Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe next neil peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 13:46
being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.
Extraordinary how potent cheap music is...
hukt on fonikzz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 13:55
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

how is it not an opinion "i think neil peart is overrated"
it isnt a fact is it? or can you somehow answer that question for me...
there is no spoon...
walrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 14:18
Zak starkey   hhaha
you and whose army?
Biggles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 15:10

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Neil adds up to a pimple on the PROGRESSIVE
BUTT of Billy Cobham, Phil Collins, Furio Cherico,
Jaki Liebezeit, Carl Palmer, Airto Moreira and
Michael Shrieve - SOME GREAT PROGRESSIVE
PERCUSSIONISTS!

I wouldn't really call Michael Shrieve progressive, although he's an incredible drummer.

I'll have to see if I can download some Peart videos. Maybe then I'll see what this is all about...

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

bartok View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 20:26

My favorites have to be Peart, Bruford, Moerlen, Gadd, and Coliauta.  (Although I love DeJohnette's cymbal work and Copeland's syncopation)

Can't say anything bad about Cobham, but I don't think he's as great as some people apparently do, but then I kind of like the more angular drummers, and Cobham strikes me as too straight-forward (albeit powerful).

As far as the "next" Neil Peart, I think it's a misguided question.  What makes the Pearts, Brufords, or Bonhams of the world great is their unique style and personality.  The next great drummer will have his (or her) own unique style.

Edited by bartok
DarHobo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 20:49

I think Peart is kinda overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, it's good, but Peart is blown up into God-like proportion becasue of it.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.

Edited by DarHobo
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 20:59
Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

floydaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 21:00
Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

I think Peart is overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, its average.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.

I disagree. He is pretty damn skilled to play such a large set well. Though he doesn't use cymbals as much as the more skilled jazz drummers do he has more drum pieces than they do and makes good use of them. He is an incredible rock drummer.

I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...
DarHobo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 21:31
Originally posted by floydaholic floydaholic wrote:

I think Peart is overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, its average.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.

I disagree. He is pretty damn skilled to play such a large set well. Though he doesn't use cymbals as much as the more skilled jazz drummers do he has more drum pieces than they do and makes good use of them. He is an incredible rock drummer.

Yes he is a great drummer, but with the set thing, I know this guy who truely sucks at drums but now he has about a 10 piece and because of the huge set can sound decent.  Becasue more is there, there is more to roll on.  He can now just hit each tom in a 2 stroke succession from high to low and make a decent sounding roll because there is so much, but if he was on a standard 5-piece, thats another story.

Edited by DarHobo
bartok View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 21:59

When was the last time Peart used the "4 miles long" roll?  It's been decades, hasn't it?

decypher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 22:03
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

Mark Zonder

mark zonder is fantastic, very unique and  orignial, at the front of the row with mike portnoy (and of course rick colaluca!!!!).

yours,
perfect symmetry
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 22:27
I don't think any drummer out there is the "next" Neil Peart because the Professor is in a class by himself.A few drummers besides Neil that I admire are Dennis Chambers(very underrated,I never see his name mentioned that much in drum topics),Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 22:34

Some other drummers also deserving a mention:
Christian Vander-Magma
Martin Lopez-Opeth
Paul Cook-IQ
Jason Rullo-Symphony X
Nick D'Virgilio-Spock's Beard
Billy Cobham-Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis

Besides Vander I never see anyone giving these excellent drummers their props.

DarHobo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 23:11
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Some other drummers also deserving a mention:
Christian Vander-Magma
Martin Lopez-Opeth
Paul Cook-IQ
Jason Rullo-Symphony X
Nick D'Virgilio-Spock's Beard
Billy Cobham-Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis

Besides Vander I never see anyone giving these excellent drummers their props.

Yes, they are all good drummers but its true they never get mentioned.

ulver982 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2005 at 23:48
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.

Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.
floydaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 00:04

Originally posted by floydaholic floydaholic wrote:

Yes he is a great drummer, but with the set thing, I know this guy who truely sucks at drums but now he has about a 10 piece and because of the huge set can sound decent.  Becasue more is there, there is more to roll on.  He can now just hit each tom in a 2 stroke succession from high to low and make a decent sounding roll because there is so much, but if he was on a standard 5-piece, thats another story.

Peart makes great use of his set though. PErhaps not as great in studio performacnes but in his live stuff he uses a many different patterns and even this cool little xylophone type thing. I doubt your friend is as innovative as peart who has even been known to include hints of jazz in his playing with traditional style play at times and using Steve Gadds drum fill. No one else that i know of is capable of such skill with a large set(Besides Bozzio who is unbelievably skilled).

I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 06:45
There are a giant amount of drummers in prog that are better than Neil Peart.  Even when Peart was in his prime.  Vinnie Colaiuta anybody?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 12:18

Zoltan Csorz ex Flower Kings

Portnoy is too much like a drum machine and a tad one dimensional.The more I listen to him the less impressed I am.Zoltan can create very good 'feel' in his playing but also cut loose if needed.Peart's strength is his dexterity.He has the technical skills and good 'feel' so Zoltan is the nearest thing to a new Neil Peart.Danny Carey is also a very fine drummer,not far behind Csorz.

bumheed7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 12:37
Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

There are a giant amount of drummers in prog that are better than Neil Peart.  Even when Peart was in his prime.  Vinnie Colaiuta anybody?

off of? my extensive prog knowledge is poor
Good Morning Carpark Fans

Flip_Stone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2005 at 13:16

Peart is good, but he's very-much overrated.  His problem is that once he lays down his drum tracks on the albums, he just duplicates/copies them live, with little or no improvisation.  That's a very stale, lame, and limiting approach to take for any musician.  Just kind of like going through the motions in robot form.

Now, we should point out that he is a very well-read person, very intelligent, and has great writing skills.  The large role he has in writing lyrics and books, is a big plus not only for drummers, but any musicians.

Back to the original question, there are many drummers out there at the same level and higher than Peart.  Familiar names like Bill Bruford, Terry Bozzio, Pat Mastelloto, Phil Collins, Narada Michael Walden, to name a few.  Than there are younger, less-known drummers that deserve note (though none come to mind at the moment). 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>