Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat's this then Precious?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's this then Precious?
    Posted: September 28 2016 at 11:05
I took a shower yesterday and decided to make a thread about sausages. I changed my mind.

This thread is now about those little moments, or big indeed, in music where you question what exactly it is you're listening to. I've experienced this many times where fx I believe I'm listening to a guitar solo during Caravan's Nine Feet Underground (a long time ago mind you) or maybe just questioning whether a certain sound is a synth, bass trombone, electric oboe or a (very) high German with a microphone.

I thought this perhaps could lead to some funny stories and perchance a means to get to the bottom of long brewing musical mysteries of the mind. Questions and tomfoolery are of course very welcome. We do have quite a few knowleadgeable folks around these parts.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 11:48
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I took a shower yesterday

Prove it.

For a while I sometimes mistook fuzz-bass for synth or distorted organ. Certain models of organ can produce synth-y sounds. A few times I have confused vocals filtered through a Leslie cabinet for vocals put through a wah-wah pedal. Sometimes an instrument sped up or slowed down sounds very different than how it would normally, making you think you're hearing an entirely different instrument.

I wonder what an Auto-Tuned fart would sound like.
Magma America Great Make Again
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 12:14
It don't happen to me, I'm a double trio professional listener.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 12:46
I've was listening to ELP one time and for a second I thought it was good music.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 13:18
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Prove it.

For a while I sometimes mistook fuzz-bass for synth or distorted organ. Certain models of organ can produce synth-y sounds. A few times I have confused vocals filtered through a Leslie cabinet for vocals put through a wah-wah pedal. Sometimes an instrument sped up or slowed down sounds very different than how it would normally, making you think you're hearing an entirely different instrument.

I'm currently wafting my scent towards Canada. If you pick up a particularly fragrant scent tomorrow morning, you'll know where it came from.
I too have been fooled by various instruments run through pedals. The Taj Mahal Travellers may just be the kings of creating sounds that never really stack up with the instrument in use. Violins and trumpets sound like synths and the synths sound like slow moving soil or something to that effect.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 13:59
I am still picking my brain trying to dissect heavy percussion led albums such as Stomu Yamashta's bewildering debut or the equally enigmatic oevre of Italy's Aktuala. Here the confusion or indeed blissfull mischief is achieved through mic placements and drumming through membranes of sorts and yes playing around with different filters. That and then of course the hundreds of exotic instruments being played - many of them with names I wouldn't dare pronounce.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 28 2016 at 14:00

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 16:23
No Quarter by Led Zeppelin is a doozy of different affects that I was never able to fully comprehend. What always intrigued me was that keyboard hook seen at the beginning of the song, which I always thought was just simple mellotron but is much more complicated than that. I guess it's mostly keyboard oscillations on a Moog Taurus, but what I didn't know was that Jones also did the synth bass line for the song which is just fantastic. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 19:33
First, I'm shocked to find gambling going on.   Second, I'm shocked a retired Admin would mis-post a thread that clearly belongs in Internal News (as it is about your innermost revelations).   Third, I'm shocked anyone could mistake a fuzz bass for an electric guitar like I have on occasion.   Lastly, you misspelled obo.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2016 at 19:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Lastly, you misspelled obo.
Is this where the gambling part comes in?
paulindigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 02:31
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

No Quarter by Led Zeppelin is a doozy of different affects that I was never able to fully comprehend. What always intrigued me was that keyboard hook seen at the beginning of the song, which I always thought was just simple mellotron but is much more complicated than that. 

If you mean the 'underwater' effect it was a Hohner electric piano filterd through a VCS3 synth. In concert he used a phaser instead
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 04:10
No problems for me. If I can't figure it out on the rare occasion, I don't dwell on it. I personally don't understand why some people mistake heavily reverbed rototoms for electric drums, as one example, but sometimes people hear what they want to hear.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 08:16

I've was listening to ELP one time and for a second I thought it was good music.

Same happened to me with the Mars Volta.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 08:30
If the thread can be about wondering what you're seeing....as well as hearing....

Apparently these days when one pays hundreds to see a big show with good seats, one is not paying so much to watch the show, but to make sure one captures it on a mobile device.  If you happened to be interested in simply watching the performance, I guess it best that you not sit behind these folks.  Unless you have an arm fetish. 

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2016 at 16:10

You basterd !! Shocked

Edited by JD - September 29 2016 at 16:11
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 10:19
I listened to Wishbone Ash's Pilgrimage this afternoon and the guitar intro of one song sounded like keyboards to my ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2016 at 19:34
Originally posted by paulindigo paulindigo wrote:

No Quarter by Led Zeppelin is a doozy of different affects that I was never able to fully comprehend. What always intrigued me was that keyboard hook seen at the beginning of the song, which I always thought was just simple mellotron but is much more complicated than that. 

If you mean the 'underwater' effect it was a Hohner electric piano filterd through a VCS3 synth. In concert he used a phaser instead
I was more wondering about the keyboard itself. So it's an Electra piano then?
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Prove it.

Please, there is no need. Truly.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Probably very much like the one Warren Zevon used as solo after placing the results through a synthesizer. Transcribe that Stevie Vai! (Btw, I don't know what song it is...)
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 18:44
I've got quite a few examples I can list off the top of my head.

In Roundabout, I thought the menacing riff during the "Up on the drifting crowd The eagle searching down on the land" section was played by Howe's guitar, not Squire's bass. I realized my mistake only when seeing Squire play the part live.

I thought the entirety of the introduction to Watcher of the Skies was played solely on the Mellotron, but there's also a few Hammond chords a minute in. I originally thought it was Mellotron brass.

On Tangerine Dream's Cloudburst Flight, I originally thought the leads in the middle section were played on Minimoog, but there's also a guitar solo played by Edgar Froese. Also on Force Majeure, I mistook recording engineer Eduard Meyer's cello for a synth somewhere.

On TD's Tangram I thought a synth solo was a guitar solo until reading that Schmoelling played it on a keyboard, purposely making it sound like a guitar.

In Rainbow's instrumental cover of Still I'm Sad, I thought there was a Mellotron choir or other synth playing after the guitar solo. It's actually wordless backing vocalizations by Shoshana Feinstein, Ritchie Blackmore's girlfriend at the time.

In DT's Pull Me Under, I thought Moore used a sequencer for the fast rhythmic keyboards rather than playing the part in real time.

Edited by Replayer - October 02 2016 at 20:54
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:04
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

First, I'm shocked to find gambling going on.   Second, I'm shocked a retired Admin would mis-post a thread that clearly belongs in Internal News (as it is about your innermost revelations).   Third, I'm shocked anyone could mistake a fuzz bass for an electric guitar like I have on occasion.   Lastly, you misspelled obo.

I obviously forgot about my own thread, so shame on me. In the corner I go for a full hour with Sha-na-na blasting on the stereo. Consequences y'know.
I have always spelled oboe with an e - mostly because I suck at Spanish.

Btw Back when I was a wee kid with tiny elbows I always mistook the violin solo in Roxy Music's Out Of The Blue for a crazy feedback guitar. I have of course since then found out about Jobson's usage of the rarely played synth claves.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply