FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlues / stoner based progressive rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blues / stoner based progressive rock
    Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:23
There are a lot of blues rock based bands that have very progressive songwriting and difficult arrangments and rhythms. I know a lot of these bands are not considered progrock, I just wanted to know what the opinions of people are. I will list some bands, I find very progressive (old and new), wich are blues-rock based:

- The Allman Brothers Band (blues/jazzrock based)
- The Marshall Tucker Band (blues/country/jazzrock based, with flute/saxophone)
- The Charlie Daniels Band (blues/bluegrass/country/jazzrock based, with violin)
- Gov't Mule (bluesrock based, mostly a powertrio jambased band, but with chilling progressive compositions, they even recorded a full Pink Floyd concert)
- Kamchatka (bluesrock/stoner rock based, weird rhythms/arrangments, lots of solo's and psychedelica)
- The Atomic Bitchwax (stonerrock/bluesrock based, features members of Monster Magnet, jambased with lots and lots of psychedelica)

I know Santana and Phish are on the website, but don't know if the bands I listed were even considered once. Blues and bluesrock are not on the website. And a line must be drawn, so that's okay.
I don't know about stoner/fuzz because they have ties to spacerock/psychedelica. Some people go as far, as putting stonerrock in the spacerock genre.

Edited by Kingsnake - September 28 2016 at 03:26
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:32
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

I don't know about stoner/fuzz because they have ties to spacerock/psychedelica. Some people go as far, as putting stonerrock in the spacerock genre.
It's on PA's Psych/Space Rock definition: "They (Stoner Rock bands) can be considered as a borderline case between Psychedelic Progressive, Heavy Progressive, and Progressive Metal." I say it depends on how progressive/complex their music is.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 03:39
That's interesting.

So a stoner rockband-suggestion can be made, if their music is progressive/complex enough.
I can think of a few. But I fear, that if the music is too bluesrock-based, it will be a firm 'no'!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 05:11
A good example of an act combining stoner rock with prog is Colour Haze from Germany...but you're right: a good rule of thumb is that whenever the music leans towards a simpler blues based rock n roll, it probably won't make it into PA.
That does not mean the music isn't great or progressive - it merely means that it doesn't fit in on this site.
Progressive music exists in every corner of the musical map - progressive pop, hip hop, jazz, electronica, polka hell even post-punk gave way to some pretty interesting and rather experimental acts such as Wire, Pere Ubu and The Fall. Still, we tend to focus on Prog Rock as much as we can.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 06:30
Along with psychedelic prog / space rock definition, stoner rock cannot be fit for progressive rock sorry (and as one of ex-psych team member).
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 11:34
I'm almost certain that Allman Brothers have been suggested before, but I could be wrong.

In all honesty though I think most jam bands out there are the spitting image of modern prog, just as much as neo is. In my opinion both Gov't Mule and ABB would fit quite well on here but alas, it's not my decision. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 12:16
If you looking to Progressive Rock music like this , You can add too many Hard Rock/ Blues Rock bands to your list! Bands like Grand funk Railroad or ZZ TOP or Many of Indie artists and bands like Bon Iver or  ... !!!
Gov't Mule and Allman Brothers are my fave bands but I'm sure they are not Prog IMO.  

Edited by O666 - September 28 2016 at 12:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 13:39
There are a lot of interesting stoner rock AKA hard rock/stoner doom/aka heavy/doom bands but none of them prog though.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 15:05
Ufomammut and Samsara Blues Experience is worth checking out

Also worthy a mentio n is Kyuss, some amazing progy stoner rock there

And Skin Yards are also worth a shot

Edited by Icarium - September 28 2016 at 15:08
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 16:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

There are a lot of interesting stoner rock AKA hard rock/stoner doom/aka heavy/doom bands but none of them prog though.
I feel like that's disingenuous. There's plenty of stoner bands out there that also are prog. 
http://fryingpanmedia.com
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 16:45
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Ufomammut and Samsara Blues Experience is worth checking out

Also worthy a mentio n is Kyuss, some amazing progy stoner rock there

And Skin Yards are also worth a shot
Ufomammut is fantastic.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 19:15
The best Blues/ Stoner Prog in OZ would be Chain Legendary Band here with Matt Taylor been around forever- their biggest hit here and signature tune  Black and Blue below:

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:39
BARONESS fit the bill. Mix of sludge/alternative/psych/metal, even pop. Eclectic mix-up of sounds and styles, but I don't find them complex or Progressive though.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 00:53
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I feel like that's disingenuous. There's plenty of stoner bands out there that also are prog. 

I'm not saying there aren't, just that the ones I heard are not. Great music but not prog.
stoner based progressive rock? - usually turns up to be some heavy prog or psychedelic/space rock
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2016 at 04:40
Well we certainly think we know what's not prog. Just not what it is, however.

NP: PF - Pompeii. (The CD boot which really needs an official - soundtrack - release).

Now PF is bluesy, stoner, spacey, psych and even... prog rock.

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 10:23
From a historical point of view, it's true that some blues bands were called "progressive blues" back in the late-60's / early-70's (very, very early), but it didn't last a long time.

About stoner rock, I would be the first to dismiss most of these bands as "progressive": the fact that I saw this "genre" flourish just after the grunge era made me... suspicious about their influences.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 13:00
Well...I don't know Kamchatka and Atomic but the others I have in my collection...I'm a big fan of the Allman Bros btw...but I don't consider any of the ones I have particularly progressive . They all have some prog elements at times but I have never thought of them as prog rock.
Just my two cents.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 13:15
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I'm almost certain that Allman Brothers have been suggested before, but I could be wrong.

It wasn't suggested.. seriously at least that I ever recall. Not to the genre teams.. perhaps someone made the mistake of trying a backdoor 'related' but that would have had no chance against the old admin team.

Smile However it was next on my list to see added but I didn't get to it when genre team burnout finally got to me and I retired.. and after years away from the site.. it seemed pointless to come back to..retirement/trolling is fun. No desire to get back into that sh*t anymore.  Especially since my partner in crime who would have, along with me, made sure it happened also retired.

It would have two powerful voices in favor.. and both were genre team leaders.  It would have happened I suppose. Most see them as being under the sillly 'jam' band label and not for what they were...  America's best Jazz-Rock band. Their musical basis was jazz.. pure and simple.

At this point.. doesn't really matter if they are added or not.  It isn't like anyone will really learn of them here. They are one of those 1%r bands.  If you know anything about rock music.. you know of this group. The wasted chance was ..similar to what we did with Steely Dan. Educate and enlighten listeners that you don't judge a book by its cover.  Those SD reviews are some of the ones I am most proud of actually. Actually got PM thanking me for them... for sheding a different light on the group than they had previously thought of them.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 14:57
Big suggestion thread for The Allman Brothers back in 2009 - here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57179.

Some interesting comments... :)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 15:34
it was an interesting site back then LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>