Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg vs Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog vs Jazz
    Posted: October 17 2016 at 06:47
I was with a member of my family yesterday who has no timer for any kind of rock music.
Radio 3 played Memphis Blues  by Louis Armstrong.
He told me that there is more music in that than all of progressive rock

I told him that was nonsense. Yes it swings which prog doesn't do and its good at doiing what it does which is feel good music.

But there was no intensity. No building to any kind of climax,   There wasn't the enormous amount of musicianship that goes into progressive rock, not to mention  the constant desire to push the envelope that exists in prog.
Nor any sudden changes in direction. No subtleties to reward further listens.
And most of all. No intensity. I must admit I do love intense prog.
But as far as he is concerned there is no music in rock and jazz is a million times better.  And he really believes that.

I think that is bollocks and with the possible exception of some classical, progressive rock is musically superior to any other genre of music.  By its very nature and ambition.
What do other people on here think?
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 06:48
Sorry about the typos. I typed that in a bit of a hurry
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 07:31
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I told him that was nonsense.
and rightly so

with the possible exception of some classical, progressive rock is musically superior to any other genre of music.  By its very nature and ambition.
but now you're wrong. Oh, with the possible exception of Beethoven, Bach etcetcetc... you mean? - Memphis Blues is from a time when jazz was pop and not the right kind of jazz for this discussion. Go listen to 60's to early 70's jazz of all kinds for atleast a couple of years - then come back and tell us what you think. 
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 07:41
I always like to think that if jazz began in the end 60's / 70's it would be part of prog. 
Could be a nonsense thought because jazz didn't start earlier without a reason.

Edited by DDPascalDD - October 17 2016 at 07:42
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 07:53
Saperlip.... I do love a lot of Mozart and Beethoven. The latter's 7th symphony is sublime. So dark. But there is a lot if rubbish classical our there. Stravinsky and Shoshtokovitch spring to mind.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 07:58

I was with a member of my family yesterday who has no timer for any kind of rock music.

I told him that was nonsense. Yes it swings which prog doesn't do and its good at doiing what it does which is feel good music.

But there was no intensity. No building to any kind of climax,   There wasn't the enormous amount of musicianship that goes into progressive rock, not to mention  the constant desire to push the envelope that exists in prog.
Nor any sudden changes in direction. No subtleties to reward further listens.
And most of all. No intensity. I must admit I do love intense prog.
But as far as he is concerned there is no music in rock and jazz is a million times better.  And he really believes that.

I think that is bollocks and with the possible exception of some classical, progressive rock is musically superior to any other genre of music.  By its very nature and ambition.

Seems to me both you and your relative need to expand your musical bandwidth.....Most genres (except Country and the Fab Four Dead LOL) have moments of superiority or these other attributes you listed, especially Jazz.
My wife and I just last week went to see Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, we were front row pit section and it was an excellent and amazing musical experience with plenty of intensity, power, creativity and massive musical changes of direction. Some of the pcs they played were 10+ minutes long, creating amazing musical journeys.
Grant it these were probably the finest most talented 15 jazz musicians on one stage, it's rare you get that kind of experience on stage at a prog concert.

What do I think?? That you should not limit yourself to just this prog stuff....... 
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 08:05
Seems to you I should expand my musical band with? ?????? You are welcome to visit my abode and peruse my CD collection of about a thousand CD albums. Although about 60% is prog or prog related, you will also find stuff from virtually all music genres there. We'll apart from rap, garage or hip hop obviously.   
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 08:36

But there is a lot if rubbish classical our there. Stravinsky and Shoshtokovitch spring to mind.
The latter genius happens to be my favorite composer of all - and not rubbish. Prog's got nothing on Shostakovich (or Stravinsky).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 08:42

Seems to you I should expand my musical band with? ?????? You are welcome to visit my abode and peruse my CD collection of about a thousand CD albums. Although about 60% is prog or prog related, you will also find stuff from virtually all music genres there. We'll apart from rap, garage or hip hop obviously.   
Well one can only go by what you posted and this statement by you is pretty clear that you prefer only prog-rock......."progressive rock is musically superior to any other genre of music." Which of course that statement is bollocks! LOL

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 09:46

But there is a lot if rubbish classical our there. Stravinsky and Shoshtokovitch spring to mind.

>Stravinsky and Shostakovich
>Rubbish
Pick one.

Honestly, I much prefer Igor Stravinsky to Beethoven or Mozart, as important and influential the two were. Stravinsky is in fact one of my favorite composers alongside Bartok, Bruckner, and Messiaen. But, of course, that tells nothing. Anyway, could you please elaborate why you think Stravinsky and Shostakovich are rubbish? I'd love to know what makes people say such things. I understand you don't have to love them, but saying they are rubbish denies the quality of their music, from my perspective.

But there was no intensity. No building to any kind of climax,   There wasn't the enormous amount of musicianship that goes into progressive rock.

May have been just that one track. I fail to see how jazz does not have any intensity or does not build any kind of climax.

For example, solos on Charles Mingus' "C Jam Blues" from Mingus at Carnegie Hall build extremely strong tensions, have numerous climaxes.

And if by any chance you happen to say that jazz does not require an "enormous amount of musicianship that goes into progressive rock", take the first video of Allan Holdsworth, Charlie Parker, Scott Henderson, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett (I could go on for hours).

