Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Forget Yes - The R&R HoF Still Hates Prog"
    Posted: October 20 2016 at 08:36
jc
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 08:51
I am not sure I want my favourite prog groups/artists inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. It stopped making sense a looooong time ago, when they decided to focus on popular music over rock and suddenly went ahead and included hip hop and pop acts.
Reminds me of people who insist on being called vegetarians, because fish aren't animals y'know? The above comitee though has it backwards.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 09:45
RnRHoF is waste of space 
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:22
It should be call the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame" if you ask me. What a band needs is recognition from their fans, not from a bunch of lunatics who have no idea what to write and compose music is.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 17:24
Like the Grammy's, it celebrates popularity more than quality.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 17:35
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It should be call the "Rock and Roll Hall of Shame" if you ask me. What a band needs is recognition from their fans, not from a bunch of lunatics who have no idea what to write and compose music is.

I entirely agree with you !

They already indicated Michael Jackson 
Ramones and Madonna 

and.... the next attraction  is the  fantastic, extra-ordinary .......  Justin Bieber !
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 21:36
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Let's see...
Jethro Tull - over 60 million albums sold
The Moody Blues - over 70 million albums sold

No, if that were the case, these two bands would have been in decades ago. More than half the bands in the Hall can't match these sales. Conversely, it can't be a quality issue either, because there are bands whose body of work does not match the quality. It is, rather, a known dislike by Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone for specific types of bands.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 07:31
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Hey! Cut the Grammy's some slack! Where else can Tull best Metallica for Best Hard Rock/Metal album honors?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 08:21
The reason that rock music isn't taken as seriously as jazz and classical or even film is because critics focus on commercial successes more than creativity and talent.

Hell, even the Oscars hand out awards to movies that didn't sell super well sometimes.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 11:34
To paraphrase Robert Fripp, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is irrelevant.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 12:10
The RRHF continues to make decisions that make me not care about the RRHF.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 17:34
The RnR HoF simply reflects Wenner and his buddies' tastes, and Rolling Stone magazine was never very amenable to progressive rock.

Re the article the first post in this thread linked to, the voting page on the HoF site notes that the fan vote, collectively, only counts as ONE ballot, amidst about 800 total ballots that will be filled out (mostly by critics, industry folks, etc. who Wenner and his crew have hand-picked to be eligible to fill out a ballot).
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 01:03
All critics should be arrested because of bad taste.
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 01:49
The Hall of Fame is not a national or international public body, it's an american-owned private enterprise that makes millions of dollars for its owners and backers and they will naturally honour those who will give them the highest return on that investment, so who seriously gives any flying fux about it anyway?
What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:12
I still hate the R&R HoF.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:13
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

who seriously gives any flying fux about it anyway?

A lot of people. Rock and roll represents a lot to people and the Hall earns a lot of ire for it's methods. They do more to cause and further bitterness and resentment (Purple).

No, RS and the HOF do not know or appreciate what it is to write and compose. This is why dead critic Bangs was more concerned  about Iggy vomiting than say Steve Howe's Mood For A Day. Frankly I think they are a bit nuts.

The trouble is that the two things rock represents are not synonymous. If it were about music ELP would be right there right now. The two things are music (not just yer prog rock of course but the actual technical bits - and this means all prog rock). The other bit is what most people argue about whe arging pop music and that is cultural identity (music and culture is where metal collides.)

Unfortunately it is the Hall of Pop Culture. If some pop rap rock act has a pop cultural impact (NWA, Madonna, Pistols) then that is of significance. It is not about music or depth of technical expression. There is some depth of other expression as NWA represent.

I always found it amusing to the point of ridicule that musicians can be deemed bad, inferior, irrelevant for being as good and in many cases as brilliant as they can be while an unfortunate incompetent such as Sid Vicious is lauded. If people wanted to listen to good music why listen to punk? Yeah, a few decent tunes turn up but not that many.

Further irony. This is bad enough among teenage pop fans. But septuagenarian critics arguing teenage "ideals" is really embarrassing. This is the sort of thing that prevents rock from a lot of serious i..e. classical scrutiny. Granted, most rock acts could not take serious critique but some prog rock bands can withstand and indeed earn serious plaudits.

Sadly, the vacuity perpetuated by Wenner and Co diminishes all the good music that is done and even undermines their own pop culture values causing more irritation among the fans.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I hate the whole idea of it. Hall of Fames are for sports, not art.

Has anyone been to the R&R Hall of Fame? It's a museum dedicated to rock. So if they called it the Rock and Roll Museum, I'd have no problem with it - a guitar Hendrix played, some stage props from Pink Floyd, Ringo's drums sticks, a drop of sweat from Elvis collected in a jar, a wisp of Jim Morrison's curls.

Edited by jude111 - October 22 2016 at 05:39
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 05:57
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I hate the whole idea of it. Hall of Fames are for sports, not art.

Has anyone been to the R&R Hall of Fame? It's a museum dedicated to rock. So if they called it the Rock and Roll Museum, I'd have no problem with it - a guitar Hendrix played, some stage props from Pink Floyd, Ringo's drums sticks, a drop of sweat from Elvis collected in a jar, a wisp of Jim Morrison's curls.

I've visited it.

Call it a museum? While well, very true, and a good idea and also more accurate, it would have the poor old boys running it swooning at the idea. Museum means extinction. Death. Preservation for historic purposes. They want their own relevance.

I'm surprised they have not nominated Rolling Stone as the greatest pop magazine of all time.

It is worth looking out for that Keith Moon interview.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 06:34
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

The reason that rock music isn't taken as seriously as jazz and classical or even film is because critics focus on commercial successes more than creativity and talent.

Hell, even the Oscars hand out awards to movies that didn't sell super well sometimes.

well...  it isn't that rock isn't taken as seriously...  there always have been blow back against those who try to take rock too seriously and you bet your ass prog bears the brunt of it.  The spirit and ethos is 4 guys in a garage learning a couple of chords and making a sh*t ton of noice. Energy.. passion...not creativity and talent.. that was rock symbolizes to some.. in which any swinging dick can learn a few chords...  write a great song and become a star.....that is rock

and many of those who believe that (and who is really to say they are wrong) are now bitter old men sitting on the R&R HOF board LOL

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 07:15
At risk of sounding boring, I'll repeat what I have often said whenever the topic of the RRHoF comes up. I wonder how otherwise smart people have to get so upset about their decisions. They are a joke anyway, and I couldn't care less about what they love or what they hate. Look at what they did with Deep Purple - refusing to induct Steve Morse (who's been with them longer than Blackmore) and Don Airey, as well as their original bassist, Nick Simper. As far as I am concerned, they don't deserve a second thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>