Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoving Pictures, an overhyped Rush album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving Pictures, an overhyped Rush album?
    Posted: September 22 2016 at 06:54
Do you consider this Rush album overhyped? I understand why is MP their most popular album by far among rock fans. I think the majority of people tend to love the rock music which is radio-friendly, and this is a type of Rush album which became the most accessible to the wide audience and to the people who are not big Rush fans. All tracks except Camera Eye and YYZ(IMO the best off the album) can be, in fact, radio songs and that makes this album so different to other Rush albums from 70s. 
This album is great and for sure, one of the best rock albums of the 80's, which is not a very good decade of rock music. But I always find a song Tom Sawyer very overrated. IMO in terms of musical proficiency I can think of at least 15 Rush songs better than this one. Also I prefer songs 2112, La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu, Natural Science, Jacob's Ladder and Necromancer over any song from Moving Pictures, and I think these songs are musically deeper and have more quality.  
Also I think Rush lost their prog rock feature on this album. Neil Peart absolutely had the musical show on MP, his work is so noticeable and outstanding, while Geddy's bass work, except on the instrumental YYZ and Lifeson's guitar work except a solo on Limelight, don't stand out that much. 
What are your opinions?

Edited by TexasKing - September 22 2016 at 06:57
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 07:01
overhyped? No. I think it deserves the fame and appreciation it gets.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 07:04
I don't believe in terms like 'underrated', 'overrated', 'overhyped' etc.
Music is to enjoy and everyone enjoys something different.

I don't enjoy seventies Rush, so I don't listen to it. I do enjoy Presto. For me the best thing Rush ever did.
Really don't care wich album of Rush is considered the best. Everyone should make up their own mind. We are all adults with our own taste, aren't we?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 07:37
Yawn.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 08:15
Rush was, more than any other band, the band that held the prog flag high when the dinosaurs of prog's heyday had fallen into decline and the younger generation (Marillion, IQ, etc.) had not yet entered the scene. 

Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals are the highlights of their career.

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 08:18
Be careful to not forget Saga. They were the bridge from seventies to eighties prog.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 08:30
I would agree that Rush moved into the vacuum exposed by prog's simplification following the punk explosion in the UK.  After having their stuff rammed down my throat for several years, I finally succumbed and bought 'Signals' - which wasn't bad.  From this album, 'Tom Sawyer' is outstanding - I can leave the rest...
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 08:31
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Rush was, more than any other band, the band that held the prog flag high when the dinosaurs of prog's heyday had fallen into decline and the younger generation (Marillion, IQ, etc.) had not yet entered the scene. 

Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals are the highlights of their career.

I don't find nothing PROG about Rush album Signals. It's just new wave-influenced synth-rock album with some songs which have reggae/dub elements. 
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 08:39
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

I don't find nothing PROG about Rush album Signals. It's just new wave-influenced synth-rock album with some songs which have reggae/dub elements. 

Actually that's quite progressive. Progression means moving forward.
Sticking to your old sound is conservative.

I know that a lot of progressive rockers are actually conservative rockers.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:12
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

It seems that you stopped listening after the sixth song. The synths play an important part (as might be exopected from a 1982 release) and there are reggae/dub influences in two songs, but at least Losing It is a prog song, one of the few from the period with 5/8 and 11/8 time signatures.

Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Actually that's quite progressive. Progression means moving forward.
Sticking to your old sound is conservative.

I know that a lot of progressive rockers are actually conservative rockers.

Agreed.

Edited by someone_else - September 22 2016 at 09:13
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:17

There is some truth to this. I think it's partly down to Rush being late-comers to the prog thang themselves. They were doing their prog albums when punk and disco ruled supreme. It took them a couple of years to succumb to the 80s.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:31
There are jokes about how certain things arrive in Canada years after they are popular elsewhere.  Rush, apparently is a truth to this. 

Moving Pictures is probably my favorite album of all time from my favorite band of all time...so yes, I probably "overhype" it.   To a certain extent, MP is an example of "progressive singing" that was once heatedly discussed and crashed and burned with many deaths and hurt feelings.  Geddy has said that Tom Sawyer is really hard to sing because it is a bit of a tongue twister with the different but similar verses.  And Red Barchetta is more of a freeform style of singing without the usual rhyme structure of most songs.  I love these albums as much for the lyrics as I do for the music...which is a big no no on PA, since nobody ever pays attention to lyrics. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 09:53
I've never really got into Moving Pictures, I prefer all its predecessors (apart from the debut). I can't really put my finger on why, it's just never really grabbed me. It didn't when it first came out and it still doesn't.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 10:12
I think so, but I was never really a Rush fan. :p
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 11:24
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I've never really got into Moving Pictures, I prefer all its predecessors (apart from the debut). I can't really put my finger on why, it's just never really grabbed me. It didn't when it first came out and it still doesn't.

Not far from how I feel about this. I think it's a very good album but 2112, Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings I consider better.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 12:17
Those imitators only brings dishonor to true and pure progressive music...Hang 'Em High!!!
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 12:58
Sort of. On the one hand, Rush had been making good albums for some time before Moving Pictures. On the other, Moving Pictures turned out to be one of those good albums. Also, Side A has to be the best side Rush ever did.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 13:59
A side of MP, except instrumental YYZ is nothing special to me, just decent rock songs like dozens of other songs by many rock bands. Songs like Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and Limelight are just radio-type songs which get a lot of credit and they will never move my meter when I think about such a great rock band as Rush. That songs just don't show the musical greatness of this band. I prefer songs Camera Eye and Witch Hunt over that Rush popular songs, but they are also not among my favorite Rush songs. 
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 14:07
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

There are jokes about how certain things arrive in Canada years after they are popular elsewhere.  Rush, apparently is a truth to this. 

They obviously weren't in a rush. LOL
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2016 at 15:10
Overhyped implies that it doesn't live up to how much people praise it, which it does. I personally prefer other Rush albums (Fly By Night) over it, but it's still one of the best albums from the 80's. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>