Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYou deepest, darkest Prog secrets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 11:34
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOL. That was easy.. a starter...  let's see how you all do with this one

Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pfff....  newbies... say that to the hand... you missed the good old days of the site...

'John Patrucci's favorite breakfast cereal' will forever be the greatest thread ever seen here...

long since hidden I'm sure... that was bloody, violent and fully of sex when Raff finally joined in...

it is when you saw the Godfather and his vicious elitist crew of rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs,
thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian
agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers,
hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers,
ass-kickers, sh*t-kickers and Methodists descended upon the DT fanboys and oohhhh..

how the blood spilled...

The Godfather referenced with the long quote from Blazing Saddles' Hedley Lamarr? How perfectly odd.

http://www.thekitchn.com/the-cereal-personality-test-what-your-favorite-breakfast-cereal-says-about-you-a-strictly-scientific-quiz-218972

<span ="st">That scag and his floozie, they're gonna die!

</span> I am the Godfather. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!
You should see the forum damage. Huh? metal damage, brain damage.
Heheheh. You listen newbies. I am the Godfather. I'm a fuel injected
suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the
out-of-controller! I'm the Godfather, baby!

The Admins? - they knows who I am. I am the Godfather! I am the chosen
one. The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike the unrforumworthy hahaha!
I'm hotter than a rollin' dice. Step right up, chum, and watch the kid
lay down the rubber road, ride to freedom!

"Do you think this guy's over-doing it a bit?" - John Winger
 A legend in his own mind.

complete with echo echo echo

Haha. That's a killer post. Miss the bad old days Micky. You were a gem. We all got in trouble and somehow became legends of the forums. Miss those days.

yeah.... I miss those days as well.   As much as I'd like to think I could still down a 5th of Jack.. toss a frat boy through a store front window.... dance on pool tables ....and finally toss a cute blond over my shoulder and show her a new religion.. with old age comes settling down.

So welcome to PA's...  the old farts G-rated safe and polite hang-out spot and one stop source for Genesis, Dull, and f**king Camel threads and polls
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 11:40
I am Phil Collins.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 15:35
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I am Phil Collins.

What do we say, do we apologise for all the jokes, praise you for your drumming and singing.......

Or ask you for a loan and copious amounts of signed Genesis Records........Smile
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 16:13
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I am Phil Collins.

What do we say, do we apologise for all the jokes, praise you for your drumming and singing.......

Or ask you for a loan and copious amounts of signed Genesis Records........Smile

No worries Eddie. If I could sing as well as I played the drums Sinatra would've been looking over his shoulder! But I reckon I made a better job of it than that other ponce.

Don't worry, yer signed copy of No Jacket Required is in the mail.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2016 at 18:45
Cool Phil Ill look out for the mail Tongue
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 00:26
To this day I've still not heard one song from Camel or Genesis, and believe it or not I actually have an album from each buried somewhere in my music folder. 

...Guess I really should finally get around to itLOL

Edited by JJLehto - November 07 2016 at 00:28
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 00:35
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

I don't care for Rush, that's my secret. I never understood why they have such a dedicated fanbase, but good for them! Smile

They're solid in my book, but agreed on the hardcore fanbase, and I'll provide my musings on the matter.

I think Rush is so popular because they were simply one of the earliest examples of prog. It was big, new/fresh so naturally scored a huge following, but they really aren't as good as the extreme love they have warrants. 
However, they are forever enshrined as legend. 
Basically: Rush is more history than actual worth. Much like Dream Theater, solid band that was more "wow" for their time as a new thing, and has continued on waaaaaaay too long living off just that nostalgia. 

Guess I should add another prog secret of mine. 
OK I got one. Back in 2005 (under a different name) I joined this site to basically troll and had no intention of getting into prog. It seemed weird and silly to me. 
As I've since fallen out of roughly 80% of the music I used to like pre PA and have fallen in love with all prog related music...joke was on me in the endSmile

Edited by JJLehto - November 07 2016 at 00:37
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 09:56
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

To this day I've still not heard one song from Camel or Genesis, and believe it or not I actually have an album from each buried somewhere in my music folder. 

inb4 Micky comes to lecture you...

Which album(s) by each do you have? Because if you ever feel the desire to delve into their discographies, I'd recommend Nursery Cryme or Selling England By The Pound as the ideal Genesis 101, and Mirage or Moonmadness as the best starting points for Camel.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 10:06

I don't care for Rush, that's my secret. I never understood why they have such a dedicated fanbase, but good for them! Smile

They're solid in my book, but agreed on the hardcore fanbase, and I'll provide my musings on the matter.

I think Rush is so popular because they were simply one of the earliest examples of prog. It was big, new/fresh so naturally scored a huge following, but they really aren't as good as the extreme love they have warrants. 
Basically: Rush is more history than actual worth. Much like Dream Theater, solid band that was more "wow" for their time as a new thing, and has continued on waaaaaaay too long living off just that nostalgia. 

Umm.....

Rush didn't start playing prog until 1975 or 1976. How can they be one of the earliest examples? Prog was already past its peak by that point depending on who you ask.

Nah, Rush is just popular because they're a great rock band, plain and simple. Energetic performances, all three members are top notch players on their respective instruments, tight live shows, and they had a knack for writing catchy riffs and hooks. Oh, that and CRTC regulations on Canadian content. LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 11:36

Oh, fiddle-dee-dee!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 04:19
I think Suppers Ready is only a subpar epic especially when compared to tracks like Echoes. I think it's the most overrated progressive rock song ever.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 12:29
I believe Steven Wilson is a PA member and writes sad emo songs after reading our posts.

I think highly technical prog with time signature changes = true prog

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 12:48

Guess I should add another prog secret of mine. 
OK I got one. Back in 2005 (under a different name) I joined this site to basically troll and had no intention of getting into prog. It seemed weird and silly to me. 
As I've since fallen out of roughly 80% of the music I used to like pre PA and have fallen in love with all prog related music...joke was on me in the endSmile

That's a great storyline "Came for the trolling, stayed for the music."
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 15:38
When I was a teenager I would sometimes walk around with this weird smirk on my face because I saw a picture of Robert Fripp with the same smirk. 

Also, when I was a teen(around more or less the same time as above) I remember running through the woods with my tapeplayer(a walkman I guess it was)and headphones while blasting "the gates of delirium" because I thought it would be a cool experience(and it was). 

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 15:13
For years I thought I owned a copy of Neu!.  Then one day I discovered the internet and realised I owned a copy of Neu! '75.

paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 23:03
I highly value Kid A and Everything in Its Right Place, simply because it has a 10/4 time signature.

And I secretly feel superior to people who don't listen to 5/4 or 7/4 prog songs.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 23:47
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

I believe Steven Wilson is a PA member and writes sad emo songs after reading our posts.
Steven Wilson was a member here for a while and the result was Fear of a Blank Planet. << true story...
What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 00:57
Whenever you see Guy Manning online here he will, without fail, be searching 'Manning' .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678