Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGender theory

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Should gender theory be taught in schools?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [20.59%]
20 [58.82%]
3 [8.82%]
4 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 12:10
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I'm a liberal, and I don't support the teaching of this in schools (not that I think someone has actually proposed it yet though). 

why not?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 12:12
No. High school seems better suited to the maturity level needed for this.

Edited by SteveG - October 03 2016 at 12:14
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 12:33
Isn't the ability to choose one's gender against the liberal doctrine?
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 13:13
Nope.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 13:54
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

I'm a liberal, and I don't support the teaching of this in schools (not that I think someone has actually proposed it yet though). 

why not?
I'm not sure young children are capable of understanding the information well enough to avoid possible consequences. High-school - college would be ok. 
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 14:07

why not?
I'm not sure young children are capable of understanding the information well enough to avoid possible consequences. High-school - college would be ok. 

I think teaching them to accept differencies would fit with the age. And high school/college would be ok with the whole thing
E per tutti il dolore degli altri č un dolore a metā
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 00:30
First off the pope needs to finish putting his own house in order before he even thinks about lecturing other people, he's made a good start but has got some ways to go yet.

Other than that, who gives a crap. I understand the outcry in France a few years back was false rumour started by a bunch of right-wing w**kers for the sole purpose of stirring up other right-wing w**kers and I wonder how much this latest fart in a tin can is pope Frankie doing the same thing. Most people struggle understanding two genders so maybe the ideological people (liberal and conservative) who take pleasure in telling other people how to think, act and behave ought to think about sorting that one out first. No one is too young to understand any of this and no one is too old either.
What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 10:05
Really, the pope is just the head of a big gigantic book club. He's learned but no matter what his education, his worldview is still based on his book club membership so we shouldn't really pay attention to it per se. 

I'm an ideological person, what can I do. I still don;t see the subject of gender, with all its new (or now-accepted) ramifications, as one easy to teach young children. Again, later on I guess it's a good idea. 
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 10:13
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 15:18
I think, as far as kids go, that if they are old enough to have gender and its roles and functions forced upon them, they are also capable of responding to and learning that gender is socially constructed, is something that is more done than something that is. Obviously, I would not be able to teach them this. I do not have a degree in sociology/gender studies or in education. But the fact that kids are capable of implicitly understanding gender, are capable of being able to say things like "those are girl's clothes", etc. makes it seem entirely possible to me that this sort of topic could be included in elementary social studies at a basic level.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 22:45

I think, as far as kids go, that if they are old enough to have gender and its roles and functions forced upon them, they are also capable of responding to and learning that gender is socially constructed, is something that is more done than something that is. Obviously, I would not be able to teach them this. I do not have a degree in sociology/gender studies or in education. But the fact that kids are capable of implicitly understanding gender, are capable of being able to say things like "those are girl's clothes", etc. makes it seem entirely possible to me that this sort of topic could be included in elementary social studies at a basic level.
You obviously aren't a parent either LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist. Wink)

Gender is a sociological construct but sex isn't - no amount of education can affect anyone's biological sex and when that biology kicks in there is nothing you can do to stop it.

Educate the grown-ups first - once they "get it" the rest will follow.

What?
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 22:58
I think institutions should educate the grown ups and the children. In my opinion educating a child (or better, helping him to accept the fact that there are differencies and those differencies have nothing to do with the decency of a person) could help the parents/relatives to "get it" and vice versa.
E per tutti il dolore degli altri č un dolore a metā
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 23:28
Originally posted by CaP CaP wrote:

I think institutions should educate the grown ups and the children. In my opinion educating a child (or better, helping him to accept the fact that there are differencies and those differencies have nothing to do with the decency of a person) could help the parents/relatives to "get it" and vice versa.
It sounds like a plan but it's never happened in the past when changes have been made to the public education of children that the parents simply do not "get". For many this one not only goes against what they have been brought up to believe, it goes against their personal, cultural, religious and political beliefs. The majority of grown ups cannot differentiate between gender and sex.
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 01:39
Rather than inflicting trendy social experiments on kids, how about this...we let kids just be kids. There's nothing wrong with boys being encouraged to kick balls around and girls playing with dollies. If they want to swap toys and clothes fair f**ks to them, let them do it but why do we have to create a curriculum based subject out of what is essentially cross dressing.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 03:05
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Okay, people, let me ask a question: except for Sweden (or Norway, I don't remember), could someone tell me which country ACTUALLY plans to promote to teach this idea?

Does anyone here realise this thread is discussing something that is not even part of any real government plan???

Gender studies is a college subject, but the point being made is that although it may not be an actual curriculum subject in schools the principle of being able to choose your gender is increasingly 'encouraged' in the school environment.

I take it from your rather hostile reaction to the thread, that you reject the idea OR you are angered and 'triggered' by anyone questioning it?? Am I right?

Yeah, I'm trigerred and angered by the fact you've created a thread and a poll about a "theory" that doesn't even exist.
You're talking about a "curicullum" or "trendy social experiments" teached to children, but you don't answer to a question I already asked you: in which country, are there such teachings? Where have you seen any teacher talking about "crossdressing", transexuality or social construction of the gender to children under the age of, let's say, 12 or 15?

Just tell me, just answer that before asking me what I think about a non-existent theory (and its also non-existent teaching).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 03:41
From what I've heard, this "theory" is used by the Zionists to turn all men into women and thus weaken the white race.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 07:25

Rather than inflicting trendy social experiments on kids, how about this...we let kids just be kids. There's nothing wrong with boys being encouraged to kick balls around and girls playing with dollies. If they want to swap toys and clothes fair f**ks to them, let them do it but why do we have to create a curriculum based subject out of what is essentially cross dressing.

What do you think about proper hair length? Many people predicted dire consequences when men started having longer hair than women.

Edited by js (Easy Money) - October 05 2016 at 07:27
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 07:57
Children are imbeciles they should be handled with care 
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 08:29

Okay, people, let me ask a question: except for Sweden (or Norway, I don't remember), could someone tell me which country ACTUALLY plans to promote to teach this idea?

Does anyone here realise this thread is discussing something that is not even part of any real government plan???

Gender studies is a college subject, but the point being made is that although it may not be an actual curriculum subject in schools the principle of being able to choose your gender is increasingly 'encouraged' in the school environment.

I take it from your rather hostile reaction to the thread, that you reject the idea OR you are angered and 'triggered' by anyone questioning it?? Am I right?

Yeah, I'm trigerred and angered by the fact you've created a thread and a poll about a "theory" that doesn't even exist.
You're talking about a "curicullum" or "trendy social experiments" teached to children, but you don't answer to a question I already asked you: in which country, are there such teachings? Where have you seen any teacher talking about "crossdressing", transexuality or social construction of the gender to children under the age of, let's say, 12 or 15?

Just tell me, just answer that before asking me what I think about a non-existent theory (and its also non-existent teaching).

I was using the popes terminology when I referred to 'gender theory' Be angry with the pope, if that helps.

This will tickle you..

Purple penguins
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 09:02
The most important thing to be schooled in is critical thinking and epistemology
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>