song ever !!!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 12:37
I think the first 7 or 8 are all pretty good but I don't really have a favorite...but the first two are the ones I seem to play the most.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 19:12
For some reason I've always been fascinated with the whole BJH imagery - their vinyls' artwork, their photos - but never gave a chance to their music, until this spring. I started from the debut and worked my way up their discography, eventually giving up on 1990's "Welcome to the Show". Those 80s albums are very, very bad, perfectly showing what was wrong with the music business in the 80s and particulary the hardships 70s bands faced trying to adapt to the new sound, the synth era, the MTV decade ("Invisible Touch" anyone? Maybe "Big Generator"?).

As for their earlier stuff - some solid hits here and there ("For No One", "Mocking Bird", "She Said", "Dark Now My Sky", "Ra", etc), but not a single whole album I would recommend...They all overfilled with very samey, comfort-zone, ear-pleasing, major-scale pop-folk tunes, sometimes impossible to tell one from another - that's why things like "For No One" stand out.

For newbies - go with "Live" (1974), it's basically the-best-of played live - and boy playing live they could! Also there's a noticeable level of energy, sadly missing from the sanitized studio recordings, so yeah, begin with "Live"...and maybe stop there.

I'd love to find some more pastoral, Mellotron-heavy prog from that era, but not as tame and senile as BJH or Moodies - more like Crimso ballads or Comus epics
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 00:03
I really appreciate this thread. I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't even heard of this band until well.. seeing this thread lol. But the last couple days I've been listening to them a lot and I REALLY like it. The soft rock/easy listening sound that they have is just right up my alley. So yeah, thanks again for turning me on to this band. I'm discovering a lot of good stuff since joining this forum. 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 03:54
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

I'd love to find some more pastoral, Mellotron-heavy prog from that era, but not as tame and senile as BJH or Moodies - more like Crimso ballads or Comus epics

Try Cressida. They mad two fairly nice albums. A bit jazzy, a bit folky, but pastoral.

For harder edged mellotron bands, try the newer bands like Anekdoten and My Brother the Wind.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 04:02
Hmmm. I typed a nice piece to recommend albums, but the forum thinks I'm a robot, and I can't post my reply :(
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 04:04
I play all their albums, but Ring of Changes upto River of Dreams almost never.
My last favorite album is Turn of the Tide.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 05:25

For some reason I've always been fascinated with the whole BJH imagery - their vinyls' artwork, their photos - but never gave a chance to their music, until this spring. I started from the debut and worked my way up their discography, eventually giving up on 1990's "Welcome to the Show". Those 80s albums are very, very bad, perfectly showing what was wrong with the music business in the 80s and particulary the hardships 70s bands faced trying to adapt to the new sound, the synth era, the MTV decade ("Invisible Touch" anyone? Maybe "Big Generator"?).

As for their earlier stuff - some solid hits here and there ("For No One", "Mocking Bird", "She Said", "Dark Now My Sky", "Ra", etc), but not a single whole album I would recommend...They all overfilled with very samey, comfort-zone, ear-pleasing, major-scale pop-folk tunes, sometimes impossible to tell one from another - that's why things like "For No One" stand out.

For newbies - go with "Live" (1974), it's basically the-best-of played live - and boy playing live they could! Also there's a noticeable level of energy, sadly missing from the sanitized studio recordings, so yeah, begin with "Live"...and maybe stop there.

I know BJH pretty much since I got into music and I liked them a lot in the beginning, so my story with them is very different... but these days what you write is very precisely what I think about them, pretty much down to the specific songs mentioned.
The only addition is that the "Live"-version of Medicine Man is my favourite by them now.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 08:49
A real nice 'n' comfy band. So far I've only heard Everyone is Everybody Else and Time Honoured Ghosts. The latter is my favourite of the two.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 09:19

you could try Strawbs, particularly "Grave New World".  Very mellotron heavy but with more edge than BJH yet paradoxially more folkie
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 15:28
Don't know much about them to be honest apart from the obvious famous songs. However I did see John Lees BJH at The New Day festival last week and they were excellent. I didn't expect to enjoy them so much and I wasn't even tanked up on booze!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2017 at 15:08
Ive seen John Lees BJH a dozen or so times in the last few years and really enjoyed all of 'em. It just feels weird that the last time I saw them before was in 1981/82 on the 'turn of the tide' tour which was so big and slick and before that, one of my first ever gigs was on the XII tour in 1979 in Bristol (the last tour with Woolly on keyboards).

the 1974 Live is a great introduction to the band, particularly if you are looking for the 'heavier' side of the band. If you are looking for a 'truly blistering' version of Medicine man then the version which was on the 1978 live 'Rock n roll star' ep (which was then on 1978's Live Tapes) but the version of medicine man recorded on that tour was used to back this 33rpm 7inch.. I don't know if its been released as an extra on a recent re-issue or available on YouTube but if you can find it, its well worth the listen!!

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 00:18
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

[...] If you are looking for a 'truly blistering' version of Medicine man then the version which was on the 1978 live 'Rock n roll star' ep (which was then on 1978's Live Tapes) but the version of medicine man recorded on that tour was used to back this 33rpm 7inch.. I don't know if its been released as an extra on a recent re-issue or available on YouTube but if you can find it, its well worth the listen!!

It's on the remastered version of Live Tapes, and it's a bonustrack on the remastered version of Gone to Earth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 15:16
Great, many thanks! I did look on the JLBJH site an saw the track listings on the re-mastered versions.. i'm still living in the vinyl days and am a bit behind the times!

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 02:28
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Try Cressida. They mad two fairly nice albums. A bit jazzy, a bit folky, but pastoral.

For harder edged mellotron bands, try the newer bands like Anekdoten and My Brother the Wind.

thanks, I love these and been loving their stuff for years already)
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I know BJH pretty much since I got into music and I liked them a lot in the beginning, so my story with them is very different... but these days what you write is very precisely what I think about them, pretty much down to the specific songs mentioned.
The only addition is that the "Live"-version of Medicine Man is my favourite by them now.

Yes! Forgot to mention that I too prefer live version of this legendary song of theirs
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

you could try Strawbs, particularly "Grave New World".  Very mellotron heavy but with more edge than BJH yet paradoxially more folkie

thanks, I will!
hegelec View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 00:51
My favourite BJH story is when they had to cut their set short at a gig they were playing with Comus because of a power outage. So Comus came out again and saved the gig with an impromptu acoustic set, which they could do being a 90% acoustic act anyway. Apparently BJH were so embarrassed about the incident (and by being totally, utterly upstaged by their supporting act) that they flat out refused to play with Comus ever again.

tl;dr Comus rules ... hard.
Cheers!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 03:46
Esoteric Recordings released 3-CD versions of their most important albums:

Everyone is Everybody Else
Octoberon
Gone to Earth
XII

And although these have been re-released a million times, and a three-cd version of the same album is a bit much, I must say that the new stereo-remixes are all worth a listen.

I am now (with headphones) listening to Octoberon, and the stereo-remix reveals so much, I haven't heard before. The choir-section of May-Day is so much more beautiful and brings chills down my spine.
Edit: Ra is even more impressive and warm. wow!

I have XII and Octoberon, so I will get a hold of Everyone is Everybody Else and Gone to Earth next.

I wonder why they didn;t re-release Time Honoured Ghosts.
Anyway, I wonder what your thoughts are on the re-releases.

More info:
http://www.esotericrecordings.com/discography-shop-b.html

Edited by Kingsnake - March 02 2018 at 03:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>