Topic Closed2016 NHL Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:37
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

At least it's encouraging to see Lundqvist still at the top of his game at 35. Keeps my hopes high to one day see Price lift the cup in Montreal.

comparing the level of overall talent simply between Montreal and the rapidly experiencing young talent in Toronto.. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  Goaltenders can and have stolen series...  but never a cup.  Price is really the grade A talent on that team. They need a substantial infusion of talent around him IMO to seriously compete for a cup and as the Caps have proven for years.. even that is often not enough. LOL
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 11:07
Micky, I truly hate to but will disagree with you on goaltenders. Patrick Roy stole the cup in 1993 in Montreal, who had a so-so team but Roy was thief central. On the other hand, that was the rare exception bc otherwise , without a decent team, i doubt that can be repeated ever again. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 17:27
King Henrik put baby Price in his little pocket.

This team is even weaker than I suspected.

The Cup in Montreal in the years to come? Lol
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 17:48
Weaker than you suspected? That team has proven that it can be one of the very best in the league when they play at their best. They went beastmode in the first quarter of the two last seasons starting with 12+ wins and no regular time losses, I watch every game and they were literally unbeatable at that point. Even during this series, they played far better than New York in most games, leading in possession time, shots, and average corsi. They played tight defensively but the Rangers capitalized on every little mistake from Montreal's defense, very opportunistic in contrast to the Habs. If Julien can establish the structure necessary to be consistent and give his players the drive to play at their full potential and if Bergevin can keep Radulov and add at least one good center, Montreal would be one hell of a team.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:00
The last good center we had was Damphousse...200 years ago.

Time to trade Price and Galchenyuk for that big #1 center.

and I give you Nate the great gratis.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:30
Impossible to dare trading Carey Price. He had a rough season coming back from that nasty injury and training all the way through the offseason to participate in the World Cup but I believe that guy more than anybody else in the league has the ability to make a team win by himself.

I'd be all in for trading Galchenyuk though despite his promising potential. I think Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Beaulieu is worth a #1 center in an offseason trade. Perhaps Tavares or Duchene... I'm dreaming but who knows.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:36
I appreciate this team more than it looks, f**king pissed off atm.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:41
I totally get that. I don't even know why I'm taking it so easily myself. Maybe because I did my mourning after game 5, that OT loss was brutal.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - April 23 2017 at 20:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2017 at 20:10
2nd round:

Anaheim (vs Edmonton)
St. Louis (vs Nashville)

New York (vs Ottawa)
Washington (vs Pittsburgh)

I'm pretty confident in my choices for the East but it will be hard-fought in the West for sure. I guess I'm rooting for Edmonton and Nashville now that my team's gone.

Edited by Larkstongue41 - April 23 2017 at 20:20
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 14:18
Great round one (not for my picks, but for actual hockey). Hopefully round 2 will live up to the billing.

Picks:

Sens over Rangers in 7
Pens over Caps in 7

Preds over Blues in 6
Oilers over Ducks in 7
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:01
Looks like my picks are toast since I picked Blackhawks vs Caps.  Blackhawks were dreadful.

Shame that Pens and Caps have to meet in 2nd round, that would be a great conf final, it should go the full 7 games in their usual war.  It should be a good 2nd round... Lets Go Pens!!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:10
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Micky, I truly hate to but will disagree with you on goaltenders. Patrick Roy stole the cup in 1993 in Montreal, who had a so-so team but Roy was thief central. On the other hand, that was the rare exception bc otherwise , without a decent team, i doubt that can be repeated ever again. 

'93 huh... you got me there my friend.  The only thing I remember that year Thomas was drowning myself and my personal demons in bottles (cases in fact) of Jack Daniels in between fronting my band and somehow ending up on the Dean's list at Ok St.  Loved Oklahoma.. but the hockey coverage sucked LOL

standing corrected.. but then again.. Price is and never has been Roy.

Not being attuned to the hate and rivalry.. how much is it going to hurt you guys to see the Leafs win cups.. perhaps multiple as Penguins and Capitals (and Rangers for that matter) are nearing the end of their team shelf lives as their stars start the downslide of their careers and their teams exit their Cup windows. 

Agree with much I am reading...far from a near collapse like years past... the Caps played a very good, even great, series once they adjusted to Toronto's speed (which may serve them well coming up against the Pens).. and they lost if they didn't.  Next year?  A new beast in the east.. that Toronto team impressed a lot of people.. myself included... youth, talent, size, skill, and speed to burn.

Edited by micky - April 24 2017 at 17:11
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:17
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Looks like my picks are toast since I picked Blackhawks vs Caps.  Blackhawks were dreadful.

Shame that Pens and Caps have to meet in 2nd round, that would be a great conf final, it should go the full 7 games in their usual war.  It should be a good 2nd round... Lets Go Pens!!

Beer  hopefully a great one if but a round too early.  Go Caps!!!

