Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoving Pictures, an overhyped Rush album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 22:46
I love YYZ, Camera Eye, Red Barchetta and Witch Hunt. Much tighter writing than than prior stuff. Someone mentioned that Lifeson had no memorable leads on MP except on Limelight. The lead on YYZ is short but nice. Lifeson's leads are seldom really memorable or special in any way. If one judges Rush by their leads, one is missing the point. Moving Pictures IMO is their last Prog album. I cut my cord with them when the next album came out.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 01:20
Ah, the old 'this album is overated' chestnut. Good to see this concept doing the rounds again. I've been here many many years, and when each new wave of relatively new PA recruits joins the ranks, these threads appear again... You get to understand the psychology of PA after a while, and how people will be triggered by the word "overated"

That said, I DO agree that the word is essentially meaningless when used in reference to something that is entirely subjective.

I always regarded MP as their best album, but not every track is a killer and I do understand why some people don't share that view. I admit there are days when I would rather listen to PW or Hemispheres, but usually I would listen to MP in preference to anything recorded after that.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 03:48
Fistly, overhyped and overrated are similar terms, but not the same.
Secondly, this album is very good, but looking at the whole Rush catalog this album undeservedly get so much praise and credit compared to other Rush albums. 
Thirdly, this album for me will never be the masterpiece and the album that shows the full musical greatness, proficiency and complexity of this amazing band. Why? Because this album is the most accessible Rush output for rock fans with 3 tracks which are radio-friendly songs(Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta) and two more which can also be radio songs as Witch Hunt and Vital Signs. 
And also I think a song Vital Signs is a filler on this album, because it musically with that Police-like vibe doesn't fit good on this album. On Signals or GUP it would fit much better.

And in the end, I don't consider this album prog rock, except the track The Camera Eye. (Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Witch Hunt, Vital Signs and YYZ are not prog tracks to me). 
If anyone consider this album so musically complex, why then it's the most accessible and enjoyable album to rock fans, who are not big Rush fans? Is Yes album Close to the edge so accessible to average rock listener?No. Why, because it's so PROG and complex. In terms of music complexity Close to the edge beats MP any time of a day. 

Edited by TexasKing - September 25 2016 at 03:49
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 05:38
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Secondly, this album is very good, but looking at the whole Rush catalog this album undeservedly get so much praise and credit compared to other Rush albums. 
Thirdly, this album for me will never be the masterpiece and the album that shows the full musical greatness, proficiency and complexity of this amazing band. Why? Because this album is the most accessible Rush output for rock fans with 3 tracks which are radio-friendly songs(Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta) and two more which can also be radio songs as Witch Hunt and Vital Signs. 
And also I think a song Vital Signs is a filler on this album, because it musically with that Police-like vibe doesn't fit good on this album. On Signals or GUP it would fit much better.

And in the end, I don't consider this album prog rock, except the track The Camera Eye. (Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Witch Hunt, Vital Signs and YYZ are not prog tracks to me). 
If anyone consider this album so musically complex, why then it's the most accessible and enjoyable album to rock fans, who are not big Rush fans? Is Yes album Close to the edge so accessible to average rock listener?No. Why, because it's so PROG and complex. In terms of music complexity Close to the edge beats MP any time of a day. 

CTTE beats many prog abums in complexity, but that is not necessarily the most important measure of what makes music progressive. That is subjective of course.

I like complex music, but certainly the opening of CTTE sounds to me like complexity for the sake of it, and sounds messy, like a drunk band lampooning prog rock...

That said, I agree about Vital Signs on MP. I usually skip that track and find it quite irritating. I think they just wanted to indulge their fixation with The Police at the time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 11:10
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Ah yes, because "progginess" is the be-all and end-all for determining how enjoyable/significant/legendary an album will be when listened to years from now...
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Project Nightscape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2016 at 18:01
Rush was my main introduction to prog (besides Jean Michael-Jarre's Oxygene) and quickly became my favorite band. While I rate MP quite highly, it doesn't get as many spins as, say, the preceding three albums or even Grace Under Pressure (which I consider the group's post-MP zenith). These days, I tend to prefer the early live albums, particularly, Exit... Stage Left. The band's live recordings tend to allow more of the emotional thrust behind their songs to come through. 
https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche
TheDankCookie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2016 at 06:14
Its a great album. Its a little over hyped, but it has some great songs. Personally its not my Favorite Rush Album but its a great Rush and Prog album. :)

Edited by TheDankCookie - September 26 2016 at 06:15
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 13:29
If this album do not exist ,the neo-progressive movement would not have happened (dream theater,queensyche and marillion would not be as successful )being a long standing rush fan my favorite is 2112 moving pictures for it,s musical impact of crisp precision playing, remains unparalleled.

Edited by grantman - September 27 2016 at 13:29
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 22:25
Since it's their best album, no.
lostrom
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:15
I must check this album out sometime. Seems popular. It must be good.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 14:19
No, no, a thousand times no (but it's close). [to lostrom]

Edited by Rednight - October 23 2016 at 14:20
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 18:27
Seriously? Who is this Texas King dude? I have seen him post a few not so pleasant things about Rush(that's all fine and dandy)but he is coming off like he knows it all
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 18:30
As for Moving Pictures, it deserves all the praise it gets in my honest opinion. Rush never made an album like it before and since its release
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 04:07
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Yawn.
He-he. You're so bad Angelo! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 13:41
Overhyped, overrated, over talked about.......a thousand times yes.......

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 21:07
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

Like In the Court of the Crimson King
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 11:22
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Wink

Clap
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 05:25

As for Moving Pictures, it deserves all the praise it gets in my honest opinion. Rush never made an album like it before and since its release

No, I don't agree. I think with Permanent Waves Rush easily topped Moving Pictures.  And Moving Pictures is overrated compared to PeW. 
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 09:46
I don’t listen to Moving Pictures much and that’s because it’s hardly my favorite Rush album. That honor goes to Signals and Grace Under Pressure. I do like Permanent Waves, Power Windows, and Hemispheres quite a bit as well. You can keep the rest.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2017 at 09:48
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Wink

Clap

ClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>