Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Neo Prog Bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Ange are great too!.. I was introduced to them in the late 70's.. I felt that the approach they took to the style of music of Genesis and King Crimson in particular, pre-dated the 'Neo' idea in that they were creating their own music by respectfully/ reverentially referencing these (slightly) earlier bands but in a particularly accentuated and stylized way.. which, after all, is all that Marillion, IQ etc were doing a few years later..

I also feel that Eloy's late 70's output (Colours, Planets & Time to Turn) was pre-empting the sound of the new wave of British progressive rock (NWOBPR)

Interesting thoughts on Ange and the Neo Prog movement...I never really thought about them that way.  I've already steered this thread too far away from the OP's intention, so I started a new thread discussing the start of the Neo Prog era at:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111914

Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - September 15 2017 at 16:56
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 13:38
My apologies if I 'nudged' the subject away from its original post.. it wasn't intentional; I was in my late teens/ early twenties when the Neo Prog (NWOBPR) came about and loved Twelfth Night and IQ in particular (see my postings on Twelfth Night on the band appreciation section. Also worked briefly as a roadie for a local band who supported Pendragon on their 'Fly High, Fall far' tour (about 82?) so those were the bands I knew well. I also put a posting about 'Chemical Alice' who pre-dated Marillion (CA's Drummer became Marillion's keyboard player apparently!?) asking if anyone knew anymore but ive had no replies :(

Thanks, i'll check out your new thread and promise to 'not stray from the path' :)

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 14:22
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Thanks, i'll check out your new thread and promise to 'not stray from the path' :)

No worries...I was just as guilty LOL
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 16:46
my favorite newer prog band are The Red Masque. they are not really neo-prog though; they are very aggressive. listen to their track "Minotaur":

there are many live clips of them on YouTube, here a few examples:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2017 at 17:55
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Silhouette (Netherlands) (17/20).

Great album!!
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 04:56

Chandelier (Germany).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 05:02
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Chandelier (Germany).

wow, not bad at all

the only neo-prog band from Germany that I enjoy is Sylvan.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 05:17
^^ I knew about this album of Chandelier thanks to the belgian magazine Prog-résiste (n 37). Wink
http://www.progresiste.com/index.php
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 04:21

Rachel's Birthday (Germany).
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 08:44
Neo neo prog?    Barock Project owns my favorite keyboardist ( kudos for composition).
Keep going back to Gandalf Fist- The Clockwork Fable  

And then there is this...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 01:58
^^ Carptree, a good band ! Wink

Galahad (UK).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 05:50
Galahad are great, with time they even get better and better.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 09:35
None
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 10:54
Neo-Prog is like candy, fastfood...
It's sugarcoated, easy to get into, sounds good, looks good, but it's always the same, and most of the times you get sick when you consume too many.

Mostly all neoprogbands that are named in the thread are great, but I can't really pick one right now.
Maybe Flower Kings and Big Big Train.

I consumed too many neoprog, that I almost can't hear it anymore. It can be so self-indulgent, pastiched, cliched, boring with too many vocals and too little musical passages,
IQ is still a great band to listen to, and Clutching at Straws by Marillion is superb.

But when I hear people rip on melodic rock/AOR/etc. and then say they love neoprog, I think, what's the difference? Neoprog is not progressive at all, most of the times. Just, really really lengthy popsongs, most of the time (except for IQ and some other examples).

But RPWL, Millenium, Galahad, Arena, Sylvan and the lot of them (although I enjoyed them really much, I plead guilty) just play melodic popsongs (although really lenghty popsongs).
Mostly the musicians are not even that skilled.

I like Quidam very much, when I come to think of it. They had a different, almost jazzy approach here and there.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2017 at 12:36
While neoprog harks back to the 80s, it was only Marillion and IQ which I took up at the time - basically because it was tough to get information and hear other bands in those days. It has been since the late 90s that I revisited many of those earlier bands and found some great gems.

Still getting to grips with Hogarth-era Marillion and I don't think they fit in that genre these days, or for quite a while - but recent albums show their progressive nature.

I do struggle with finding the line where a band has neo-prog leanings end, and where they go beyond it. In the end I look at bands which take the legacy of early Genesis, Yes and ELP, with complexity, keyboards, melody, repeated themes and variations and not tied down to song structures or particular track lengths.