Your speed killed us last year... and with the defensive upgrades and the hard earned experience of fighting through a team perhaps with as much talent and speed... perhaps we finally get through you all this year.  If we do...

like last year.. who wins this one.. wins the Cup.

Caps in 6. I think they are simply better this year.. and the Pens just not quite as good (or as healthy)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:28
oh yeah..predictions...

completely blew the west.. with exception of my pick to come ou of the west. Missed the other 3.

Interestingly.. no game 7's in first round...  going with none in the 2nd.  Very definite favorites in these IMO.

Rangers over Sens in 5
Caps over Pens in 6

Preds over Blues in 5
Oilers over Ducks in 6
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

'93 huh... you got me there my friend.  The only thing I remember that year Thomas was drowning myself and my personal demons in bottles (cases in fact) of Jack Daniels in between fronting my band and somehow ending up on the Dean's list at Ok St.  Loved Oklahoma.. but the hockey coverage sucked LOL

standing corrected.. but then again.. Price is and never has been Roy.

Not being attuned to the hate and rivalry.. how much is it going to hurt you guys to see the Leafs win cups.. perhaps multiple as Penguins and Capitals (and Rangers for that matter) are nearing the end of their team shelf lives as their stars start the downslide of their careers and their teams exit their Cup windows. 

Agree with much I am reading...far from a near collapse like years past... the Caps played a very good, even great, series once they adjusted to Toronto's speed (which may serve them well coming up against the Pens).. and they lost if they didn't.  Next year?  A new beast in the east.. that Toronto team impressed a lot of people.. myself included... youth, talent, size, skill, and speed to burn.

Well, you look at dreadful teams in the recent past like the Oilers and the Leafs, who are currently impressing so many fans, one can only surmise that certain teams will revamp (hello Canucks, Black Hawks, Kings and Red Wings) and load up on fast, big and smart youngsters. The pool of world wide talent is there. 
if Toronto wins a Cup , big deal ! They would probably deserve it then. 

I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 18:00
yeah... but something I had overlooked until I read it today...

who is Toronto's GM...in charge of building that team.. something those other teams don't have..  he had already built one multiple cup winning decade plus long dynasty... more than capable of doing it there..  he sure has the parts with only needing to tighten up the talent on the blue line.

I was sort of curious how deep the rivalry ran between the fans and teams up there... obviously we have our own down here with the Pens. Of course we are always the ones getting our asses handed to us by them come playoff time.. so yeah it is probably a one sided rivalry ...reminds me of college where we HATED OU..  they whipped us every year.. and man how we hated it.. and them.. yet their feelings towards us...  nothing more than little puppies nipping at their ankles. LOL
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 18:34
Well Montreal and all those Stanley Cups has a little deeper history, obviously. Toronto represented the English crowd (Maurice Richard was almost viewed as a war hero against the conformist Toronto-led NHL) . The Bad Bruins remain the long time hated adversary. When the Nordiques were around, it was geographical and to an extent societal battle. 
Toronto is a great city but it still struggles with things like fashion and culture , will never be the rebellious non-conformist sexy city Montreal was, is and will always be.
Leafs GM is Lou Lamoriello, not exactly the dullest mind, eh? Great coach in Babcock and former star Shanahan as president. They will be good. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 03:10

Well Montreal and all those Stanley Cups has a little deeper history, obviously. Toronto represented the English crowd (Maurice Richard was almost viewed as a war hero against the conformist Toronto-led NHL) . The Bad Bruins remain the long time hated adversary. When the Nordiques were around, it was geographical and to an extent societal battle. 
Toronto is a great city but it still struggles with things like fashion and culture , will never be the rebellious non-conformist sexy city Montreal was, is and will always be.
Leafs GM is Lou Lamoriello, not exactly the dullest mind, eh? Great coach in Babcock and former star Shanahan as president. They will be good. 

This despite having absorbed almost a half-million Montrealers between 76 and 81, which made Toronto come out of the XIXth C provincial town state of mind  into a modern XXIst C megametropolis...
I saw it happen with my very own eyes, but we still rushed out to Montreal every second w-e to party, booze, toke and get lais

(mmmmhhh!!!... those québécoise were for sure more promiscuous than our Torontonian ice cubes)LOL

==============

Sill upset about the Habs being out, thoughOuch... and between the Bruins (historically my second fave team after the Habs) and the Sens , I'm not unhappy for the SensSmile... And I can't believe those C&W Nashville hicks eliminating in four straifght the CBH Confused. Happy to see the Oilers finally resurfacing though... After all if the Islanders did it last year, the Oilers were able to as well

Is that project to reimplant a QC franchise still on, btw??

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 11:39
To-redneck-onto? Come on, guys.

Yeah they're on the right track but there's nothing impressive about a team who missed the playoffs 10 times in the last 12 years.

J'ai mal au coeur.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 14:41
With the Red Wings not making the playoffs this year for the first time in 26 years, we don't know what to do with ourselves here in "Hockeytown".  Me personally; I have moved on to baseball. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>