Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEarthkind for Symphonic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earthkind for Symphonic Prog
    Posted: October 17 2016 at 16:01
Hello proggers everywhere! 

My name is Tony Parsons and I am a 19-year-old progressive rock/jazz drummer from the U.S. Since late 2012 I have been working on a one-man project called Earthkind, using a Digital Audio Workstation to create my own brand of instrumental progressive rock. My influences include Rush, Genesis, Dream Theater, Yes, Porcupine Tree, and many other prog bands. The music can be described as heavy, symphonic rock with elements of metal, New Age, and electronic music. I have released three albums so far, Earthkind, Two Trails, and Goodbye Waves, which you can purchase from CD Baby, Amazon, Google Play, or stream on Spotify. I would consider Earthkind to be Symphonic Prog, but please let me know if it would fit better in another subgenre.

Here are a few links:

http://www.earthkindmusic.com/

CD Baby page:
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Earthkind

Earthkind - "The Floods to Come" on House of Prog Radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1kEjszDlyA

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope you will consider adding Earthkind to the world of ProgArchives. Smile

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 15:05
Listened to your stuff on spotify, and found it to be quite excellent! There are certainly plenty of symphonic aspects to the music you create, but due to the many other elements and influences that go into it as well, I'd be surprised if our Symphonic Prog team would consider it to be a sufficiently close fit for you to be added to the site in that particular sub genre. That said, I think it is absolutely essential that you are found a home on here somewhere, because this is some damn fine instrumental prog indeed, and music of which you should be extremely proud. Clap

Let's see what a few others make of what you have created, and maybe a consensus will then be reached regarding which team should be asked to start the evaluation off. I'm tending to think perhaps Heavy Prog would be worth a shot, since there are a fair few 'metallic' touches mixed into your music, but not really enough to interest the Prog Metal team itself, I don't think...But I could be wrong! LOL

Anyway, hope you don't mind me including the spotify link here - it just might encourage our collabs to have a listen straight away if they don't have to do a search first. Embarrassed

Thumbs Up

Edit: Oops!...Forgot to put the hyperlink in lol! - Fixed now. Smile

....Aaaaand added to progfreak: http://progfreak.com/Earthkind-167432.html. (Tony - if you're not entirely familiar with the way some of our teams track the progress of their evaluations, progfreak is the site used by the Heavy Prog and Prog Metal teams...but NOT the Symphonic team. When the evaluation starts, you will see a 'PA' tab to the right of the Overview and Discography tabs when you follow the above link, and if you click on that it will open up another page that will show you any votes that have been cast.  Smile).

Edit: Fixed progfreak link which wasn't working. Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - January 31 2017 at 15:56
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 15:57
Originally posted by ProgDrummerTony ProgDrummerTony wrote:

Hello proggers everywhere! 

My name is Tony Parsons and I am a 19-year-old progressive rock/jazz drummer from the U.S. Since late 2012 I have been working on a one-man project called Earthkind, using a Digital Audio Workstation to create my own brand of instrumental progressive rock. My influences include Rush, Genesis, Dream Theater, Yes, Porcupine Tree, and many other prog bands. The music can be described as heavy, symphonic rock with elements of metal, New Age, and electronic music. I have released three albums so far, Earthkind, Two Trails, and Goodbye Waves, which you can purchase from CD Baby, Amazon, Google Play, or stream on Spotify. I would consider Earthkind to be Symphonic Prog, but please let me know if it would fit better in another subgenre.

Here are a few links:

http://www.earthkindmusic.com/

CD Baby page:
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/Earthkind

Earthkind - "The Floods to Come" on House of Prog Radio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1kEjszDlyA

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope you will consider adding Earthkind to the world of ProgArchives. Smile

I will see if I can listen to this on the train to London tomorrow, if nothing else for the incredibly nice introduction and suggestion made

I am not a part of a team which evaluates such matters these days, but will post my opinion sometime tomorrow night.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
ProgDrummerTony View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2016 at 17:32
I'm so glad you're enjoying Earthkind! I agree that Heavy Prog is probably a more suitable subgenre for it, especially considering the strong metal influences. Symphonic Prog and Progressive Metal are without a doubt my two favorite subgenres of prog, so I suppose Earthkind would be somewhere in the middle. Tongue
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 16:03
Hello, I was just wondering if there was any update on whether or not Earthkind will be added to ProgArchives anytime soon. There is absolutely no hurry, as I know these processes must take a long time. I'm just so excited to have my own music included on this wonderful website Smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 16:13
Also, I would like to mention that I've released a new Earthkind album since my last message in October. It's called Down to Earth and it tells the story of a team of skydivers and the high altitude jump they make. Here are a few links:

CD Baby

Spotify:

I hope you like what you hear! Tongue

Edited by ProgDrummerTony - January 30 2017 at 16:16
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 04:47
I have notified the heavy prog team
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 14:45
Thanks very much, I appreciate it! Smile
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 15:57
You can follow the progress of your evaluation here: http://progfreak.com/Earthkind-167432.html?path=pa/recentSmile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 17:25
Awesome, thanks for the link! Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 21:05
Interesting stuff. Sounds very good. I added some of your stuff to my wishlist on cdbaby.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 17:52
Hey Tony, I just gave you thumbs up for HP.  One more vote and you're in!  One thing that gave me pause was the "keyboard-oriented" focus of your music.  Don't get me wrong; I love keys.  But when you think "heavy" you don't usually think of keyboards.  But I found there to be sufficient "heavyness" that I decided to give the yes.

Also the fact that you already have four albums, I was a little hesitant to vote before listening to them all, and honestly didn't want to take the time to do so.  Most new recommends only have one or two albums!  In the end I listened to the latest two, but I think I'm secure that the others are similar.  Will certainly listen to the others at some point, "in my own time".

Good luck!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 17:36
I'm loving this.
Very original.
Clap
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 07:57
Definitely prog, we are trying to find you the proper home on the site
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 14:58
I'm thinking Crossover might be a good place.
Let's see what the rest of the team says.

Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply