Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFinnish Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finnish Prog
    Posted: September 12 2016 at 11:08
I really like a lot of Finnish Prog, both modern and older, but I feel that I don't have enough artists.

I really like Kingston Wall, Pekka Pohjola, and Sammal (modern), as quick examples.

I am looking for any similar Finnish artists, but especially maybe a little darker, more mysterious and less upbeat. But I am interested in happier, more upbeat music if it is along these lines.

And, if they're not Finnish, that is fine too. I just really like the sound of Finnish Prog. It seems different to me, so Finnish would be preferred if possible. Also, more obscure artists are also appreciated, but then again I am already being pretty specific.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Xiadz - September 12 2016 at 11:09
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 11:19
Alamaailman Vasarat
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 11:39
Same! I am starting to explore amazing things the nation has produced. My favorite is Fairyport from Wigwam. Amazing blend of jazz, rock, and great sense of humor with really original results. Jukka Tolononen's first solo work Tolononen! is also amazing in my opinion. Finnforest is great (both the band and the fellow reviewer). Tasavallan Presidenti. I'm sure there are tons more.

If you are into electronic music a la Cluster or early Tangerine Dream (first two albums) I really recommend the band Sperm. Pekka Airaksinen of this very group produced some amazing albums.

The member Matti is releasing a book about Finnish prog soon, I think. If he doesn't show up here, make sure to PM him.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 11:41
I recommend Tenhi.
Very downbeat and mysterious prog folk
I reviewed a few of their albums
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 11:55
Sperm is great.

Alamaailman Vasarat is, I think, very different from the ones you listed, but if you are into such stuff, then my fave is Hoyry-Kone. That said, the only one in the initial list I know reasonably well is Pekka Pohjola.

In modern Finnish jazz fusion Prog I like Astro Can Caravan's Questral Places. In classics, Finnforest is good, and Haikara is very good, different, and adventurous (not really dark).

Just a fanboy passin' through.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 12:03

Of all Finish prog, Hoyry Kone stands out above the rest. Of course I don’t have a lot of prog from Finland, but if I had, Hoyry Kone would still stand out. 

I hope someone proves me wrong.  That would make my day…

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 12:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

and Haikara is very good, different, and adventurous (not really dark).

Love Haikara's two first albums and just discovered Woodoo - it's like the world fusion (but still prog) version of Haikara. Check out these two live clips (the second a little further down on the page) from Finnish television here.

Infectious & fun stuff I think and the studio versions are phenomenal. 

Their only album from 1971:

also Piirpauke (again primarely their two first albums)
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 12:59
Haikara is the most original Finnish band of all time because they sing in FINNISH. 

Piirpauke is the most original as well, alongside Haikara in Finnish Prog because they don´t try to copy anyone.
Their 2 first albums from 1975 and 1976 are masterpieces second to none.

Pekka Pohjola´s 3 first albums are excellent, at least, and "Harakka Bialoipokku", 1974 is another masterpiece in Finnish Prog and is his finest work. No wonder Frank Zappa wanted him to join his band. Pohjola politely refused. Luckily.

Tasavallan Presidentti and Wigwam had both an Englishman on lead vocals and I never really took them seriously as true Finnish bands. It took them as English (speaking) bands really. I like some Presidentti but never was excited about Wigwam, maybe because I just coudn´t stand Jim Pembroke´s voice. Otherwise they were quite good.

Personally I´m not excited about new Finnish bands/artists.

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - September 12 2016 at 13:04
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:01
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Haikara is the most original Finnish band of all time because they sing in FINNISH. 

Piirpauke is the most original as well, alongside Haikara in Finnish Prog because they don´t try to copy anyone.
Their 2 first albums from 1975 and 1976 are masterpieces second to none.

Pekka Pohjola´s 3 first albums are excellent, at least, and "Harakka Bialoipokku", 1974 is another masterpiece in Finnish Prog and is his finest work. No wonder Frank Zappa wanted him to join his band. Pohjola politely refused. Luckily.

Tasavallan Presidentti and Wigwam had both an Englishman on lead vocals and I never really took them seriously as true Finnish bands. It took them as English (speaking) bands really. I like some Presidentti but never was excited about Wigwam, maybe because I just coudn´t stand Jim Pembroke´s voice. Otherwise they were quite good.

Personally I´m not excited about new Finnish bands/artists.

Very much agree with you on Haikara, Piirpauke and Pekka Pohjola - Harakka Bialoipokku especially is unbelievably great.

From Tasavallan Presidentti at least Lambertland is a classic album.

Also from the seventies, I'm a huge fan of Jukka Gustavson's first solo album, Yksin yhdessä...jaloa ylpeyttä yletän...ylevää nöyryyttä nousen.  Wonderful big band jazz rock.

