Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 25 early Tull - including the good stuff!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Covering what's left. Which is your fave?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.79%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.79%]
2 [3.57%]
4 [7.14%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.57%]
3 [5.36%]
5 [8.93%]
1 [1.79%]
1 [1.79%]
2 [3.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [12.50%]
3 [5.36%]
6 [10.71%]
1 [1.79%]
10 [17.86%]
2 [3.57%]
5 [8.93%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 25 early Tull - including the good stuff!
    Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:37
Dr. Prog has every right to include whatever songs he feels like in his polls, but especially his 68-73 left a lot to be desired. Here's 25 songs that weren't included and I prefer a vast majority of them to his selection (left out TAAB & APP for natural reasons). 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 04:52
Bogenbroom for me. Great track. Mother goose, Aqualing and Wondring again are other strong ones. Most of the others are b grade Tull to me though
Wondring again was in my poll too

Edited by dr prog - October 03 2016 at 04:56
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 06:24
Reasons for Waiting does it for me!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 06:47
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Bogenbroom for me. Great track. Mother goose, Aqualing and Wondring again are other strong ones. Most of the others are b grade Tull to me though  
Wondring again was in my poll too
Ops! my mistake! Otherwise you're wrong of course - missing out the objectically speaking best ones tunes on the near perfect Benefit in favor of some cozy B-side ditties (not talking about Teacher or Witch's Promise, as they are wonderful). But it doesn't matter that we will never agree regarding this - or anything else. 
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 06:49
Locomotive Breath was so much better than every other song by Jethro Tull (not counting TAAB and APP) that it's comical. Probably one of the greatest songs under five minutes ever recorded, for me anyway (which barely puts it in my top 100). 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 07:52
Mother Goose.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 08:33
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Locomotive Breath was so much better than every other song by Jethro Tull (not counting TAAB and APP) that it's comical.
Couldn't agree less. One of my least favorite in the poll.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 09:10
I would vote for all if I could.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 09:44
"With You There To Help Me". One of about three Tull tracks I like quite a bit. "Aqualung" is up there, too.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 12:36
all of these are awesome

voted

To Cry You a Song
Prog On!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 13:07
^Agreed! I can't decide between To Cry You a Song or With You There to Help Me myself.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 13:58
A new day yesterday and Dharma for one are great live at Carnegie hall and in Bursting out. But just good on the studio albums
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 14:01
This is much more difficult.

I'll go with My God over Dharma For One and nearly everything from Stand Up.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 15:18
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Locomotive Breath was so much better than every other song by Jethro Tull (not counting TAAB and APP) that it's comical.
Couldn't agree less. One of my least favorite in the poll.
Probably my least favourite Tull track from their classic period (68-79). That or "Fat Man".

Anyways, voted "Aqualung".
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 15:41
I really like this version of My Sunday feeling. It' turns a good song into a pretty good song

My Sunday Feeling Remix

Edited by dr prog - October 03 2016 at 15:44
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 17:08
Hard to choose from so many great songs; I will go with Aqualung.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2016 at 22:27
tough choice between Aqualung, With you there to Help me, and Nothing to Say.  Went with the latter just to give it some love.  I have said before and I'll say it again, at least until someone finally agrees with me:  Benefit was the only Tull album that shows affinity for the singer/songwriter era, which I do have some affection for.  It makes sense given its year of release.  "Nothing to Say" is one of those tracks and so is the fantastic "Inside"
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 00:47
All the best songs gathered here. Difficult to choose, but went fo With You There to Help Me, although Nothing to Say, Wond'rin Aloud, To Cry You a Song, and Mother Goose are all good contestants.

Tull was really blazing these days.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 04:14
Very , very difficult.

Narrowed it down to We Used To Know and Wondering Again.

I went for Wondering Again.... probably their most poignant; dare I say beautiful song ever. I think the last ever recording with Glenn Cornick on bass.

Why it was later abbreviated to "Wondering Aloud" on Aqualung I will never know.

The original Morgan studio recording is just magnificent stuff and I would love this to be played at my funeral.

From the opening line:
There's the stillness of death on a deathly unliving sea
through to the last chilling verse.......
We wandered through quiet lands, felt the first breath of snow,
Searched for the last pigeon, slate gray I've been told.
Stumbled on a daffodil which she crushed in the rush,
Heard it sigh and left it to die.
At once felt remorse and were touched by the loss of our own,
Held its poor broken head in her hands, dropped soft tears in the snow
And it's only the taking that makes you what you are.
Wondering aloud will a son one day be born
To share in our infancy in the child's path we've worn.
In the aging seclusion of this earth that our birth,
Did surprise. We'll open his eyes.

I cry every time I hear this last verse (blubbering fool I am!)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2016 at 06:19
Aqualung is in my top ten songs
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>