3 [3.33%]
2 [2.22%]
2 [2.22%]
4 [4.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Frank Zappa Period
    Posted: October 21 2016 at 17:51
Your Favorite Frank Zappa Period.

There were many more periods that could have been added to the poll, like Studio Z, Hot Rats etc. 

List your fav.

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 21 2016 at 18:30
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 20:50
Over-nite Sensation / Apostrophe / one size fits all. I like all the periods, though. I could've voted for the fusion period very easily too. My truly favorite output of his is his Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar box set, but that didn't really fall into any of the eras listed.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 20:58
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Over-nite Sensation / Apostrophe / one size fits all. I like all the periods, though. I could've voted for the fusion period very easily too. My truly favorite output of his is his Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar box set, but that didn't really fall into any of the eras listed.

Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar was 1981, with boxed set in 82, so would be during the listed Early 80's Joe's Garage - Them or Us period.

I have the 3 CD boxed set myself.........

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - October 21 2016 at 20:59
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 21:51
Had to go with the fusion period. Do love the original Mothers a lot, too. And how's about '88? Cool
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 15:06
^ '88 would be in the 86 Jazz from Hell - YCDTOSAM period
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 15:54
Currently, the fourth option.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:01
Can't really choose, but first vote for Civilization phase III. I simply adore that music. 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 18:56
Option 4
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 19:23
Option 4 seems to be the most popular, would say this is the sweet spot for the more casual FZ listener.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 20:38
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar was <span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12.32px; text-align: center; : rgb249, 249, 249;">1981, with boxed set in 82, so would be during the listed </span><span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">Early 80's Joe's Garage - Them or Us period.</span>
<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">I have the 3 CD boxed set myself.........</span>

Yeah, and reasonably so. The trouble I was having fixing it to a period was that, if memory serves me without actually looking, the material was a collage of live stuff from the late 70s.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 02:56
From "Apostrophe" to "Joe's Garage " and "Man from Utopia"
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:10
Good poll - Zappa's overall contribution to music is inestimable.  I am just listening to Civilization Phase III for the first time - possibly his most inaccessible works and not likely to win any popularity contests but its scope and imagination is breathtaking.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:21
Fusion period for me is Hot Rats, Waka / Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo plus Imaginary Diseases. '69 and ' 72. Damn his inconsiderate inchronology. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 15:56
Still no one showing somw love for Flo and Eddie, not really surprising.........

Thou I do enjoy there own albums sometimes Illegal Immoral........... is bloody funny
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 08:41
I went with the first and second options as Uncle Meat and Weasels are my favorite Zappa albums. I'll maybe also vote for the third option, as I love Wazoo as well.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 15:03
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I went with the first and second options as Uncle Meat and Weasels are my favorite Zappa albums. I'll maybe also vote for the third option, as I love Wazoo as well.

Good reasoning agreed, my favorite album is Uncle Meat, closely followed by Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Weasels the last two being early 70's albums which were going to be part of a 10 album release of MOI stuff - some of which has probably ended up in the YCDTOSA series......
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:30
It would have to be the triple album period, wouldn't it? Wonderful musicianship abounds.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HosiannaMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:34
Jazz fusion period closely followed by Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe and early period. Big smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:42
Fusion era from '72-'75ish for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 14:10
Between Option 3 and 4 for me.

I'll go the latter this time. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>