Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans - the SW remix
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes' Tales From Topographic Oceans - the SW remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 14:50
Originally posted by Devoncir Devoncir wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Two concurrent threads going on TFTO? Really.

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Yes, TFTO is a BIG, FAT beast. It requires many topics to fullfill itīs redundantly vast complexion  </span>
More like a big, fat tub of goo with a bad complexion.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 19:10
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

The main SW remix version does not include the intro. Both bonus versions of TRSoG, under the title "Dance of the Dawn," are the full track with the intro included.

I, for one, hate that ambient intro!  It drags on & on, sounding like the guitar noodling I used to do when I was first learning (using volume pedal swells etc.).  

The superior Yes mixes, IMHO, are always the original Eddie Offord mixes.  I have a CTTE CD that was a very early CD, cut right from the analog studio tapes.  Sure, lots of hiss etc., just like Eddie would have heard!!  

Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 01:00

Originally posted by Devoncir Devoncir wrote:

Two concurrent threads going on TFTO? Really.

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Yes, TFTO is a BIG, FAT beast. It requires many topics to fullfill itīs redundantly vast complexion  </span>
More like a big, fat tub of goo with a bad complexion.

We true music fans are not interested in your problems. Leave that thing alone.
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 18:56
This remix is really something
The chorus "What happened to these songs we once knew so well" give me goosebumbs -- after 30 years - TFTO as it may have sounded in the head of Jon Anderson and Steve Howe.
Hard to believe music was once so great

Edited by Devoncir - October 21 2016 at 20:31
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 01:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

The main SW remix version does not include the intro. Both bonus versions of TRSoG, under the title "Dance of the Dawn," are the full track with the intro included.

I, for one, hate that ambient intro!  It drags on & on, sounding like the guitar noodling I used to do when I was first learning (using volume pedal swells etc.).  

The superior Yes mixes, IMHO, are always the original Eddie Offord mixes.  I have a CTTE CD that was a very early CD, cut right from the analog studio tapes.  Sure, lots of hiss etc., just like Eddie would have heard!!  

Exactly. Right from analog masters. Hiss and all that analog noise always confuses kids, but they donīt understand that backround noise does not lessen the actual information music in any way, itīs just tape noise. Nothing to worry about.
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
jazzcomputer View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 02:31
About new listenings and perceptions of Yes's music, I'd just liked to report this youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/vzqk50HD/videos

The guy did an incredible job expressing his perception of prog music, Yes in particular. His works covers tons of various tracks. I have spent three of four hours the other night enjoying his work and of course Yes's music I haven't listen to for a long period. It's really worth checking out, with videos on full screen :). My apologies if you all know these videos for years...

--

Yves
http://jazzcomputer.org - Ambient Jazz Music

Ambient Jazz Music : http://jazzcomputer.org/
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:23
One of the "criticisms" of Tales is that it goes on too long. (You get the opposite criticism when you get to 90125 and Asia).

Just wondering how it sounds in one hit on a DD without the tedium and torture of actual motion to change discs.

Or was that the problem? Having to turn over a record all the time to see what happens next?

I'm looking forward to this "new" intro.

I wonder how Yes would have wanted this and CTTE had this technology been available then.
Devoncir View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:42
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

One of the "criticisms" of Tales is that it goes on too long. (You get the opposite criticism when you get to 90125 and Asia).

Just wondering how it sounds in one hit on a DD without the tedium and torture of actual motion to change discs.

Or was that the problem? Having to turn over a record all the time to see what happens next?

I'm looking forward to this "new" intro.

I wonder how Yes would have wanted this and CTTE had this technology been available then.

1 - I don't undestand "too long" when every second is wonderfull -- maybe Can Tago Mago is too long, Meddle IS too long. Maybe the 9th symphonie of Beethoven is too long? - Wagnerīs The Nibelung ring IS TOO long (8 hours?), this I will listen only when I understand german. "Too long" is dumb criticism. 90% of all the criticism in the world is dumb.  Now, with the internet, 99,9%

2 - Without changing discs is better, more fluid, "Revealing/Remembering almost one song

3 - New intro is not really something to look foward. Just sounds of the sea and ambience with sparce notes. 

4 - Yes, I also wonder about that. But then second though: one of the things I like in classic prog is exacltly the lack of technology. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 06:56
yeah.. that is one of the most stupid comments I've heard about that album.  Pretty much any album....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12