FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnlikely Listeners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 15:34
Great Prog Music!....

Camel, Twelfth Night, Stackridge, Nova, IQ, Pendragon, Renaissance, The Enid, Gryphon, Pallas, Satellite, Riverside, Genesis, Yes, Metamorphosis, ELP, Transatlantic , Greenslade, Colosseum, Also Eden, Sky, Harmonium, Millennium, Tangerine Dream and so many more bands. Smile

crimson_smoog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 17:02
I am 19 years old. Places like Brazil are very strange to like something as progressive rock.
But i can live...

Edited by crimson_smoog - September 15 2016 at 17:03
"The fate of all mankind i see. Is in the hands of fools."
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 17:13
I came to the conclusion that listening to King Crimson, Genesis, Yes and some other major prog acts is not that strange at all for any age, gender, profession etc I am aware of. However, my keen interest in discovering old prog bands from all over the world usually raises some eyebrows, and I should play my favorite Modry Efekt, Omega and Sfinx songs in public more often to gain some attention. LOL
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 20:28
Well I'm a 22 year old female and I've been listening to prog for about 4 years now. Anyways, there does seem to be a stereotype that many prog fans are males. In reality though, prog fans seem to be quite a diverse group that live all around the world, which only reflects the diversity of bands and musicians within prog. You can find just about any type of influence in prog. It is a shame that the stereotype surrounding prog is that of white men (usually English) who sing about fairies and elves when in fact the reality is so different. You can find prog bands and musicians in any country of any ethnic background who sing about everything from relationships, current events, by-gone days, politics, war, environmentalism, fantasy, sci-fi, spirituality, religion, etc.

Honestly, I dont know what it is about prog that interests me so much. I guess it is the individuality. Each group (at least the ones that I loves) seems to have their own unique sound, and the music has depth so I dont get tired of it in two weeks time. LOL Honestly, it just seems to gel with my personality. I have an old soul, I'm interested in many different things, and I like things that are unique/ different, and prog is a perfect fit.

Edited by BunBun - September 15 2016 at 21:13
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 21:16
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

I came to the conclusion that listening to King Crimson, Genesis, Yes and some other major prog acts is not that strange at all for any age, gender, profession etc I am aware of. However, my keen interest in discovering old prog bands from all over the world usually raises some eyebrows, and I should play my favorite Modry Efekt, Omega and Sfinx songs in public more often to gain some attention. LOL

You should, also I just ordered Blue Effect's Boxset, gotta say that I'm excited.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 21:44
I'm not a prog fan as much as I'm a rock/pop fan who enjoys prog rock, especially RPI. 

And I have all the Carpenters albums.  Big smile 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2016 at 22:25
I'm just a poor boy from a poor family
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2016 at 23:18
I'm a geek, I love Kajagoogoo, and Gorguts, Sade and Art Zoyd. Talk about messed-up.......
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2016 at 19:33
I love stoner rock and I don't drink or smoke weed. And I'm 21 so I'e been legal drinking age for almost 3 years.

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - September 19 2016 at 19:33
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 02:46
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

I love stoner rock and I don't drink or smoke weed. And I'm 21 so I'e been legal drinking age for almost 3 years.
Me too, although I'm 22. The music is more than enough to feel stoned LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 03:06
......don't have to be stoned to appreciate music, surely it 'enhances' but doesn't 'better' the music.
.......for years I've assumed all Death-Metal bands were angry dudes coke'd up to the eyeballs in fury.........absolutely NOT the case............... Many of them have had less booze and drugs than many of us 'regular' folks..........
Paranoid_Empire View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2016 at 03:37
See, the problem right there is relating it to a scene. I think prog is just a medium. An expansive medium that could be anything. Therefore I don't think there should be a stereotype. At least not in the way that punk or metal is stereotyped. Certain dress codes, etc. I find all that stuff excessively silly. And I do love death metal too. But scenes are incredibly stupid.

With all that being said. What is the prog stereotype really?
Being from South Africa, I can't say I've come into contact with any stereotype, unless being 60+ counts. I'm 29 years of age, which is young, but I can't say I've ever encountered the whole "Good lord, you listen to prog?!" scenario. It seems rather improbable considering the few people I've met like other forms of music too, making it about a love of music and not about any particular scene.

The only people that do tend to have that reaction are people that are part of some ridiculous scene or don't really listen to music, so to them it seems strange, because most people want to belong to some sort of clique. Just take a looks at the punks and their whole 'non-conformist' conformism.

I might've got slightly side-tracked, but hopefully you get the gist of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12