Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedListing The Worst In Prog! Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:55
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ when Roger Taylor wrote the song, punk had not even started.
Just like Stone Cold Crazy, rather a proto metal, even proto-thrash kind a song. Maybe punks were influenced by Queen. LOL

It's a funny thing, that whether or not one likes Queen, they influenced many, and were influenced by many.
Somebody to Love was inspired by Aretha Franklin. Not many rockbands are influenced by soul/gospel.
Another One Bites the Dust was inspired by black funk.
Crazy Little Thing Called Love was a rockabilly song inspired by Elvis.
etc. etc.

Michael Jackson even said that he could use a bassline like Deacon came up with for Another One Bites the Dust.

But hey! I am a huge Queen enthousiast. I like all their experimentations. In my opinion the only song not really great would be I Want to Break Free and Invisible Man, wich sound too juvenile to me.
And I don't really like rock'n'roll and rockabilly, so I can't really enjoy the song Crazy Little Thing Called Love.

Deacon established his identity as a copycat with this bass line Evil Smile. It strongly resembled Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight, which was released just a short while before.

Edited by someone_else - September 28 2016 at 03:56
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:05
People moan about stuff here all the time (Genesis, Rush, Pink Floyd).  I'd not really noticed a buoyant spirit of optimistic good feeling pervading through topic comments, well, most of the time anyway. A "worst" post is merely making it all honest and well focusing the debate. Nothing like other points of view.

Who knows what may happen next on these forums? The excitement and anticipation is nearly tangible. Wink

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:13
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Deacon established his identity as a copycat with this bass line Evil Smile. It strongly resembled Sugarhill Gang's Rapper's Delight, which was released just a short while before.

It resembles a bit but it's not a rip-off.
Deacon enjoyed funk, there's more on Hot Space (Dancer, Staying Power, Cool Cat, Back Chat). It's influence, not theft.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:14
@uduwudu. Well, its time to start celebrating the gift of the music again!

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2016 at 04:22
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:21
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

You want classes? I can give you a special rate LOL. Anyway, though knowing Italian is a bonus for RPI listening, it is not at all essential. The music speaks for itself even if you don't understand the lyrics (which are often quite good, much better than their English counterparts).

Regarding the negative threads, I am in complete agreement with you. Unfortunately, unless the Admins decide to take action (which would amount to a form of censorship), I'm afraid they're here to stay.
I have a rudimentary command of Italian, Raff. Just enough to keep from getting gipped by a cab driver in Rome. But I feel quite ill at ease not being able to understand the lyrics of RPI songs. As I understand, there not the superfluous meanderings of Jon Anderson. Which I suppose is quite beneficial for prog fans that don't speak English. LOL 

Edited by SteveG - September 28 2016 at 04:21
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:25

^ when Roger Taylor wrote the song, punk had not even started.
Just like Stone Cold Crazy, rather a proto metal, even proto-thrash kind a song. Maybe punks were influenced by Queen. LOL

I think Metallica have covered Stone Cold Crazy. Something to do with thrash, I think.

Queen.. punk... LOL

Edited by uduwudu - September 28 2016 at 04:25
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:26
^Punk? Well I did say checking out other genres was an option. LOL
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:42
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Actually he borrowed the bassline from Good Times by Chic. Funny thing is, that Queen never worked with Nile Rodgers (although Bowie did). Queen however were influenced by Duran Duran when they were working on The Works, wich was produced by Nile Rodgers.

People keep influencing people; an endless cycle.

Edited by Kingsnake - September 28 2016 at 04:49
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 04:54
^ Apparently, Rapper's Delight used that Chic bassline & rhythm section

I don't hear any Duran Duran on Queen's the Works. Confused

Edited by Cristi - September 28 2016 at 04:55
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 05:07
Apparently Queen was at an all down low, after the lukewarm response on Hot Space, and they almost wanted to quit altogether.

Then they got together to make one last album. "let's give 'em the works", is what Taylor said.
Inspired by Duran Duran and other new wave-bands they started writing and recording. The result is what we now know as the eclectic mix of synthpop and hardrock. That's what I always understood. They wanted to sound fresh and abandon the disco/funk antics they used on Hot Space, so in return they turned towards new wave/synthpop.

Then there was the opportunity of playing on Live Aid. A huge worldwide broadcast musical event, where Queen shared the stage with Duran Duran amongst many many others.
Queen was considered the best act that day, and uptil now the performance they gave, is considered the best live-performance by any artist ever (!!!).

So they didn't call it quits after The Works, and released several more singles and albums.

Edited by Kingsnake - September 28 2016 at 05:12
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 05:10
^ wait..., Live Aid was in 1985, the Works was released in 1984.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 05:26

^ wait..., Live Aid was in 1985, the Works was released in 1984.

Yes, I got things mixed up. I edited my post to make it right.
The Live Aid concert made the band decide to continu after The Works.
Eventually they became one of the few bands to be succesful over 4 decades (or 3, depends on if you consider Queen a band after Freddie's demise).
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

... but I'd rather learn to read and speak Italian before compiling a list of prog I don't like.
What a timely idea in order to attain the complete listening experience when revisiting the Italian portion of my prog collection!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 20:14
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 22:44

They call that piracy now. Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:35
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

They call that piracy now. Wink

Naaah everything's legal now. They tried to knock us down for many years and failed miserably...music lovers prevailed!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 16:08
It's all just modeled on the discourse patterns of Tony Banks. What could be more in the spirit of Progressive Rock?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 03:55
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

"If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing." More people should live by this. We have more than our share of critics in the world. We need more encouragers, more with positives to say. It's a huge shame that positive reviews are generally dismissed as "gushing" and "fanboyish". It's far better for the soul to read good words, especially about things you enjoy as well.

