3 [3.33%]
2 [2.22%]
2 [2.22%]
4 [4.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 14:14
69-75.....the best period ....the groupings above are a bit off imho.....Hot Rats 1969 was the start of his 'jazz fusion period' in some ways even though he still did other things in and around that.

Edited by dr wu23 - May 08 2018 at 14:16
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 18:47
Impossible poll. I've been hugely enjoying everything up through 1979. Ship Arriving, from the 80's, is really good too(classic album). 

As far as being a musical genius I'd probably only put the Beatles ahead of this man. 

Edited by YESESIS - May 08 2018 at 18:50
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 19:26
Francesco Zappa period.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 19:36
As wonderful as the rest of his career was, it would have to be the MOI era for me.  I bought Freak Out when it appeared in E. J. Korevette (one of the earliest mass market stores to carry records in the NY Metro area).  I saw the MOI multiple times in '68, '69 & '70.  I also saw later bands, and enjoyed the later albums.  There's no question that the musicianship improved over the early years.  But I loved the Dada sense of humor, and I think Frank's lyrics were more pointed in the early years.  This period also includes Lumpy Gravy, and I'm a huge fan of his orchestral music.  Lumpy Gravy is my favorite Zappa album, despite serious competition.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:12
Whichever era has Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:40
Definitely Over Night Sensation  - Apostrophe -  One Size fits all. Probably my three favorite Zappa albums.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:45
Too difficult. Depends on my mood. I'm very much in electronic music right now (TD, Schulze and more modern things). So I'll give my vote to the last period.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 09:26
'75-'79!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:30
Absolutely the first Mothers period!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 14:07
I voted Wazoo period, but really to me it makes more sense to look at different musical strands rather than chronological periods e.g. I'd say one of the strands in Zappa's work I enjoy is 'modern classical Zappa', which in fairly pure form only takes in a few albums, but starts with the very first Zappa solo album Lumpy Gravy in 67 and concludes with the last, Yellow Shark in 93.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 09 2018 at 14:08
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 02:02
The fusion period, just over the one after it.  
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 02:12
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Fusion period for me is Hot Rats, Waka / Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo plus Imaginary Diseases. '69 and ' 72. Damn his inconsiderate inchronology. ;)

The Wazoo double CD and Little Dots are also pretty essential if you love this phase.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 10 2018 at 02:12
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 03:23
For me, I love the Uncle Meat / Weeny / Weasel’s period a whole lot, but I spend more time with the Zoot / New York / Sleep Dirt / Orchestral Faves / Studio Tan (Lather period ?). Love early 80’s too. Bloody hard to choose actually
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 16:52
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

For me, I love the Uncle Meat / Weeny / Weasel’s period a whole lot, but I spend more time with the Zoot / New York / Sleep Dirt / Orchestral Faves / Studio Tan (Lather period ?). Love early 80’s too. Bloody hard to choose actually

That's what I'm sayin lol. I love Studio Tan. I think the whole Greggery Peccary thing at the beginning turns people off but I love it.. keeps getting better and better as it goes along basically. And then the rest of the album most people agree is very good. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 02:05
^ Love Greggary Peccary - too much fun. I actually prefer it to Billy The Mountain !!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:11
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Love Greggary Peccary - too much fun. I actually prefer it to Billy The Mountain !!

I do too, definitely. So much fun like you said, but then.. he's kind of known for that isn't he. Look at Who Needs the Peace Corps, Yellow Snow, pretty much the whole Joe's Garage, and tons more examples. He's just a genius of the highest order, what more can be said. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 17:41
^      
The Central Scrutinizer..........never gets tired !!
I love his humour, wit, sarcasm etc. one of a kind, NEVER be another Zappa.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 19:37
I always thought that the verb To Zap, To Channel-hop came from the name Zappa. I still believe today.
Pigwheeler View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pigwheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 20:25
The period from Absolutely Free up to the Jazz stuff, that is his best and most innovative music - not a second wasted on those albums!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 20:39
It's handily the Triple Album Period (ya' gotta' love it).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>