Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListing The Worst In Prog! Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Listing The Worst In Prog! Why?
    Posted: September 27 2016 at 14:23
I've noticed a lot of threads lately dealing with the topic of worst prog song, or worst prog album by a prog artist. Why? Have we run out of positive things to say? Have we exhausted all of the good prog so that we're only dealing with the bad now? Rubbish. PA lists some 50,000 prog artists and albums, and some you haven't heard are actually good!

If someone is bored with prog, perhaps a new field should be looked at, even if only temporary. I've never bothered with RPI, but I'd rather learn to read and speak Italian before compiling a list of prog I don't like. What say you? Is prog suffering another premature death? I say rubbish. I can't wait to hear the new Marillion. And If that's not good, then I've got twenty other Marillion albums to fall back on. Again, what say you to this?

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2016 at 04:23
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 14:33
prog is no different from any other genre.. it has its gems.. it has its stinkers.

what is interesting about prog.. which is for me.. and probably many here.. it is only ONE of the many genres of music I love... prog is no better than country to me.

what it is about 'prog' that sets it above other genres are the extremes involved. That keeps me around, other than the booze, broads and blow that flow freely here. It is a facination musical genre.  Why?

To paraphase the our resident forum guru of ultimate musical wisdom. David Marshall.  Heart

there is nothing better that great prog.. but there is NOTHING worse than bad prog.

to me.. perhaps others.. it is just as much fun, and is as interesting, to point and and have fun with prog that sucks as much as it does to talk about prog that is great.

Edited by micky - September 27 2016 at 14:37
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 15:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I've noticed a lot of threads lately dealing with the topic of worst prog song, or worst prog album by a prog artist. Why? Have we run out of positive things to say? Have we exhausted all of the good prog so that we're only dealing with the bad now? Rubbish. PA lists some 50,000 prog artists and albums, and some you haven't heard are actually good!

If someone is bored with prog, perhaps a new field should be looked at, even if only temporary. I've never bothered with RPI, but I'd rather learn to read and speak Italian before compiling a list of prog I don't like. What say you? Is prog suffering another premature death? I say rubbish. I can't wait to hear the new Marillion. And If that's not good, then I've got twenty other Marillion albums to fall back on. Again, what say you to this?

You want classes? I can give you a special rate LOL. Anyway, though knowing Italian is a bonus for RPI listening, it is not at all essential. The music speaks for itself even if you don't understand the lyrics (which are often quite good, much better than their English counterparts).

Regarding the negative threads, I am in complete agreement with you. Unfortunately, unless the Admins decide to take action (which would amount to a form of censorship), I'm afraid they're here to stay.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2016 at 15:28
amen to that darling.... god bless our enlightened admins for knowing the death of a any forum.. much less a musical one ... is stifling negative comments and that entertainment comes to town when the black hats ride into town. 

Don't play innocent darling.. I remember you in your black stetson and TIGHT fittin' jeans LOL, when the AR team rode into town...with you riding shotgun next to me.. yes.. it was bloody... GOD...it was nasty... but my goodness was it fun. I heard it directly from M@X that the site got its highest ratings when we came riding into the forums from our hole in wall hideouts in the collab zone.

Bread and circuses...Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 00:39
People will always complain about the music that disappointed them or not raising up to their expectations. It's ok as long they don't exaggerate with it (and some do that).
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 00:58
I think this goes onto the pile of bad topics about prog on this site LOL

In fairness I rarely post here anymore. Not because I got bored with progressive rock , on the contrary, but because I got tired of endless discussions about music almost for the sake of discussion. I think these posts SteveG is referring to are posted by people who are equally bored but don't want to leave, or are seeking indeed discussion for the sake of discussion.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 01:30
Funny thing is that often a progband that makes new wave or pop or new age are considererd bad.
But what if they actually make good pop or new wave or new age?

Queen and Gentle Giant both turned in a punkrocksong, wich was actually quite good.

What I think is the worst in prog? Conservatism. Not expanding, and not growing musically. Rush or Queen using synthesizers, or whatever. Why is that bad? The result is often very good.

