Poll Question: Preferred consumption of concert format
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [40.00%]
21 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live albums
    Posted: October 16 2016 at 03:16
A new live album from your favourite prog band of choice (or valued archive release from a classic line up - this is the 21st C after all...) has made it to the shop(s). Hopefully a much anticipated release rather than a fan milking exercise. You shell out the hard earned / won / stolen / borrowed for the one format that you will play the most, or at least derive the most satisfaction.

By which I mean listening to music and watching it performed are two rather different experiences. Or are they?

Do you buy the one that will be most easily and permanently absorbed which I think is a film format. There is after all, a lot of music to be consumed and you can't sit around all day playing the Yessongs album over and over. Well, not again. ...Wink

Of course if the artist / distributor does things right there is the lossless CD audio included with the mp4 audio / video DVD ala Rush R 30 or something live from P Tree. Obviously in this day and age we'd prefer the "both" option in a poll. But that's too easy. So if you had to pick one... do.

Let's see what you think.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 04:53
Great topic: this is an issue I've wrestled with in recent reviews, and the conclusion I've reached (for myself) is that the audio option has more lasting merit, because it engages the imagination more than a video. It's true the visual experience is easier to absorb, but only on a passive level: you're allowing someone else to decide where you'll be looking, whereas headphones give the listener freedom to direct their own internal concert film.

A classic example: the ELP album 'Pictures at an Exhibition', versus the same music presented in the aptly titled 'Rock and Roll Your Eyes'. A modern example: Porcupine Tree's 'Anesthetize', where the BluRay viewer is held hostage by someone else's (typically spastic) editing choices...

A good concert recording can transport you to the arena floor, but watching it on film there will always be that barrier of a TV screen or computer monitor separating you from the performance...

(There are of course exceptions. For me, it's films like the Miles Davis Isle of Wight concert, as seen in the 'Miles Electric' DVD. Or the recently released 'Roxy: the Movie' from Frank Zappa...not by coincidence vintage material, from a time when our collective attention span was still intact...)
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 04:54
interesting question.... really it would depend on the band.

There are some bands that just have to be seen to fully appreciate... I mean come on... given a choice between hearing... or seeing a Who concert circa 1970... hah.  NO contest...  same with the Allmans.  Then again... those two are probably two of the greatest and best live bands rock has ever seen.  I'd toss ELP into the must see rather than merely hear category.

In fact i'd probably only choose audio if were an obscure favorite of mine who hadn't done a live album in their prime.  So I guess my vote is film...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 06:22
Didn't mean to tie the poll, but I prefer audio.
Video means you have to look at the screen, directly at the screen and not around the screen.
Last few gigs I went to, although I looked at the stage most of the time, it was good to look around at other people and the size of the venue.
And at least at home with audio you can close your eyes and not have to worry about things getting stolen off you!
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 06:59
I prefer CD+Video sets.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 07:11
If you want to see the band perform, then the video of course, but if you want to listen to the music, then the audio provides you the best option, without the distraction of the visual performance. So l guess it would depend of what I'm in the mood for.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 07:43
Simple logic...
The video option allows you to immerse yourself in the full experience of a live performance.
If you find the video lacking in production values or smothered in effects (aforementioned ELP Pictures at an Ex.) all you have to do is not watch or turn off the TV and just listen.

Guns and condoms rule folks...
"Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 09:09
I would go for audio because it's a lot easier to put a CD on than sit down and watch a DVD. Also you can do other things whilst the CD is playing. I have a few excellent music DVDs but I hardly ever watch them for this reason.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 10:02
Depends entirely on the band for me. 

If it's a band that puts a lot of effort into their stage presence or the visual component of their show, then it would be incomplete not to have a DVD.

But if it's just going to be four or five guys standing around strumming their guitars with minimal showmanship, I'll just get a CD. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 10:06
most bands have scores of live albums.. even more if you go into boots...  visual presentations are much more rare and thus valued.

Granted most are just 4 or 5 standing around playing.. and still even more are just note for note redictions of the studio stuff.  Perhaps that is why there are only a diffinent handful of groups I'd even be interested in live material from over and above what is out there already.. and thus tend to be the ones who should be seen as well as heard to be fully appreciated.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 10:39
I prefer film, if I can find it, that is. I never saw, or will see, my favourite bands live, so having a visual document means the world to me.
          Still trying to track down the ABC In Concert performance of Triumvirat (1975) and the Triumvirat simulcast of Spartacus broadcast in Orlando, Florida (1975).
                    Will not rest, until I have these.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 10:47
I'll repeat what has been said - depends on the band. I'd definitely love to see a live Henry Cow DVD. They used to set up the stage with old lamps so it looked like an old ladies' dining room from the 40's. And when musicians are multi-instrumentalists, I've always found it incredibly satysfying to watch them switch instruments.

Aaaand sometimes I'd rather not see the ugly, silver plastic digital MIDI keyboards, that erhmm . . . some keyboardists of older prog bands use. LOL
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 10:47
Love watching live performances.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 12:27
Nowadays I prefer to get the DVD, but only end up watching it a couple of times.  From then on, I just listen.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 13:36
Film
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 14:28
Audio. I rarely ever re-watch videos. I enjoy videos as much as the next guy, I think they're awesome, but I'd rather have the music and listen to it whenever I want to without having to sit down and watch it every time.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 15:56
The audio is the essential. The video is an optional.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 20:51
In ideal circumstances, I prefer the performance with video, for indeed it is great to be able to see the band play the music. But CD's are easier to listen to, and you don't need so much free time to listen to them (well, actually you can put the video on and just listen to the music whild you do something else, but that would be just about the same as just putting it on CD). And the most important point for CD's is that you can rip the music and make compilation CD's, or put them in my IPOD lists and so on, and listen to them wherever I want along with whichever other music I want.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2016 at 23:00
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The audio is the essential. The video is an optional.

Au contraire, I myself prefer to experience my live albums exclusively through an intricate combination of braille and "scratch-and-sniff" panels.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 01:32
both can work fine
I have a few live albums and I have a few DVDs as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>