IQ remain up there, ever since I first heard The Wake. Jadis have been a pleasant find in recent years - with a more traditional, guitar-led approach - although some might call them less adventurous. Pendragon have their moments, as do Pallas and Arena. Really enjoying Threshold at present, with the latest album tempering the metal style for some old school prog-leanings.

The female-led UK acts such as Magenta, Karnataka, Mostly Autumn, IO Earth etc. have given me many great listening moments. Magenta's new album is great and much of that is down to Rob Reed (whose Oldfield-homages such as Sanctuary 1 and 2 are real chill out albums (although by no means close to neo-prog)). Panic Room are more mainstream, but have their moments too.

Big Big Train are wonderful - especially the recent handful of albums - and represent a real pastoral prog style reminiscent of Genesis and Lifesigns are similar in style. Looking forward to the new album this week.

Spock's Beard, Neal Morse and Transatlantic might not fit the neo-prog label either - but their influences are often clear to hear.

Nad Sylvan is mining that Genesis/Hackett style well and a real bonus was picking up his re-issued Unifaun album which might be too eclectic for the genre, but is well worth checking out.

Anything John Mitchell touches these days is real class - Frost* and Arena - although it was the two It Bites reboot albums which really impressed. Pop-prog for many, but the link to the 70s and 80s is clear. Love the 'Lonely Robot' project too. Old school prog with a modern production edge.

Elsewhere, Airbag have built up a great back catalogue and expanded on their Pink Floyd leanings. Unitopia and its offshoots are well worth a look - especially Southern Empire. DeeExpus came up to strong albums and are much missed. Mystery, Credo and Leap Day tick most boxes, as to Wobbler.

The lost band for me were Darwin's Radio - who brought out one cracking album, before the curse of piracy and streaming saw them give up that particular project.

Apologies for significantly shifting away from the pure neo-prog genre in the above stream of consciousness - but I think many of these will fit your search well - and our continental proggers have added names I haven't got to yet either.

So much to explore...so little time! Good luck! 😀

P.S. I quite like Riverside too - although moving more into the Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree/Anathema side of prog (still great - but not for this thread, perhaps).

Edited by Squonk19 - September 20 2017 at 14:26
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 01:38
^ I enjoyed reading your post. I can totally recognize myself in that post. Especially that bands were hard to discover back in the 80's and 90's.

Thank god, I had a hardrock-cd-shop in town wich had a lot of progrock.

I love the Unitopia / United Progressive Fraternity aswell. They have the same approach as Big Big Train and Flower Kings. I guess I'll just stick with those guys when it comes to neoprog.

Funny to read that there's a thin line between neoprog and (soft) progmetal.
Pendragon and Arena lean towards metal and Threshold and Riverside lean towards neoprog.

I tried the whole nu-prog movement (Oceansize, Porcupine Tree, Amplifier, Pineapple Thief) but because of the lack of a good keyboardplayer and mostly too techncial and amplified approach, I don;t really care for them anymore.

I love myself some flute and acoustic guitars, some violin, vocal harmonies etc. etc.
Like I said, Flower Kings, Big Big Train and the lot have enough to offer for me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 02:16
Neither Flower Kings or Big Big Train are considered neo so that may just be why you dig them.

Fish era Marillion still reigns supreme for me. I also dig early IQ albums but must admit that Peter Nichols vocals have started to irritate me a little (especially from Ever and on).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 02:26
When I really think hard, and limit myself to the well known neoprog, these albums stand out:

Marillion - Clutching, Misplaced and Thieving Magpie
IQ - Almost anything, but mainly Subterannea and Seventh House
Pendragon - Believe, Pure
Twelfth Night - Live and Let Live
It Bites - the trio of 80's albums
Sylvan - Posthumous Silence
Quidam - Alone Together

I used to listen to RPWL, Millenium, Galahad etc. But don't really care for them anymore. Maybe the love for neoprog will return...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 02:31
Almost forgot about Twelfth Night. A great band that actually infused a bit of balls into what was already starting to look like a pink unicorn world for bearded men.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 06:38
That's a wonderful description indeed.

Neoprog is the most kitsch subgenre I can think of. Maybe gothic metal is even more kitsch.
Most neoclassical metal is also hard to bear. But I'm getting offtopic.

Twelfth Night was a different cup of tea indeed. Not the best musicians, and none of their music really stands out. But they have some sort of atmosphere and of course they have Geoff Mann!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>