Spot on. This: "We need more encouragers, more with positives to say". Iīm getting sick and tired of these useless "worst list" like many other members here. They are plain useless. 
"Itīs far better for the soul to read good words, especially things about you enjoy as well". Exactly.If you donīt like say Uriah Heep then go away.

But those "best lists" are getting even more funny, havenīt they ? Because almost every time you try to bring a new aspect to these "common" opinions about "the best of" or whatever, there will be a moron dissing your very thoughtful & intelligent review right away. And just for a little/irrelevant matter like " I donīt like that guitar sound here or there, otherwise itīs OK". How stupid is that ? An certain album is a masterpiece as such but oneīs negative opinion about say a musiciansī political (or racial) views about some things doesnīt lessen itīs value, as such. Sorry my clumsy English, Iīm not a writer really. Anyway...

I laughed at those damn critics already in the early 70īs, for those booooring old farts. They really wanted to kill all the incredible bands we kids loved, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, ELP (in particular), Yes etc. But they failed miserably because we kids bought EXACTLY the album critics hated LOL.
And like Rick Wakeman I just laughed at punk in 1976. Happy times Big smile

And ASIAīs two first album are brilliant (prog) rock records, the very FINEST from that utterly dull 80īs, you doubting morons (grin).
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 04:41
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

"If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing." More people should live by this. We have more than our share of critics in the world. We need more encouragers, more with positives to say. It's a huge shame that positive reviews are generally dismissed as "gushing" and "fanboyish". It's far better for the soul to read good words, especially about things you enjoy as well.

Spot on. This: "We need more encouragers, more with positives to say". Iīm getting sick and tired of these useless "worst list" like many other members here. They are plain useless. 
"Itīs far better for the soul to read good words, especially things about you enjoy as well". Exactly.If you donīt like say Uriah Heep then go away.

But those "best lists" are getting even more funny, havenīt they ? Because almost every time you try to bring a new aspect to these "common" opinions about "the best of" or whatever, there will be a moron dissing your very thoughtful & intelligent review right away. And just for a little/irrelevant matter like " I donīt like that guitar sound here or there, otherwise itīs OK". How stupid is that ? An certain album is a masterpiece as such but oneīs negative opinion about say a musiciansī political (or racial) views about some things doesnīt lessen itīs value, as such. Sorry my clumsy English, Iīm not a writer really. Anyway...

I laughed at those damn critics already in the early 70īs, for those booooring old farts. They really wanted to kill all the incredible bands we kids loved, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, ELP (in particular), Yes etc. But they failed miserably because we kids bought EXACTLY the album critics hated LOL.

And ASIAīs two first album are brilliant (prog) rock records, the very FINEST from that utterly dull 80īs, you doubting morons (grin).

Why? First, it's a laugh. Second people have to let off steam. Third we humans are going to call something awful anyway. Fourth it provides a place for contrary views , unlikely as this is going to be in the world of prog rock, surely. Fifth, it might allow a new view point on music. e.g. all these stuffy views that Asia are not a prog rock band. Yeah right with Carl Palmer being his own percussion section as well as drummer. Sixth - more or less free speech in acceptable environments. Seventh this is not an evangelical environment (except for Jon Anderson who would be horrified were it not so); that is where everyone takes a nice happy clappy view and is on the road to enlightenment.

But mainly, it's a laugh.
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2016 at 07:15
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Why? First, it's a laugh. Second people have to let off steam. Third we humans are going to call something awful anyway. Fourth it provides a place for contrary views , unlikely as this is going to be in the world of prog rock, surely. Fifth, it might allow a new view point on music. e.g. all these stuffy views that Asia are not a prog rock band. Yeah right with Carl Palmer being his own percussion section as well as drummer. Sixth - more or less free speech in acceptable environments. Seventh this is not an evangelical environment (except for Jon Anderson who would be horrified were it not so); that is where everyone takes a nice happy clappy view and is on the road to enlightenment.

But mainly, it's a laugh.

Nothing but a LOL, in the end of a day. I have know this for forty years and actually itīs kinda entertaining because I will have fun reading all those morounic comments over and over again here and there because they wonīt stop, some people are arrogant and usually just plain stupid. And therefore Iīm actually getting known people here better, to whom talk to and whom not and not waste my precious time. Life is short. Iīm interested in sharing and hopefully getting info, especially about artists that are not so well known yet. I have already found two interesting bands never known before. Great. But spreading disinformation for whatever reasons is never constructive. 

Jon Anderson is an intellectual, like we or not. I personally like intellectual. As for drummers, Carl Palmer still reigns supreme after all these decades, heīs actually better than in ELPīs prime. Because heīs still enjoying playing and wants to make progress. And is young. Simple thing.

Heīs hard to "beat", so are Franz di Cioccio and Furio Chirico still today, IMHO. 
Seems they never get old. LOL

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - October 15 2016 at 09:53
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>