Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe next neil peart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 21:25

That video was decent- funny thing- my high school drumline played a RUSH show- it was freaking incredible- we went undefeated- against many great drumlines!

ulver982 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2005 at 22:06
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.

I've yet to hear a song by them that the drums Don't work with the song......it's the Less is More style taken to the extreme, but hey, if you don't like it, whatever. 

Yeah, the less is more style is taken to the extreme, almost to far.  Far enough where it makes me question her skills, and from what I heard, not very good skill at all.    Any drummer could fit a lot of songs with the less is more, but I don't think it sounds good.  Adding fills, double timing, etc adds to the song and makes it more enjoyable.  But that's just my opinion.

Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.
Cygnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:07

I am with Zonder. He has a more personal style than portnoy and if you want to hear something realy technical A Pleasent Shade Of Gray is your album.

Fates Warning rule...

Gianthogweed View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:59

I'm not a drummer, so I can't really judge who's better than who, but here are some of the drummers I really like:

Bill Bruford - Just love his snare sound mostly.  Very precise.

Keith Moon - Just a fun drummer to listen to.  Very energetic, always entertaining.

Phil Collins - Similar to Bruford, very precise and accurate, yet very subtle.  Very good style.

Neil Peart - Definitely the best drum solos I've heard came from him.  He's a master.

Carl Palmer - Karn Evil 9 drumming is spectacular.  But I don't always like his drumming.

John Bonham - Overrated, but very good.  I like his fills.

Danny Carrey - Very accurate and complex.  Tool has mastered the rhythm part of prog rock.

Pat Mastelotto - Not as good as Bruford, but he does very well in King Crimson.

GatesOfDelirium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 16:28

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.

I've yet to hear a song by them that the drums Don't work with the song......it's the Less is More style taken to the extreme, but hey, if you don't like it, whatever. 

Yeah, the less is more style is taken to the extreme, almost to far.  Far enough where it makes me question her skills, and from what I heard, not very good skill at all.    Any drummer could fit a lot of songs with the less is more, but I don't think it sounds good.  Adding fills, double timing, etc adds to the song and makes it more enjoyable.  But that's just my opinion.

If she's serving the song, why bother with all of the fills? She seems to get along fine without them. The Stripes are about stripped down music, so having Zeppelin-esque fills would go against the flow.
hukt on fonikzz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 12:15
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

fact? this is ridiculous, no where does it say that neil peart isnt overatted, is this written in some book or magazine ive never heard of? Did someone declare to the world that he is better than everyone? tell me, where is this "fact" you speak of?

It doesn't have to said, it lies within the music he plays; he deserves his credit.  And oh yes, I stated that neil peart is better than everyone else... (sarcasm)   He just isn't overrated, he is certainly not better than everyone else; how the hell would anyone know of the best drummer, its impossible.

well ya i agree with you that he deserves his credit, i did mention that. I also agree that he is not better than everyone else, i never said he didnt get the accolations he deserves. he is an great drummer and has done monumental things, i just cant place it as an actual fact because like you said, how the hell would anyone know of the best drummer?
there is no spoon...
BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 23:26

you gotta give it to portnoy... The sh*t he can play in all that quick time changing 13/16 for one measure then into 15/16, then 17/16, then 14/16 and repeat. And not only can he play it, we can play it well and make it sound very interesting. Plus he has a very good sense of music theory, which alows him to play musically with his drumming, and he is a good writer.

so we give it to the camel!

but if we are talking about the future, my cousin is a drummer. And he is one of the most technical drumers i've ever seen. And i honestly think in years to come we'll all know his name. HE takes influences fomr mostly mike portnoy and jazz fusion drummers. and those two together= insaneness. What i love about his style is his ability to completly seperate all four members of his body.so he can do four different beats at the same time. which, if ochestrated correctly, can be unbelivable. He uses a lot of rythmic modulation( extending a 4/4 measure into 3/4 but the music is staying on the same 1-2-3-4 pattern but the feel is different, for an example) and also he is a musicaina and is proficiant at bass, guitar, violin, piano, and trombone and tuba. So this gives him the musical talent and feeling to make beats and fills that arent jsut cool, but inhance what the music is doing. He's just unbleivable. Once i get an mp3 of him playing, i'll upload it

Edited by BePinkTheater
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
+dreamtheater+ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 16:00

be best than neil peart will be very difficult and i think the next neil perat is not born

KeyserSoze View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 16:35

I have three candidates:

Paul Craddick (ex-Enchant) - listen to his performance on "A Blueprint Of The World", awesome

Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta) - I saw him live and he's really amazing

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) - not so sure about him after ToT, like he lost an invention

+dreamtheater+ View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 19:11
mike portnoy
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 21:32

I just found out about Chris Pienne ( I think that's it) from Dillinger Escape Plan.  A bit more on the Metal spectrum of music, but damn if hte's not skilled.

Also, speical mention to the guy from Can.  anyone who can play the same groove like hje does and never lose my interest gets my vote for great drummer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345