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 17 2016 at 10:01
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 09:51
If i may ask, you are that ones that hates non-70s prog and hates avant-garde movements and modern music?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 11:16
So you're just continuing the cycle of hatred that your family member started? This topic is pointless.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2016 at 13:54

You are clearly talking from an hypothetical position, how the heck we know that there are any objective criteria that authorize claims that one kind of art is better than another?
Anyway truth be said, in practice there is no need for such a proof, since hardly anyone really holds such a relativist view. We may say: You can't argue about taste, but when it comes to art we care about, we almost always do. 

For example, fans of popular music may respond to the elitist claims of classical music with a facile relativism. But they abandon this relativism when arguing, say, the comparative merits of the early Beatles and the Rolling Stones, by putting forward objective standards from which you argue for a band's superiority. Arguing from such criteria implicitly rejects the view that artistic evaluations are simply matters of personal taste. You are giving reasons for your view that you think others ought to accept. 

Further, given the standards fans use to show that their favorites are superior, we can typically show by those same standards that works of high art are overall superior to works of popular art.

Edited by Tillerman88 - October 19 2016 at 04:31
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 01:28

I think your opinions are bollocks.
/thread]

Seriously, do you really believe what you're writing or are you there just to start a flamewar like any maniac troll would do (and, then, sit in a comfy sofa and watch the world burn...)?

Progressive rock, musically superior to any other genre of music? In which or whose terms?
"By its very nature and ambition"? We're discussing a branch of Progressive ROCK, a genre which would be disimissed and mocked by true connoisseurs of Classical music or Jazz - and I'm only talking about Western music, I don't even dare to venture in the domain of Indian, Japanese or Chinese musics (and don't forget about African traditions in which polyrhythms are too complex for Neil Peart).

Maybe I shouldn't answer to this thread as I only slept 4 hours this night and it makes me a little irritable... But this thread would bring no more than negative opinions.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 01:55
Couldn't agree with the OP less. "Which genre is better?" is a pretty meaningless debate in the first place. But FWIW jazz has given us some of the most innovative, creative and ambitious music to be made in the last hundred years. Nobody is forced to like it of course.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 03:59
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

But FWIW jazz has given us some of the most innovative, creative and ambitious music to be made in the last hundred years. Nobody is forced to like it of cohurse.

These are some of the most common objective standards that I've heard about prog rock on prog sites. Again, as I said above, you are rejecting the view that artistic evaluations are simply matters of personal taste. 

And this thread can perfectly lose any kind of sense by saying that music is too personal a medium to support an absolute hierarchy of values. 

Edited by Tillerman88 - October 19 2016 at 04:02
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 04:02
CPicard 
Well I've never been accused of being a troll on here before. If you look at my various posts on this website, you'll see that I'm quite clearly not.
Maybe this thread was a mistake, but its disappointing to to see lovers of prog failing to stand up for it.
Heaven only knows it gets enough bile directed at it from external sources.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 04:14
^I'm not a prog nut by like some of it as much as any other popular music or 'high art' (or Art Music, for that matter). But just can't agree with devaluating some music in order to elevate your subjective individual preferences.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 04:32
^^  Ok I get it. Maybe this thread was a mistake.   But I am certainly not a troll.  
Merely a flawed human who made an error of judgement
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2016 at 04:42
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

But FWIW jazz has given us some of the most innovative, creative and ambitious music to be made in the last hundred years. Nobody is forced to like it of cohurse.

These are some of the most common objective standards that I've heard about prog rock on prog sites. Again, as I said above, you are rejecting the view that artistic evaluations are simply matters of personal taste. 

And this thread can perfectly lose any kind of sense by saying that music is too personal a medium to support an absolute hierarchy of values. 

I don't particularly mean to generally reject the idea that artistic evaluations are matters of personal taste, which is actually something I largely agree with. This doesn't necessarily entail that ALL evaluative statements concerning music are entirely subjective, however. Is a piece of music "good" or "better than" another piece? I would agree that is purely subjective. But to look at the terminology I actually used:

Innovative: This is reasonably capable of objective assessment. Had anyone played piano the way Art Tatum did before Art Tatum came along? To the best of our knowledge the answer is no. His playing is well known and has been much discussed. Commentators at the time and subsequently have failed to identify an obvious precedent for his style; it was singular. There are fields of serious intellectual and practical endeavour where the question of what is innovative is treated as an objective one - notably patent law.

Ambitious: Somewhat more subjective, but not entirely subjective. It's reasonable to suggest that undertaking the composition of the St Matthew Passion was an endeavour of larger scope than the one the Macc Lads took on when they sat down to write Sweaty Betty. That doesn't make Bach "better than" the Mac Ladds, obviously.

Creative: You largely have me here, anyone doing more than playing a piece learned by rote is unarguably doing something "creative" and even the rote player is creating something. Yes, what is "more" creative is largely subjective. Though again it doesn't seem utterly subjective to suggest that there was more creative juice involved in Charlie Parker's solo on Lover Man than there is in a kid playing Chopsticks. Still, it's a pretty sloppy term to use, no argument.

I'm not a philosopher of course. And thank God for that   

Edited by Mascodagama - October 19 2016 at 04:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>