I think that a lot of prog-enthousiasts are like indie-lovers. When a band becomes famous, they're sellouts. It's kind of mean, because they don't grant their favourite bands the succes.

Of course every band, once in a while, really turn in something, that many people agree, isn't up to the usual standards of a band.
But often the band, know that quite right themselves.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 01:32
^ Queen punk-rock? what songs do you have in mind?
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 01:51
It's fun and relieving to complain, as you do now.
lostrom
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 01:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ Queen punk-rock? what songs do you have in mind?

Sheer Heart Attack, written by Roger Taylor. You can find it on News of the World.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 01:57
^ there's nothing punk about that
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 02:14
It's very punk, in my opinion. They (Roger and Brian) even consider it punk.

edit 3: even the press of that day and age thought so: http://www.superseventies.com/spqueen.html

Edited by Kingsnake - September 28 2016 at 02:19
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 02:25
^ when Roger Taylor wrote the song, punk had not even started.
Just like Stone Cold Crazy, rather a proto metal, even proto-thrash kind a song. Maybe punks were influenced by Queen. LOL
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 02:40
Definitely the other way around - by 1977 punk was well established when Queen recorded that album.  The following year, Steve Hillage famously guested on stage with Sham 69 at the Reading Festival and released the punk inspired '1988 Activator'.  At the time, many also thought Floyd's 'Animals' was influenced (partly) by punk...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 02:45
Taylor wrote that song in 1974, they thought it was not good enough then?!
It's a great song. I don't know if it ended up on NotW because punk was trendy or something.

Edited by Cristi - September 28 2016 at 02:48
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 02:47
Fair enough, I thought the song was contemporaneous with the album.  However, punk existed before 76, especially in the States so indeed there may have been some influence, e.g. MC5.  I am not a Queen expert!
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 02:55

Taylor wrote it for the album Sheer Heart Attack, and it was proto-metal or proto-punk, so to say. But Modern Times Rock n Roll, was proto-punk aswell. Or call it garagerock (like MC5).

But the song never made it onto the 1974 album. And the version Taylor had in mind, remains unheard/unknown.
When the band was recording News of the World, The Sex Pistols were recording in the same studio. There are a few funny anecdotes about the two bands running into eachother.

The whole idea of punk was to rage against bands like Queen, Yes, Genesis and other high-and-mighty bands. That's why Taylor thought of his old song, a tongue-in-cheek, something Queen did more often. They even incorporated soul/gospel/funk/disco etc. in their music, so why not punk?

Taylor decided to 'up' the song. Make it more agressive and akin to day and age. So in that manner, it was intended to be an answer to punk. It's a whole story, but eventually they did it. They crossed that bridge, and the fun thing is: the fans even liked it.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:02
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ when Roger Taylor wrote the song, punk had not even started.
Just like Stone Cold Crazy, rather a proto metal, even proto-thrash kind a song. Maybe punks were influenced by Queen. LOL

It's a funny thing, that whether or not one likes Queen, they influenced many, and were influenced by many.
Somebody to Love was inspired by Aretha Franklin. Not many rockbands are influenced by soul/gospel.
Another One Bites the Dust was inspired by black funk.
Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a rockabilly song inspired by Elvis.
etc. etc.

Michael Jackson even said that he could use a bassline like Deacon came up with for Another One Bites the Dust.

But hey! I am a huge Queen enthousiast. I like all their experimentations. In my opinion the only song not really great would be I Want to Break Free and Invisible Man, wich sound too juvenile to me.
And I don't really like rock'n'roll and rockabilly, so I can't really enjoy the song Crazy Little Thing Called Love.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:33
A poll is a poll and its value depends on the question. Asking "the worst" is not that different from asking "the best". If one is not interested or thinks it's a rubbish question, the easiest thing to do is not voting and not posting. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:35
"If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing." More people should live by this. We have more than our share of critics in the world. We need more encouragers, more with positives to say. It's a huge shame that positive reviews are generally dismissed as "gushing" and "fanboyish". It's far better for the soul to read good words, especially about things you enjoy as well.

Edited by RoeDent - September 28 2016 at 03:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>