Of more recent bands I'm also a fan of Hoyry Kone and Alamaailman Vasarat, who were mentioned above. And I really like this album by Kauhukakara:

Edited by Mascodagama - September 12 2016 at 15:42
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:05
How about some Von Hertzen Brothers?
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:06
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Jukka Tolononen's first solo work Tolononen! is also amazing in my opinion. 

I only know a few of Tolonen's solo records, but I think Summer Games is also superb.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:07
Magyar Posse

Edited by zravkapt - September 12 2016 at 15:08
Magma America Great Make Again
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:10
Also highly worth checking out are the Pop Liisa and Jazz Liisa series currently being put out by Svart Records - archival releases of live recordings from the early seventies made by Finnish radio station YLE.  I've only got a couple of these so far, but they are great.

Edited by Mascodagama - September 12 2016 at 15:16
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:36

Two bands that stood out for me are Hexvessel and Hidria Spacefolk

(on the metal side Nauticus and Sisare are worth checking)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 15:50
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Magyar Posse

and stupid old Mick thought they were Hungarian LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 16:54
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Magyar Posse

I like this!!   Big smile
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 17:13

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 00:06
It's great to see that Finnish prog interests international audience! There are already many good recommendations above. I'd like to add few names from this Millennium:

UZVA. Three studio albums of instrumental, organic prog with lots of acoustic nuances and some Pekka Pohjola resemblance. One-timer INNER LIGHT ORCHESTRA recommended too.
KHATSATURJAN. Energetic prog with English vocals. Classical music elements and spirit comparable to Queen and 10cc.
KATAYA. Two studio albums of melodic, atmospheric and cinematic instrumental lite-prog with influences from Pink Floyd. One-timer KUDOS very similar.
ORNE. Dark-toned, atmospheric (comparable to above mentioned Hexvessel).
DISCORDIA and JEAVESTONE: Highly eclectic and energetic prog with English vocals. The latter uses the term prog'n'roll!
CONTEMPORARY DEAD FINNISH MUSIC ENSEMBLE. Eclectic, ambitious (especially Dark Matters).
OVERHEAD. Earlier albums more Neo-ish, later on they increased the metal flavour.

In addition to above mentioned Hidria Spacefolk, MOONWAGON, TAIPUVA LUOTISUORA and DASPUTNIK are good Space Rock bands.

If Finnish lyrics aren't a problem, these are very nice, vocal-oriented acts with female vocalist: KURKI, ART DECO, OKTOPLUS. sadly only one album each. And PUNAISEN KUNINGATTAREN PERIAATE (the second album much better).
VIIMA. Folky prog in Finnish, the debut with female vocals (the same as in KOSMOS), 2nd with male vocals.
PAIDARION. Female vocals (debut in Finnish, 2nd and upcoming 3rd albums in English), melodic, both Neo and Fusion flavour.
MALADY was greeted warmly for their hazy, very 70's-like Fenno-prog. Male vocals in Finnish.

For those who enjoy Fusion: e.g. UTOPIANISTI and KUMINA.ORG have a wonderful musical joy. MIST SEASON is more serene and romantic. And JUKKA GUSTAVSON has made excellent albums in this Millennium too.

Of course I could go on and on (having just made an entire book on Finnish prog), but hopefully this list is useful!

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 04:31
I'll start out by seconding the Astro Can Caravan, Uzva, Haikara, WigWam, Pekka, Jukka, Sperm and Tasavallan Presidentti recs. Lots to love right there.
I haven't seen Sinaii mentioned yet, which is a young act sounding parcularly inspired by the late almost post-punk sounding Krautrock a la L.A. Düsseldorf. Their debut Olympic Games is a very nice starting point imo. Has this trumpeteering sound emanating from the synths that really do mirror the old Olympic starting fanfare incredibly well.
Another one I haven't seen mentioned is Esa Kotilainen's Ajatuslapi - a brilliant and highly original electronic album. Something like a sonic sand maze purveyed in sound. Impossible to describe.
Oh my...I almost forgot about last year's finest psychedelic offering ie Circle's Pharao Overlord. Gotta love that Indian seance feel of it spliced up with the most alluring booms from Mordor's deepest and darkest bass trombone.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 04:57
Heh...I forgot a few things in particular the more recent discoveries of mine.
One of those are Utopianisti who continue the adventurous big band stylings of Astro Can Caravan yet with a touch of something akin to fusion in the vein of mid era Soft Machine and other such Canterburian tomfoolery.
From 2016, and perhaps one of the most surprising discovery for your's truly, we have Oranssi Pazuzu's just as gibberish sounding album Värähtelija. Beautifully airy and swampy psychedelic tinged black metal for people who absolutely can't stand black metal.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>