Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camel appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 12:13
I went back and listened today to Rain Dances, which I hadn't done in a long time, and boy what a great pleasure - an album from '77 so fresh and stimulating !!!!

The jazzy parts are a treat, Sinclair on the bass - Andy himself plays fretless on one track - and the whole dynamic is fabulous.

(What I find specially rewarding on any and every album is the general feeling of happiness and optimism the music conveys, even when intense and moving as frequently is)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 13:02
Solid band.....like the first 5 up to and including Rain Dances.
After that it's hit or miss for me....I picked up Breathless, I Can See..., and Nude on original vinyl recently but they really didn't do a lot for me...they are ok but nothing special. Saw Single Factor and Stationary Traveler also...not sure if I want to spend the $20 for them both.
Can any Camel fans talk about the later ones ans which are worth getting...? And that includes the new ones from the 90's.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 15:32
^
No hesitation whatsoever - grab them four including A Nod And a Wink from 2002 - each has a different feel but all are so precious and delicate, true masterpieces to my ears and soul
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 01:00
A Nod and a Wink is pure symphonic prog with a romantic/pastoral feel, can't go wrong there.

Rajaz is more showboating for the guitarskills of Andy. It has some middle-eastern flavours aswell.

Harbour of Tears has irish/folkish influences. Also a very special album. But I would recommend the live-version of the full album, wich can be found on the double live-album Coming of Age.

But again: A Nod and a Wink is a sure thing. All the songs are strong, epic and symphonic.
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 01:35
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Colin Bass and Doug Ferguson (but also David Patton) are more basic players, but that is also important. But don't be fooled; even basic playing can be very difficult.

I think Doug played really well with Ward, all of the rhythm work on Snow Goose and Moon Madness is very accurate and very much in time. Doug can get a bit funky like on “Six Ate”. Any bass player next to Sinclair is a unfair comparison though...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456