Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camel appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 06:29
To me Camel is not the biggest personal favourite, but anyway like quite much the Snow Goose.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 07:20
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Camel is currently touring Europe (at least two dates in the Netherlands - Utrecht and Den Haag).

In live in Den Haag (The Hague) and I am about to see them in a venue called De Paard, coming tuesday.
I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I'm so excited. I have never been so excited to see a band play live (maybe only My Brightest Diamond, because I have crush on her and Saga, because well it's my favorite band).

But Camel is one of top5 favorite bands and they play Moonmadness in it's entirety, wich is such a great album.
I heard the touring band consists of Andy, Colin, Denis Clement and Pete Jones.

Also Andy has a hernia and his health is not all that great, wich means he will site down during the concert. I think it's very sympathetic that he continues the tour for the fans. Such a great guy, and I wish him the best and I hope he doesn't have too much pain.

I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday (that was my 2nd time seeing them) and I can assure you that you're in for a treat! And, yes, Andy was sitting on an armchair for the whole gig but he did perform great on the guitar and flute! And Colin was in a great shape too! I also really liked that blind keyboardist/vocalist/saxophonist that was with them (can't recall his name).

This is what Andy said about his illness: "Some of You noticed I'm sitting. It's the first time in 50 years. I had an accident in Japan, then I had an accident in Turkey, then I had a accident in Israel... But I am here anyway!" and the audience cheered him.

And today I'm going to see... Yes (feat ARW) + SBB!
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 08:30
Camel are a pretty good band, but I never could get completely onboard with them. Moonmadness continues to be the album that impressed me the most and it’s also the most consistent. When Peter Bardens left, I pretty much stopped listening as I felt that Bardens was a major component in the band’s songwriting.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 03 2018 at 08:30
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 11:13
Favourite band of all time!...........Smile
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 11:29
Peter Bardens' organ work and songwriting was great combined with Andy.

But Bardend did a lot of stuff after Camel, wich is not very interesting. So it's more the sum of the parts I guess.

But Andy continued to gather great musicians and songwriters around him, and there are some really great albums in the seventies (Raindances), eighties (Nude and Stationairy Traveller), nineties (Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears, Rajaz) and present day (Nod and a Wink).

So to write Camel of after the departure of Bardens, is not a smart move, if you want to discover great progrockmusic :D
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 11:31
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Camel is currently touring Europe (at least two dates in the Netherlands - Utrecht and Den Haag).

In live in Den Haag (The Hague) and I am about to see them in a venue called De Paard, coming tuesday.
I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I'm so excited. I have never been so excited to see a band play live (maybe only My Brightest Diamond, because I have crush on her and Saga, because well it's my favorite band).

But Camel is one of top5 favorite bands and they play Moonmadness in it's entirety, wich is such a great album.
I heard the touring band consists of Andy, Colin, Denis Clement and Pete Jones.

Also Andy has a hernia and his health is not all that great, wich means he will site down during the concert. I think it's very sympathetic that he continues the tour for the fans. Such a great guy, and I wish him the best and I hope he doesn't have too much pain.

I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday (that was my 2nd time seeing them) and I can assure you that you're in for a treat! And, yes, Andy was sitting on an armchair for the whole gig but he did perform great on the guitar and flute! And Colin was in a great shape too! I also really liked that blind keyboardist/vocalist/saxophonist that was with them (can't recall his name).

This is what Andy said about his illness: "Some of You noticed I'm sitting. It's the first time in 50 years. I had an accident in Japan, then I had an accident in Turkey, then I had a accident in Israel... But I am here anyway!" and the audience cheered him.

And today I'm going to see... Yes (feat ARW) + SBB!

I don't go to concerts much (personals reasons, no need to elaborate), but now that I have the opportunity, i bought a ticket for Camel, Gov't Mule and Fish for this year to come. Let's see what 2018 brings us.

But first Camel, and the 6th is my birthday, so it's going to be exxxxxtra special. :D
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:02

Peter Bardens' organ work and songwriting was great combined with Andy.

