Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy isn't Fear of a Blank Planet on ITunes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why isn't Fear of a Blank Planet on ITunes?
    Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:14
I want to buy Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet on ITunes. I know it was on there before, but when I went on the other day, it wasn't. Does anyone know the reason for this?
User Banned for this Post
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:41
guess SWilson wasn't getting paid enough.... what other answer would there be...  just pick another SWilson album.. they all sound the same anyway LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 08:47
Get Fear of a Black Planet instead. Haven't listened myself but I've heard good things Wink

In all seriousness, it does seem to have disappeared from digital sellers. Wait a little while, maybe it'll come back. Order the CD online if you like. Two thirds of the music I'm interested in never seem to be on itunes anyway, the inevitable price of liking good music LOL
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

guess SWilson wasn't getting paid enough.... what other answer would there be...  just pick another SWilson album.. they all sound the same anyway LOL
Well, after the death of one of his greatest idols, Prince, Steven wanted to make his music, the solo work, accessible to everyone on Spotify as an afterthought, considering the fact that none of Prince's albums are on Spotify. Steven wanted his music to be available to everyone. But, ... when it comes to PT, I'm not sure he has 100% of control over how the band's stuff becomes open to the public. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 24 2016 at 09:21
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:20
WHOOOAAAA....  I had to check. That is one of my prog idols. Ok. I misread your post thankfully.

Jeff Lynne hasn't died. Unless he just did today... god this year can not pass quick enough.

I just hope Willie, my #1 idol, makes it through this year. You all will see a grown man break down and cry when we finally lose him. The last remaining slice of real Americana left us.

Edited by micky - September 24 2016 at 09:20
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:21
back on topic after that detour...   was PT really ever a band.  It was SWilson and a bunch of sidemen. I'm sure he had complete control over that stuff.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:26
^ If that is true, if he does have enough clout to dictate the contractual terms of how PT stuff becomes open to the public, then why isn't FOTBPlanet  available on Spotify ? 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - September 24 2016 at 09:27
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:43
I would think he would be... SWilson is guilty of unleashing boring prog on us..of being all work and no fun... but not being an idiot.  It was his band... even if hired gunslingers were brought in and made a part of PT. 

I'm sure he walked having THE say in how and when that group's music is marketed and profited upon.

which bring us back to why? When lacking a convulted answer.. go for the most likely. He wasn't getting paid enough is my guess.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:02
If you are really determined go get it here (FLAC & HiRes) :

http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/94/3423/

and never mind the strange reasons of the industry

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 16:29
It's usually because the record company owns the distribution rights on how material is made available. In some cases artists can dictate just like AC-DC never allowed their albums to be available for download. SW is not a fan of the whole online downloaded thing, many artists are not...for good reasons.
Buy the CD.....
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 17:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's usually because the record company owns the distribution rights on how material is made available. In some cases artists can dictate just like AC-DC never allowed their albums to be available for download. SW is not a fan of the whole online downloaded thing, many artists are not...for good reasons.
Buy the CD.....

This does not make sense!...  Why can't I buy the download from the artist then..  I have well over 2000 CD's and I've decided to stop.  Too much clutter!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 18:33
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Buy the CD.....

This does not make sense!...  Why can't I buy the download from the artist then..  I have well over 2000 CD's and I've decided to stop.  Too much clutter!

Who ever said the record companies ever make sense to the record buyer!! We are always right LOL. When iTunes, Zune Marketplace and others came online many years ago, many artists were not available for any type of "download" or if it was it had DRM protection, meaning you could not burn it to a CD or send it via email. 
AC/DC, Eagles, Led Zepp, KC and Metallica were some of the notables oh and don't forget everyone's beloved Fab Four Dead....Their catalog was just added to iTunes a couple years ago.

In your case you can also go to Amazon and buy the CD and get a digital version (mp3) included. At least with the CD you will get a lossless file but with a mp3 download you get probably a lossy 320kbps file...Go to a hi-res site and you can get a 24bit file.....but if none of that hi-end audio matters then the mp3 will do you just fine. You can always sell the CD if you don't have more storage space...
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:38
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Get Fear of a Black Planet instead

Classic Public Enemy is essential listening! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply