Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGender theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Poll Question: Should gender theory be taught in schools?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [20.59%]
20 [58.82%]
3 [8.82%]
4 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gender theory
    Posted: October 02 2016 at 01:13
Gender theory is the idea, currently pushed with the blessing of the governments of numerous countries, that regardless of ones biological sex, the individual can choose to identify as either male, female or neither.

I'm sure most would agree that an adult can choose whatever they want in this regared, but should this idea be taught to impressionable young children in schools who have yet to fully understand their own biology?

The pope, perhaps inevitably, said recently that he believes there to be global war on the family and marriage and that the teaching of gender theory in schools is part of that attack calling it 'ideological colonization'

Thoughts? Liberals please try not to get too upset by this question..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 02:04
No, it should not be taught to young children. It's already confusing enough to be a young child. Why add to the confusion?
To those who support this theory I would ask what it is you hope to gain by this?
I realize that gender confusion exists in some children but from what I've read it is a small percentage but that is different from teaching all children that they have a choice to be male, female or neither.

To the young single members here I will say that I speak as a father of three (1 female, 2 males) and a grandfather of four (2 males , 2 females).
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 02:14
Well, there's a big problem with the initial question, since there's no "gender theory", but "gender studies"... And that's quite different.
I don't know for America, but, in France, people talking about "gender theory" and fearing that the "innocent ones" could be contaminated with this speech are religious freaks obsessed with feminism, homosexuality, abortion/contraception and the rest.

So, I can't and won't vote in this poll, since it deals with the existence of the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and the Chupacabra.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 03:30
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Well, there's a big problem with the initial question, since there's no "gender theory", but "gender studies"... And that's quite different.
I don't know for America, but, in France, people talking about "gender theory" and fearing that the "innocent ones" could be contaminated with this speech are religious freaks obsessed with feminism, homosexuality, abortion/contraception and the rest.

So, I can't and won't vote in this poll, since it deals with the existence of the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot and the Chupacabra.

In other words you do support the teaching of 'gender studies' to young children?

I used the remm 'gender theory' - perhaps wrongly - because it was the terminology used in an articel I had been reading before starting the thread.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 04:11
No, and if it were, more general post-structuralist theories should be taught first. Also, deconstruction should be followed by reconstruction.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 07:57
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The pope, perhaps inevitably, said recently that he believes there to be global war on the family and marriage and that the teaching of gender theory in schools is part of that attack calling it 'ideological colonization'

So I take it the pope is well apprised of the concept of cultural marxism?
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 08:46
I think it should be included as a part of psychology classes but I don't see where it would fit in with the curriculum of a young child. It shouldn't be taught in biology since biology primarily deals with physical sex, not with mental gender.
I don't think gender theory should be hidden from young children, but frankly I doubt it would have enough significance in the life of a child before puberty.

Edited by Ozark Soundscape - October 02 2016 at 08:46
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 09:51
Definitely NO. The kids are at school to learn something useful, not to be impregnated by evil teachings that undermine their identity.

When they have grown up somewhat they can take a little trip back with Father Tiresias Wink.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 11:09
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

I think it should be included as a part of psychology classes but I don't see where it would fit in with the curriculum of a young child. It shouldn't be taught in biology since biology primarily deals with physical sex, not with mental gender.
I don't think gender theory should be hidden from young children, but frankly I doubt it would have enough significance in the life of a child before puberty.

Exactly my thoughts.

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 12:53
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

Same here.....at an appropriate age such a thing might have meaning to a person . Before that it's pointless.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 17:21
I got both, you don't have an option for that.............??
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2016 at 19:01
Yes, y'all need some damn feminism up in here. Read some Judith Butler or something.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:34
Okay, people, let me ask a question: except for Sweden (or Norway, I don't remember), could someone tell me which country ACTUALLY plans to promote to teach this idea?

Does anyone here realise this thread is discussing something that is not even part of any real government plan???
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:46
Would go down well in Fiji ?????

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 03 2016 at 01:49
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 03:38

Okay, people, let me ask a question: except for Sweden (or Norway, I don't remember), could someone tell me which country ACTUALLY plans to promote to teach this idea?

Does anyone here realise this thread is discussing something that is not even part of any real government plan???

Gender studies is a college subject, but the point being made is that although it may not be an actual curriculum subject in schools the principle of being able to choose your gender is increasingly 'encouraged' in the school environment.

I take it from your rather hostile reaction to the thread, that you reject the idea OR you are angered and 'triggered' by anyone questioning it?? Am I right?
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 05:04
Maybe it's a UK government thing, but spending on the National Health Service cut back or denied for some cancer patients and cut back for debilitating conditions for some other people.
Spending on transitions (although even then not all of them) however passed through no worries!
I know where my priorities would go. Find a way to get equal funding and no problem.
You'd just have to then get over the "Teenager feels weird and different for some reason" obstacle.
I'm male, long hair (What's left of it) transition? Not really, not going to solve my problems in the long run and I'm happy being a useless limited male human.
Change the language all you want, there's bigger problems in the world than this "Me,me,me,I am sad and unhappy" stuff.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 07:31
I'm a liberal, and I don't support the teaching of this in schools (not that I think someone has actually proposed it yet though). 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 09:40

Normallu, I wouldn't care, but anything that can upset those idiots, I am for

Edited by Sean Trane - October 03 2016 at 09:41
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 10:13
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_studies

to have an idea of the topic.
The scope of teaching these studies sholud be to encourage the acceptance of differencies: people sholudn't care about others being hetero, gays or lebians as long as they are decent people, while nowadays there are people claiming that if your gay you're a rapist. It's normal being hetero just as is normal being homo: this has nothing to do with your morality.

How to explain this complex topic to a child... well, that's a different thing.
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 11:43
Why not? Giving a person options is usually a good thing. If one can identify an issue before it turns into a
difficult (and quite possibly perceived as shameful) problem, then all the better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>