But Bardend did a lot of stuff after Camel, wich is not very interesting. So it's more the sum of the parts I guess.

But Andy continued to gather great musicians and songwriters around him, and there are some really great albums in the seventies (Raindances), eighties (Nude and Stationairy Traveller), nineties (Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears, Rajaz) and present day (Nod and a Wink).

So to write Camel of after the departure of Bardens, is not a smart move, if you want to discover great progrockmusic :D

I agree 100%    Thumbs Up
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:28
I read on a lot of websites that even play a new song entitled Dingley Dell.
So maybe there's going to be a new album aswell in the future.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 13:58

I read on a lot of websites that even play a new song entitled Dingley Dell.
So maybe there's going to be a new album aswell in the future.

I hope so.   Really love Peter Jone's work.   Would love to see him on a Camel album.  
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 15:00

I just saw them here in Warsaw yesterday

been there, blown away

some vids - 1, 2 and of course "Ice", which made me cry <3
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 12:52
Only one day away.

I noticed that I havent listened to Dust and Dreams and Harbour of Tears a lot, so I listened to those two today, to get in the mood.

I will listen to Moonmadness all day tomorrow. Or maybe that's overkill.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 12:55
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

been there, blown away

I have that to. That music makes me cry. I can get very emotional of beautiful music. 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 12:58
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

been there, blown away

Hah! It's a pity I didn't know. I live nearby the club BTW.

Did You also go to see Yes and SBB the next day? That was also a great gig! Clap
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 13:07
I have a ticket for London in September. Looking very forward to it. I saw Camel twice in the eighties and once in the nineties and I loved all their shows. There's a warmth in their music and their live performance that makes them very special on stage.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 14:24
Help!!!
I really like Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness but nothing else has sounded all that great to me.
Nude is too 80's and Breathless has one good song.
What am I missing here? I know I should love Camel.
Why don't I?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 14:32
^ Go backwards - start with "A Nod and A Wink" and I'm pretty sure you will see the LIGHT
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 15:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Help!!!
I really like Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness but nothing else has sounded all that great to me.
Why don't I?

You havent even tried Raindances and the debutalbum?

And you can only find 1 good song on Breathless. Most people find at least 3 or 4 great songs on that album.

And what exactly does Nude sound too 80's? The sterile production? Or some synths by Duncan McKay. Because if so, stay away from I Can See Your House from Here and Stationairy Traveller. They have the most synths of all Camel albums.

Rayaz and Nod and a Wink are more back-to-basics albums.
But Harbour of Tears and Dust and Dreams are great too, more celtic/folkish influenced.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 16:07
Looking forward to seeing Camel this Autumn in Newcastle - especially with Moonmadness getting played in its entirety. I also lost some interest in them after Raindances, but in recent years I've revisited those later albums and enjoyed them - including Nude and Stationary Traveller. Maybe not up to their classic 70s period - but still pretty good stuff to be found if you give it time.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 19:34
Highly underrated they were and are...I love many things of Camel, Moonmadness is the best for me followed by Mirage. Rajaz is my other favorite. On the songs, not in particular order but Lunar sea, Chord change, Song within a song and Airborn, are all killers, Lady Fantasy and Nimrodel too, Ice, Sahara, Shout, and of course For today, a masterpiece too. Amazing band.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 20:36
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Help!!!
Why don't I?

I have a similar problem to you... I really love their music with the original line-up, but once they started changing their personell they sort of lost their touch, for what I have gotten to hear from them. For what it's worth, I do love many of the versions of songs with the second line-up on "A Live Record" (Mel Collins does some really cool stuff there). After Moonmadness, the only songs I have heard I liked are "Ice", "Sasquatch", and "Stationary Traveller". I guess my next step to get to know a little bit more from them would be to get the later years better rated albums: "Rajaz" and the live "Coming of Age". But I wouldn't worry too much if I don't find more to love from the band, I already got plenty of music to enjoy from them, and I have no obligation with anybody to like anything more.

Edited by Dellinger - June 04 2018 at 20:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>